Jump to content

Last list you played: Outcast edition


Gnomezilla
 Share

Recommended Posts

 Von schill vs shen long

reckoning 

deliver a message (I picked)

outflank (they picked)

vendetta (they picked)

claim jump (I picked)

take prisoner

von Schill

steam trunk

hannah

arik with hires merc

engineer 

freikorpsman with hired merc

librarian

vs

shen long

2x students 

yasunari 

emissary

Sensei yu 

High River monk (I think)

upgrades all over (like 10 stones worth) 

the only reckoning point scored was in turn 4 on shen long with the freikorpsman. I was gonna kill yu turn 5 but we called it. He could kill anything based on board position and his vendetta was completely shut down (monk on my engineer who was always in the back). I got 2 points for claim jump and one for deliver a message. He got two for outflankz

twice I should have blown up his models (yasunari and emissary) but I flipped black joker on positives leaving one at 2hp and the other at 1hp. He ran them away to heal. 
 

arik was able to shut down his flight and I finally did the upgrades right. Shielded kept the librarian alive who soaked 8 ap without dying (barely survived). 
 

loving this crew and now need to get them all painted!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, psychogeek said:

 Von schill vs shen long

reckoning 

deliver a message (I picked)

outflank (they picked)

vendetta (they picked)

claim jump (I picked)

take prisoner

von Schill

steam trunk

hannah

arik with hires merc

engineer 

freikorpsman with hired merc

librarian

vs

shen long

2x students 

yasunari 

emissary

Sensei yu 

High River monk (I think)

upgrades all over (like 10 stones worth) 

the only reckoning point scored was in turn 4 on shen long with the freikorpsman. I was gonna kill yu turn 5 but we called it. He could kill anything based on board position and his vendetta was completely shut down (monk on my engineer who was always in the back). I got 2 points for claim jump and one for deliver a message. He got two for outflankz

twice I should have blown up his models (yasunari and emissary) but I flipped black joker on positives leaving one at 2hp and the other at 1hp. He ran them away to heal. 
 

arik was able to shut down his flight and I finally did the upgrades right. Shielded kept the librarian alive who soaked 8 ap without dying (barely survived). 
 

loving this crew and now need to get them all painted!

How did you avoid the irreducible damage from Shenlong? To me that is the trickiest feat given that the Freikorp rely so heavily on armor and shielded. Not a matchip I've played but one I have avoided. Maybe I'll have to try it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Alerteddonkey42 said:

How did you avoid the irreducible damage from Shenlong? To me that is the trickiest feat given that the Freikorp rely so heavily on armor and shielded. Not a matchip I've played but one I have avoided. Maybe I'll have to try it. 

He got it several times but he had to stone for it and I tried to make sure if he was getting the trigger he was either on neg flips or he failed the attacks. He nearly killed the librarian twice. She had lots of shielded from the upgrade too so he had a hard time bringing her down. And she kept healing and the steam trunk healed her too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Leveticus - He was a staple for me in second but I I have been playing Von Schill and the Vicks in 3e so this was my first real stab at him this edition.  My list was ...

Leveticus

2x waifs

Rusty

A&D

Deso Engine w/servant

Marlena

2x Necropunks

 

Vrs a Marcus List with lots of nasty leaping beasties and creepy mole guys crawling around underground.

 

We drew at 5 each

I scoured 2 off Search the Runes and one off Assassinate (Rusty put him below half but then kept right on going and keeled him) and 2 off Turf War.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday I played two games, both with the same list:

Jack Daw, Ligeia, Hanged+SoDP, 2 Guilty, Dead Outlaw, Effigy, Montresor, Prospector, 5 SS cache

First game against one of the best players in our meta (Turf War): Mah, Little Lass, First Mate with upgrade (it just wrecked everything in my backyard), Spawning Mother, Gracie, BBB. Lost 8-1.

Second game against a guy that has recently started playing M3E (Reckoning): Kaeris, Eternal Flame, Mech Rider, Firestarter, Elijah, Carlos and a Fire Golem. Won 7-6 but it was really hard to get some points.

