Marcus M3E Tactics

Pastori

27 minutes ago, Pastori said:

The thing is that I have not hit once with him😑.. good points though, especially on forage end game denial. Next time I try him I will try to make an effort to spare a high card for him so maybe he will hit eventually.😚

Not a bad idea to spare a hand card for it since it does give you at least two attacks.

And if you managed to get Adversary (Beast) on the target, that second attack (or two) will be on +flip too.

• Like 2

Crockett is a power multiplier model; as said above he is there to punish model engaged with beasts. Note scent of blood isn't a trigger, so the generated attack can use triggers. And also note the :-flipto damage, it's better in min 3 damage beasts.

It's kind of a perfect storm but a hit to a model engaged by a sabertooth (or any beast with horns) that also get the coordinated attack can trigger 3 aditional attacks (Scent of blood attack that get onslaught, onslaught attack, coordinated attack), only with min damage that's 11 damage in 1 AP if everything hits; so it's the kind of attack that's really worth to cheat, specially with a mask. Also the damage track isn't bad at all 2/4/5.

Plus the utility of Forage of course.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

SS upgrade carrying Cerberus is probably the single best model.

FTFY :P

Yeah, the cat is the best option; maybe also Grit on Bear with horns (harder to set up) or Scorpius for not-SS and triggers versus some targets (more situational).

In NVB there are a few cool options too, not as savage as the SS cat tho. A Rougarou getting "Flay" may cheat for 6 damage, the bandersnatch with horns is also amazing when buried (the other model cannot run away from her, nor can hide behind to break LoS with Crockett; plus built in Onslaught), maybe some condition shenanigans with the Grootslang or wisps/Adze, Adze healing...)

A doubt: If a model is damaged by Cojo's Rampage trigger (but not by the main attack) while Cojo has Serrated Teeth and Claws. Does that enemy gain Adversary (Beast)?

The key is if being damage by a trigger but not by the main attack count as being "damaged by this model's :meleeActions".

Ty in advance!

@Ogid

Rulebook pdf page 12:

Action Triggers
Action Triggers are tied to specific Actions and can only be used with that Action. They are found below an Action’s effect and are subject to all game effects that affect the Action

By my reading Blood in the Air is a game effect affecting the action, ie. Rampage gives out Adversary.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few questions for Marcus players:

When you are planning what models want to hire in a Marcus crew, do you usually also consider which mutations are going to put in each model or just hire what go well for that game and then adapt? Do you usually have all mutations attached by turn 2 (asuming no kills) or does it takes longer? Which are your go to mutations for your favourite beasts? How many mutations (and which) do you usually put on the Jackalope?

Which is your favourite task for Marcus after all the mutations are in the table? Does he start to use call of the will as often as possible? Inflict adversary with Serrated? Put Wings on him and go to scheme? Use him as a tarpit with Armor? Keep using Chimerancy because you are using Adaptive Evolution a lot / models are dying left and right at that point?

@Ogid

1) I strongly consider mutation allocation pre-game. I can set up 4 models (including 1 Jackalope) with mutations t1, that puts a cap on how many beasts I can reasonably hire. And when hiring them I try to have a spread of them to have enough "optimal" mutations for everyone. [edit: I can do more, but 2ap for 4 mutations is my comfort zone in this regard]

2) I don't necessarily have all my mutations attached ever, but most for sure. Standard operating procedure is: 4 mutations via Chimeramancy, 1 via Marcus, 1-2 via Myranda (and Order Initiate). T2 I add another 2 mutations. Assuming single Myranda/Initiate, that's 8 mutations down. T3 I might add another mutation or two but often I can't spare the AP. Depends on the game state. T3 mutations go on Jackalope and if I absolutely need something on someone else.

3)

• Cerberus gets Camouflage/Wings/Serrated, usually one of the first two. Really depends on what my opponent has.
  • Blessed of December gets Camouflage, Wings or Horns.
  • Slate Ridge Mauler gets Armour t1 and Horns t2.

4) Jackalope gets Serrated and then any left overs. Often Horns or armour. Actual mutation effects are secondary.

