Seamus - cause for celebration = fast master?

katadder

Question

As seamus is written he is currently a 4 action master as he has cause for celebration as a free action. In the cost it says he may remove a corpse marker on the enemy table half, doesnt say he has to do it to get an extra action. thought we were getting away from fast masters? Is this the case or does it badly need a rewrite?

:ToS-Fast: Cause for Celebration 2" - -
This Action can only be taken if this model is this Crew's Leader. This model may remove target Corpse Marker on the enemy table half .This model may take an Action. If this model removed a marker to take this Action, the generated Action may ignore any special requirements listed in italics.

9 answers to this question

It’s intended.

As Seamus has been my main master since Rising Powers back in 1e I heavily paid attention to his evolution through the closed and open betas. Most masters have 3 actions and a bonus action that is often as good as if not better than a standard action so Seamus’ advantage is just that he can be more flexible.

For myself the 4th action is mostly used for a second jump. I’m experimenting with a more melee focused Seamus to try to capitalize on this ability to do potentially 4attacks on his as well as attempting to abuse “Hello Love” but those tests have not gone well as of yet.

1 hour ago, Morgan Vening said:

It's not unique, in that Toni Ironsides can also do it in almost exactly the same way.

And regarding Seamus and Toni, it's really no different to any other Master. To get the fourth regular action, you're forfeiting your Bonus Action. Most Masters go 3+:ToS-Fast:. Seamus and Toni go 4.

Kind of but Toni has to use up her resource to do it. Seamus just does it with no cost.

Also Seamus gets to focus shoot that gun, then charge for still 2 attacks.

2 minutes ago, katadder said:

Kind of but Toni has to use up her resource to do it. Seamus just does it with no cost.

Also Seamus gets to focus shoot that gun, then charge for still 2 attacks.

Right, but it's still 4 actions, which is the same as most Masters, just with the added versatility of not having any one of those actions count as a :ToS-Fast:. If it didn't have the second caveat cost, it'd be no different in most cases to having .50 Flintlock be a :ToS-Fast:, like Colette's Sword Trick.

He gets a little more versatility, but is still not doing significantly more than most Masters, and with the first caveat of the ability, unlike Toni or Colette, he has to be taken as the Leader. I'm not sure I like that giving the ability requires tying yourself to this one crew (or OOKTaxing yourself heavily), is a good idea from a balance perspective, but it is what it is. If you want a 4 action unrestricted Master, then it means you have to deal with Redchapel for the rest of your crew.

Personally, I'd have liked if Cause for Celebration required you to be on the opponent's half of the board just to use it, but ehh, I'm fine with it.