 

All in all, I have recently started to play Jack Daw and I just LOVE him and how his crew works. I find him a little bit lacking in some things (deep or even mid-table scheming), and even though I like the Dead Outlaw-Guilty-Prospector combo for 3-stoning the first turn, I think there are other things to do with this crew and I don't know what I would change. I love the Hanged, and I love the pressure Monty puts on the table, even more when combined with JD's aura and the Hanged doing shit all around the table and making people discard cards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I tried swapping in the effigy for the ‘Leveticus farms stones’ variant, and while he did rake in four in two turns (one of whom was Dashel himself), there were times when I would desperately have wanted those 4ss running schemes instead. Maybe if it hadn’t been corner deployment with a bloodless turn 1, the desired outcome would have been more in the favor of more stones.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last list I played:  

 

Viks vs Lady J

 

Viks x2

Ronin x2

Student of Conflict

Midnight Stalker

Bishop

Desperate Mercenary

Big Jake

 

Wedge deployment, Turf War, Hold Up, Breakthrough, Claim Jump, Detonate, Power Ritual.  Took Break and Claim

I misread the text and though you could use Jake's 2nd appearance for Claim Jump.  But he's so low wounds that didn't help anyway.  

I was worried about Lady J tearing through my crew, so I though Bishop could help control her with Challenge, and Midnight Stalker could help with adversary.  Didn't end up using either of those on Lady J because I was able to take care of her in Turn 3.  Midnight stalker had the 2nd purpose of being my scheme runner - he did fine at that.  

Bishop didn't really do anything useful.  Desperate Merc was there just to be another body, but it's useless having him in a corner by himself in Turf War - he dies too easy, then I have nobody nearby to flip that marker back.  Still, he took out the Scales of Justice - Scales has the ability where damage he cops he deals back.  At least with Jake I'm like 'so what?  I kill you, I die, I'm back in 2 turns'

Student was utterly useless.  I think she managed to land fast twice on Big Jake or something.....big whoop.  Probably could have taken another desperate merc instead.  

Ronins did precisely zero, as always.  One was supposed to run up along with Bishop but got killed early despite being in cover, oh well.  The other lasted a little longer, but didn't really do much.  Having said that, they ignore armour and my opponent had a peacekeeper which was his claim jump target - therefore, my Ronin's became a priority.  So, I guess they helped a little in that regard.  

If I want her for fast, would probably be better if there's another big hitter like Taelor.  As it stands, the big hitters all had 3AP anyway, so she's stuck giving out fast to the weaker models.  

Ended up being a draw.  My markers in the backline were flipped by models dying and nobody was near enough to flip them back, and it was low scoring overall.  Stalker got himself engaged in Turn 5 and couldn't leap out, so I couldn't drop my final Breakthrough scheme markers.   

I don't really feel like I missed Vanessa too much.  Never been a fan of her.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dropped prospector, stones, and a copy of Servant from my usual Leveticus list for a necropunk, effigy, and child, for more significant scheming actions into Turf War and to give so many targets Von Schill’s scouts couldn’t snipe them all. That part worked, along with a lesson that sometimes it’s possible to backtrack through the dense terrain and cut off LoS even for snipers who ignore ‘most everything else. Also we learned that Von Schill couldn’t keep cards in hand. It was not a good time, for him, to find that Pride and Alyce were finding a respectable number of crows, or that he couldn’t afford the focus tax. [There is a thought struggling to form here about the costs of mass focus via pulses or auras, and how it mostly doesn’t have one, and how neither Dashel nor Von Schill have focus spam going despite it being a front-of-card ability—but whether it’s ‘remove their tax’ or ‘properly tax all mass focus’ is not yet clear.] At any rate, VS’ guns were all flipping minimum damage 2 quite a lot, often against Armor 1 targets. Hannah beat the everloving snot out of Ashes and Dust on double positive damage flips, but otherwise the Freikorps couldn’t finish the job. Visual effect of the night was Marlena’s tiny teddy charging out of Leveticus’ quarter (she was at one wound and VS had thrown them back over the centerline) at the steam trunk and clawing it open with a single red joker swipe, only to find the dynamite inside and explode into a cloud of questionable stuffing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

There is a thought struggling to form here about the costs of mass focus via pulses or auras, and how it mostly doesn’t have one, and how neither Dashel nor Von Schill have focus spam going despite it being a front-of-card ability—but whether it’s ‘remove their tax’ or ‘properly tax all mass focus’ is not yet clear.

How have I never noticed that? That is a very odd cost discrepancy...

Did you miss the Prospector at all?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

How have I never noticed that? That is a very odd cost discrepancy...

Did you miss the Prospector at all?