5) Marcus tends to obey charges and try to set up adversary (not necessarily with his own attacks), then companion into a beater beast. Often he plays in bit of an offensive bubble with Jackalope and Bear or some other beast. But he's flexible, double walking 14" and Interacting is certainly a thing I've done. I don't use a whole lot of chimeramancy in t3+, apart from on Jackalope. Admittedly I've been a bit lazy with Adaptive Evolution, so that might well change in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ogid said:

A few questions for Marcus players:

When you are planning what models want to hire in a Marcus crew, do you usually also consider which mutations are going to put in each model or just hire what go well for that game and then adapt? Do you usually have all mutations attached by turn 2 (asuming no kills) or does it takes longer? Which are your go to mutations for your favourite beasts? How many mutations (and which) do you usually put on the Jackalope?

Which is your favourite task for Marcus after all the mutations are in the table? Does he start to use call of the will as often as possible? Inflict adversary with Serrated? Put Wings on him and go to scheme? Use him as a tarpit with Armor? Keep using Chimerancy because you are using Adaptive Evolution a lot / models are dying left and right at that point?

I think one of the great things about Chimera is that every model can do every one of the things you've listed. Marcus does any number of things depending on the board state and objectives. Sometimes hes commanding Cojo to nuke a model, sometimes hes Planting Explosive and Scheme Markers, and sometimes Lady J murders your whole crew so he's gotta get in there and finish her off.  And while hes not the best at any one of those things, hes not "ok" at them either, hes just good at doing everything. 

My turn one is consistently Marcus gives out 4 upgrades to not-Myranda, bonus actions, and walks. Maybe when I get more experience I will get more creative, but for now its a great way to waste an opponents activation without committing to a side of the board and the upgrades are so important. 

Cojo gets Horns, Vogel gets Camoflauge because my opponents like to focus him, Rattler gets Armor, Cerberus gets Wings, and the Jackalope starts with Teeth because it turn him into a great support piece. I can chuck him at the enemy and tie them up while putting out Adversary as my first activation. After that the Jackalope just gets w/e upgrade I need least, since the most important thing about it is the increase to duel total (which affects leap) and the extra life it gives. I dont know what you mean by "have all mutations attached." If you are asking if I jsut stop using Chimeramancy after turn 2, definitely not. The trigger to heal on it can be very strong, and I pass around Wings and Plating to whoever needs it

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mycellanious said:

I think one of the great things about Chimera is that every model can do every one of the things you've listed.

Yep, that's one of the best part of the keyword and also why I'm wondering how other people play, Chimera is a keyword that offers a lot of flexibility.

My turn one is consistently Marcus gives out 4 upgrades to not-Myranda, bonus actions, and walks. Maybe when I get more experience I will get more creative, but for now its a great way to waste an opponents activation without committing to a side of the board and the upgrades are so important.

This is a good opening; I was also thinking about using chimerancy three times in turn 1 and then toss Marcus with Cojo in a list with at least 7 Chimeras (need to test it). It's also possible using that 4 mutation opening but activating Myranda first to attach an upgrade so she can get 2 upgrades in turn 1 (usually better if she is going to use beast form in turn 2)

I dont know what you mean by "have all mutations attached." If you are asking if I jsut stop using Chimeramancy after turn 2, definitely not. The trigger to heal on it can be very strong, and I pass around Wings and Plating to whoever needs it

I was wondering If players aim to use Chimerancy 4 times (stonning/cheating Quick Reflexes) in the 2 first turns (so 8 mutations attached with Chimerancy, 1 to Marcus and 1 to Myranda for the all 10 in play), or they take it easier and only attach 6-8 in the first 2 turns to be able to command beasts or advance quicker (and then keep adding mutations later while healing). I know this depends on the game, just the general game plan. Also after the first turns I was wondering if players like more to focus in command beasts, send Marcus to sidequests or they use adaptive evolution to cicle mutations for suits and :+flip(hence having to use again chimerancy to reattach those, which would also let Marcus heal those beasts with that trigger)

About Mutations I like to see some similarities:

• Jackalope:  Serrated is also my favourite and I also see him as a model to dump the least useful mutations for that crew; after serrated the one I like the most is Armor to make harder to trigger the Demise.
  • Cojo: Horns is an stapple; but I also feel he needs 1 defensive mutation with how squishy he is, depending on the enemy team Wings or Camo.
  • Vogel: I also like Camo, it keeps him safe and is useful to both forms; my second favourite for him is Wings if the range 2 of the beast within is useful. Something I want to try with The beast within is using Armor + Claw for a more ofensive role focused only in the beast, not in Vogel (someone tried this?)
  • SRM: Good to see Horns+Armor/Wings (depending on the other crew) is the more standard pick for him. I want to also see how he performs in a dedicated tarpit role with Armor+Wings.
  • Cerberus: These 3 are its best by far.
  • The blessed is kind of a wilcard for me: These 3 works quite well, but any mutation works well on her; both Armor and Claws are also legit.
  • Rattler: Armored plates the best, agree. It doesn't really need a second one, but after Armored anything goes well.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

Assume Arcanist Marcus is your only Master available (because currently, that's my situation). What crew would you take with Marcus into Reckoning?

I would probably look to mobility on big hitters to allow me to pick the fights I want. I would probably avoid easy to kill models, so its probably a fairly  elite list. Cerberus, Duet, Blessed, maybe the mauler and the emissary. Try and avoid the big hitters on my opponents side until I can swarm and kill them in 1 go.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

Assume Arcanist Marcus is your only Master available (because currently, that's my situation). What crew would you take with Marcus into Reckoning?

IMO, most of the Chimera are good for Reckoning.

Take Myranda (she can later shapeshift), take Cojo with Soulstone Cache, Ferdinand Vogel, Paul Crocket. Then you can take another Beast among Scorpius, Mauler, Cerberus or Rattler.

I think, it would be nice to take Scorpius with Diesel Engine in case you need Concealment and other boni. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

Depends a lot on the pool and the other crew, but you should capitalize in the best hitting combos and support of the crew:

Beatters:

• Cerberus (Wings+Camo) + SSC (+High cache and miners) + Paul: A lot of damage and mobility
  • SRMs (Wings/Armor+Horns) + SCC (+High cache and miners) + Amina + Paul: A lot of damage and sturdy bubble.
  • Cojo (Horns + Camo/Wings/Armor): Best Marcus companion for damage but it's light in defensive tech, so careful with this one.
  • Blessed (Horns + Wings/Armor): Not the best hitter but a good balance between offense, mobility and defense.

Supports:

• Jackalope (Armor + Serrated + Any non-useful mutation that game): Be annoying, spread adversary like the plage and engage models that would be dangerous for other models.
  • Myranda (Any): Good Heals, :+flipto defense, extra charges, extra card draw and the ability to replace fallen Cerberus/SRM/Blessed.
  • Paul (Camor or Nothing): Extra attacks from Sabertooths, nuff said.
  • Scorpius (Armor + Any): Not the highest damage in the crew but it is sturdy and the ability to shut down SS may enable kills in Henchmans/Masters.
  • Vogel/The beast (Camo/Wings): Low damage but sturdy and good supporting abilities (probably I'd use Vogel as a support more than the beast)
  • Rattler (Armor): Low damage but very good tarpit; throw him into a beater that can't disengage with leaps and things like that and keep him there as long as possible; trigger shielded activating him early (a bit of help from Vogel Shielded would help the turn he is moved into position tho).

Then some fitting OOK/Versatiles:

• Swarms/Miners/Duet/Rider/Joss/Captain/Envy...

I'd probably go with 2 mutations per beast (3 in Myranda if she is used as a beast instead of a support) so I'd include 3 Chimeras aside from Jackalope (2 of them probably with SSC) and then some OOK models or Chimera models that work well without mutations or with few mutations. I'd try to wait until turn 2 to clash to get all mutations attached before and I'd bring a generous cache to be able to back my SSC models and stone Chimerancy Quick Reflexes if needed.

There are a lot of good options in chimera to clash tbh; I'll give some examples trying to stay in keyword as much as possible:

A generic crew:

• Marcus (Serrated), Jackalope (Armor, Serrated), Myranda (Horns), Cojo (Camo, Horns), Cerberus (SCC; Camo, Wings), Scorpius (Armor, Wings), Miner (MT), 6SS. Myranda will cicle Wings each turn for a card, heal and spread some Poison to models near of the Scorpius.

Facing a crew without good defensive tech versus cerberus (Terrifying, Armor, Butterfly jump...) and in a pool that also has things like outflank or breakthrough I'd consider this list:

• Marcus (Horns), Jackalope (Armor, Serrated), Myranda (Armor, Horns, Serrated), Sabertooth (SSC; Wings, Camo), Sabertooth (SCC; Wings, Camo), Miner (MT), Miner/Paul, 7SS. Myranda will shapeshift into the blessed (or maybe SRM having low Wds for extra damage) if more damage is needed or if spreading the crew if necessary; but she may also stay most of the time in human form supporting and acting as a tarpit.

Or in one where controling the center wins the game (like Claim Jump + Harness) versus a mainly mele crew then a bublish crew like this could be a good call:

• Marcus (Serrated), Jackalope (Armor, Serrated, Camo), Amina, Myranda (SCC; Armor, Wings, Horns), SRM (SCC; Wings, Horns), Paul (Camo), Miner (MT), 5SS. Myranda will shapeshift into a SRM in turn 2 and will be a beater.

Hope it helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AskM3L8r said:

@Ogid Does Beast Within/ Vogel Keep his mutation when he replaces/transformed?  

I've been told they "fall off" when they are replaced. Myranda being an exception to the rule.

During the Beta, he was losing his Upgrades but now he keeps them.

Please see in the app his Shapechange Ability:  "without discarding any Upgrade".

Valid for Ferdinand and The Beast.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, AskM3L8r said:

@Ogid Does Beast Within/ Vogel Keep his mutation when he replaces/transformed?  

I've been told they "fall off" when they are replaced. Myranda being an exception to the rule

As said above yes, they do.

In fact Shapechange (Myranda), Shapechange (Ferdinand Vogel) and Shapechange (The Beast Within) all have the exact same wording, only changing the name of the model it is becoming; so if one keeps the mutations, all do.

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful advice @Adran, @Ming & @Ogid. I currently have access to all Chimera options, but not many of the Versatile and OOK models mentioned.

In my first attempt at Marcus into Reckoning, I think part of why it didn't go well for me was that it was a low soulstone game, so there weren't enough models to really get the synergies going. I am looking forward to trying Paul Crockett to give Sabertooth Cerberus, or another big beastie, additional attacks!

I also took 2x Order Initiates. I found the Initiates useful in Turf War and Vendetta, particularly with the Feathered Wings mutation attached and using Call of the Wild. But they did nothing for me in Reckoning other than concede VP when they were squished. 😅 I couldn't even use them for Vendetta because of their ss cost compared to those of my opponents crew. Would've been much better off with 2x Sabertooth Cerberus!

• Like 1

Glad to help @Scatterbrain :). ARC has a very good versatile pool, sooner or later you'll want to get your hands in those; also the SSC + Miner is soo good in this crew. But you can play without it with no problem.

For example, take the 2 cerberus list above and make the following changes for a full in keyword lists:

On 1/23/2020 at 11:50 AM, Ogid said:

Marcus (Horns), Jackalope (Armor, Serrated), Myranda (Armor, Horns, Serrated), Sabertooth (SSC; Wings, Camo), Sabertooth (SCC; Wings, Camo), Miner (MT), Miner/Paul, 7SS.

• Marcus (Horns), Jackalope (Armor, Serrated), Myranda (Horns), Sabertooth (SSC; Wings, Armor), Sabertooth (MT; Wings, Camo, Serrated), Ferdinand Vogel (Camo), Paul, 7SS.

Vogel will be able to give Shielded+2 and some healing to any of the sabers; that's less safe than attuned but should be safe enough; the MT sabertooth lose the ability to stone Onslaught so high masks should be reserved for him and Adaptive Evolution can also be used in a pinch to get that trigger (that's why Serrated is reserved to it in turn 3; if it survives until then Serrated will be used to get that trigger once per turn). The SSC sabertooth is getting Wings + Armor this game; this is to enable an extra way to get extra attacks with him thanks to Vogel: Put Shielded on that Cerberus and attack him with Vogel (you can also charge that cerberus with Vogel because it has no Camo), relenting to cheat a low mask and get Stick 'em trigger; which may let that saber charge getting 0 damage most of the time thanks to armor+shielded. Myranda will be a support in this game until something dies, turning into the blessed then if more damage is needed.