If I had been playing melee and had the soulstone users taking bigger hits, I would have, but they didn’t need to stone for suits on their ranged attacks. The game did confirm yet again that I really badly want necropunks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the Von Schill player, I ran
Von Schill
Hannah w/ Servant of Dark Powers
Hodgepodge Emissary
Scout w/ Hired Soldier
Scout w/ Hired Soldier
Freikorpsmann
7 stones
And boy howdy, Von Schill (coming from a perspective of a servant of God Empress Nekima) don't have minions worth spit. Like, they all seem like reasonably solid picks for their poundage, but that's just it; spending master AP and cards setting up a 6 stone model will never reward Von Schill as much as it does other masters with their bigger, badder available minions. I cannot carry a game or focus down scary models with a 2/3/5 track, at any distance.
Engineers and their tools for the job are nice, but are never going to do as much supporting as a Shaman, or indeed anyone with a Blasphemous Ritual effect. 
Von Schill's 8 stone minions? Waiting for an action or upgrade from their master to leave the melee they will inevitably find themselves stuck in with Mv 4 and Range 10, and even if they do get to attack through cover/concealment/friendly fire/engagement, it's a 2/3/4 spread. With blasts, mind, but rarely does Doom come in blastable-mob form. 
For the actual Outcast players out there, what has your experience with Schill been? Do you leave the minions at home? How do you run schemes without freikorpsmann basically mimicking Silurids for 1 HP at a time to keep the Rocket Boots?
I walk away from the vs Levi game mildly annoyed in the knowledge that the best shooting Keyword in the game is likely... TT versatile models. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I play Von Schill I almost never use his ability for Focus as his hand is already stressed enough. I usually hire Freikorpsmann, Librarians, and Engineers as their guns/damage are pretty decent with the suits built-in. I find my hand much less taxed this way and the minions to be pretty flexible. Keep in mind though, I have been Lured away by Hamelin this edition and have to force myself to play something else so my experience with Von Schill is much smaller.

Edit: Leveticus’ crew seems like it would be a nightmare for the Freikorps as the Amalgams have access to so much irreducible damage.

Edited by TheJoyInGaming
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I have a lot of faith that Von schill can handle anyone in the hands of an experienced player. Even models with irreducible damage can be countered through other means. Yes it means you don’t have that wonderful armor, but unlike Hoffman, we have enough defenses to working with that damage reduction

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Freikorps

Von Schill - 4ss

Steam Trunk

Hannah Lovelace

Arik Schottemer

Drachen Trooper

Freikorps Librarian 

Freikorps Scout

Freikorpsmann

 

A lot of of scheme marker schemes, and probably my list was not the bestbuild (picked Dig their Graves and Search the Ruins), but I wanted to play full painted, and to refresh the game.

Played versus Ophelia Lacroix (all in-keyword) and the game lasted only two and half turns due to the shop closing.

 

The game was quite smoothly. The first turn was almost exclusively positioning and focusing (after spending one SS, mi best card in hand was a 4, so lots of Shouthing Orders). In the second turn I pushed one Idol and covered the way to it with Minefields; and killed two Bayou Gremlins with a rocket. Kin had very poor flips, and did little damage when attacking. In the third round I killed Pere Ravage, and let Merris at 2 wd and Francois at 1 wd to die, probably were gonna be both killed by the Scout and Hannah was gonna push a second Idol, with the Freikorpsmann dropping the second marker for Search the ruins, so easy 4 - 1 (mi opponent scored Search the Ruins on the second turn).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2019 at 7:00 AM, Kharnage said:


For the actual Outcast players out there, what has your experience with Schill been? Do you leave the minions at home? How do you run schemes without freikorpsmann basically mimicking Silurids for 1 HP at a time to keep the Rocket Boots?
I walk away from the vs Levi game mildly annoyed in the knowledge that the best shooting Keyword in the game is likely... TT versatile models. 

He needs to have minions and I think handing out equipment can be okay......but the scout is just terrible in M3E.  Just useless.  

Doesn't have sniper range, is quite squishy - and I feel like a sniper should be better at firing that Sh5.  Unless i particularly wanted From the Shadows or ignoring friendly fire for a particular match, I can't see any reason to take him.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CapnBloodbeard said:

He needs to have minions and I think handing out equipment can be okay......but the scout is just terrible in M3E.  Just useless.  

Doesn't have sniper range, is quite squishy - and I feel like a sniper should be better at firing that Sh5.  Unless i particularly wanted From the Shadows or ignoring friendly fire for a particular match, I can't see any reason to take him.  

He ignores cover, concealment and friendly fire, can shoot with stat 6 an doesn't need to gain extra range thanks to From the shadows and the reposition built-in.

Squishy? 6 Wd and Armor +1. Are we looking at the same model? 😕

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ShinChan said:

Squishy? 6 Wd and Armor +1. Are we looking at the same model? 😕

They use to play advanced and isolated.

Their stats are not bad, but they use to die fast and easy. They are really hard to play, not sure what to do with them.

EDIT: I've thinking about they could become really good if they have 

:ToS-Fast:Create Trap with in-built Reposition trigger. That way they would become more mobile (not too much, but better than now) and would gain an interesting new disruption role in half table. They would become a bit more hard to kill in close combat also.