Or the generic one:

On 1/23/2020 at 11:50 AM, Ogid said:

Marcus (Serrated), Jackalope (Armor, Serrated), Myranda (Horns), Cojo (Camo, Horns), Cerberus (SCC; Camo, Wings), Scorpius (Armor, Wings), Miner (MT), 6SS.

• Marcus (Serrated), Jackalope (Armor, Serrated), Myranda (Horns), Cojo (Camo, Horns), Cerberus (SCC; Camo, Wings), Scorpius (Armor, Wings), Paul, 8SS.

Same list but with Paul and 2SS extra instead of the Miner (MT). Losing the extra card hurts a bit but Marcus and Myranda will give 2 cards per turn and Adversary also helps to keep pressure out of the hand so it's not that bad.

Chimera big model pool and mutations really let you play the keyword however you want; that's the best part of chimera, feel free to experiment.

8 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

In my first attempt at Marcus into Reckoning, I think part of why it didn't go well for me was that it was a low soulstone game, so there weren't enough models to really get the synergies going. I am looking forward to trying Paul Crockett to give Sabertooth Cerberus, or another big beastie, additional attacks!

I also took 2x Order Initiates. I found the Initiates useful in Turf War and Vendetta, particularly with the Feathered Wings mutation attached and using Call of the Wild. But they did nothing for me in Reckoning other than concede VP when they were squished. 😅 I couldn't even use them for Vendetta because of their ss cost compared to those of my opponents crew. Would've been much better off with 2x Sabertooth Cerberus!

I think Marcus can do well in low SS games too; with Myranda + 2 other Chimeras around 7-10SS he has enough models to make good use of the mutations, and even with 35SS you have enough to get those 2 and still have some SS for a small model to run schemes or some upgrades and extra cache.

Initiates are controversial models, some players like them, others not. I wouldn't pick more than 1 (if any); and definitely not in Reckoning, but that's just me. As said above, feel free to experiment :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Played 3 games today all with Marcus. 

Tied vs rasputina turf war game 1.

Won vs titania cursed idols game 2.

Won vs von schill reckoning game 3.

Game 1 I killed a fair bit of his crew but hadn't read the 2nd point of deliver a message so let his ice dancer live and she tied it up at the end of the game.

Game 2 titania killed crockett turn 1 but I managed to move the first two idols and hold my opponent off from moving any.

Game 3 saw hannah one shot my Cerberus carrying magical training 9 damage!!! Managed to get a couple of reckoning points though + breakthrough.

Myrandas healing and +df aura really stood out in both wins.

Took the same crew in all three games.

Marcus+vogel (Arcanists)
Size: 50 - Pool: 4
Leader:
  Marcus
Totem(s):
  Jackalope
Hires:
  Sabertooth Cerberus
    Magical Training
  Ferdinand Vogel
  Hoarcat
  Myranda
  Paul Crockett
  Blessed of December

• Thanks 1

Nice list.

A few questions, do you rather not using the SS cache and instead have more models? 4SS is enough cache for you? How are you using the Hoarcat? To redirect attacks from Marcus or does it have another role? There are 8 Chimeras/Beast in that list, which is your mutation allocation (and how many mutations does the Jackalope usually get)? What are Myranda and Vogel usually doing?

3 hours ago, Ogid said:

Nice list.

A few questions, do you rather not using the SS cache and instead have more models? 4SS is enough cache for you? How are you using the Hoarcat? To redirect attacks from Marcus or does it have another role? There are 8 Chimeras/Beast in that list, which is your mutation allocation (and how many mutations does the Jackalope usually get)? What are Myranda and Vogel usually doing?

Yes i prefer an extra card every turn and shielded from magical training.

I usually go with either natural camo or feathered wings on the cerberus armour on myranda and marcus, horns on the jackalope and haven't really worked out what im doing with vogel so either give him camo or wings as well. 

Try to keep myranda near marcus early on to help cycle cards and keep them both healed later i like to throw horns on marcus and charge him into the fray I didnt shapechange myranda once this weekend the +df aura and healing meant she and marcus both took a lot of attacks without dying.

• Thanks 1