What do you think? They could even recover they old name (Trapper xD)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Zebo said:

They use to play advanced and isolated.

Their stats are not bad, but they use to die fast and easy. They are really hard to play, not sure what to do with them.

EDIT: I've thinking about they could become really good if they have 

:ToS-Fast:Create Trap with in-built Reposition trigger. That way they would become more mobile (not too much, but better than now) and would gain an interesting new disruption role in half table. They would become a bit more hard to kill in close combat also.

What do you think? They could even recover they old name (Trapper xD)

I like the fluff of it, but that would add a TN to getting out of engagement, and I like getting out of engagement more. If Alyce has trouble getting a spare 6+ card for her trap in Leveticus with only one other model competing for it, how much worse will it be for the scout in Von Schill where everyone wants that 6+ to pass a TN?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Von Schill
Totem(s):
  Steam Trunk
Hires:
  Arik Schöttemer
  Hannah Lovelace
  Lazarus
  Freikorps Engineer
    Servant of Dark Powers
  Freikorps Engineer 2
    Servant of Dark Powers

 

Reckoning, dig their graves and claim jump.

It give you a massive card control with two engineers (tools for the job & strengthen armor) and hannah (arcane reservoir).

Giving shielded condition to everyone and healing a lot it was just imposible to die.

I highly recomend it for mid control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sianour said:


Size: 50 - Pool: 5
Leader:
  Von Schill
Totem(s):
  Steam Trunk
Hires:
  Arik Schöttemer
  Hannah Lovelace
  Lazarus
  Freikorps Engineer
    Servant of Dark Powers
  Freikorps Engineer 2
    Servant of Dark Powers

 

Reckoning, dig their graves and claim jump.

It give you a massive card control with two engineers (tools for the job & strengthen armor) and hannah (arcane reservoir).

Giving shielded condition to everyone and healing a lot it was just imposible to die.

I highly recomend it for mid control.

What was your opponent?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reckoning

wedge deployment

outflank - dig their Graves - vendetta - Harness leylines - breakthrough

VS

Trunk

Hannah

engineer

arik 

scout

librarian 

prospector 

chose vendetta (scout -+ ss miner) and dig their graves

opponent was Arcanists 

mei feng 

Forgeling

metal gamin

iron golem

willie

railworker

mech rider

ss miner with Diesel engine upgrade

picked breakthrough and leylines 

game went 7-2 in my favor. Only lost Hanna and Engineer and both were late game losses 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2019 at 7:26 PM, Gnomezilla said:

I dropped prospector, stones, and a copy of Servant from my usual Leveticus list for a necropunk, effigy, and child, for more significant scheming actions into Turf War and to give so many targets Von Schill’s scouts couldn’t snipe them all. That part worked, along with a lesson that sometimes it’s possible to backtrack through the dense terrain and cut off LoS even for snipers who ignore ‘most everything else. Also we learned that Von Schill couldn’t keep cards in hand. It was not a good time, for him, to find that Pride and Alyce were finding a respectable number of crows, or that he couldn’t afford the focus tax. [There is a thought struggling to form here about the costs of mass focus via pulses or auras, and how it mostly doesn’t have one, and how neither Dashel nor Von Schill have focus spam going despite it being a front-of-card ability—but whether it’s ‘remove their tax’ or ‘properly tax all mass focus’ is not yet clear.] At any rate, VS’ guns were all flipping minimum damage 2 quite a lot, often against Armor 1 targets. Hannah beat the everloving snot out of Ashes and Dust on double positive damage flips, but otherwise the Freikorps couldn’t finish the job. Visual effect of the night was Marlena’s tiny teddy charging out of Leveticus’ quarter (she was at one wound and VS had thrown them back over the centerline) at the steam trunk and clawing it open with a single red joker swipe, only to find the dynamite inside and explode into a cloud of questionable stuffing.

What does your usual list consist of?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ebolazaire said:

What does your usual list consist of?

It hasn’t varied much since the start of this thread: Leveticus (Servant of Dark Powers always), Rusty Alyce (Servant on favorable terrain, Soldier if I’ll be playing the ping damage game), Ashes & Dust, Marlena (Soldier for Hire rarely, mainly if Alyce also has it), Pride, prospector, sometimes child and/or effigy, waifs. Usually Marlena and Pride together would be too many stones spent in support, but the amalgams do passive damage if kept alive so I don’t fall behind in action economy while Pride is helping me utilize suited cards to best effect. I think the prospector will soon be dropped for a more specialized scheming piece.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information