3E shenlong advice

yames

3 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

Even with Shouting Orders, or anythkng that lets you take Concentrate as a bonus action, you still cannot Concentrate more than once in an Activation. So Sensei Yu cannot both discard to Concentrate as a bonus and Concentrate as a regular action, one or the other. 

Shenlong has an ability (I forget the name) that removes that restriction

Just now, Modernpenguin said:

Okay guys, set up is all fine and dandy, what I want to know is what to use his students for after the initial drunk-fu setup. 
Do you save them for late game Scheme denial with the wandering style upgrade?  

I use them for move tricks with wandering river, or healing with low river. They also can actually do a bit of damage with high river stance and ruthless to boot. Baiscly whatever is needed and depending on what stance shenlong is in. 

In the few games I've played Shenlong I've used the students more offensively actually. Thanks to the Chi, they are actually a very credible threat. I didn't use any setup tricks, so they always had at least their 1 Chi from when they activate. I then would Concentrate-Charge them into a beater with a stat 6-7 attack depending on whether I'm using the Staff or a Shenlong Style Attack. Let me tell you that they don't deal damage a lot of damage, but near-guaranteed Distracted on an opposing beater from a Totem feels dirty.

It has backfired though, when my opponent blasted them to pieces :P

20 hours ago, whodares said:

Ah like that.

I don't like doing that as I'm already doing a setup round. Fast comes at the cost of 1 Chi per Action Yu takes. Instead, Yu could have gotten Chi instead, so the cost i 2 Chi per Fast you give. Turn 1 you're probably not going to do a lot with it, so it's better to give it in later Turns, granted your Monks still have Chi for that. Putting it on a WRM could be worth it early on, but even then ...

If you can't get Yu in range and you NEED to get something done, I can see it being worth it. Besides that, I generally rather drop a card for an extra Concentrate. Then again, I don't have much experience with Shenlong in M3E, so I'm not completely sure how Fast would buff up his crew. I feel like th Chi cost is a bit steep, considering the effort it takes to build up the Chi to begin with.

You could also use Shenlong's Spiritual Alignment to transfer Fast to any model you like.

The Aspiring Students usually have Chi to spare. Shenlong can use "The Dragon commands it" on Sensei Yu to get Fast on a Student and then transfer it to a Samurai/Lone Swordsman/...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lunatic_Machine said:

You could also use Shenlong's Spiritual Alignment to transfer Fast to any model you like.

The Aspiring Students usually have Chi to spare. Shenlong can use "The Dragon commands it" on Sensei Yu to get Fast on a Student and then transfer it to a Samurai/Lone Swordsman/...

I never thought about that 😧

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lunatic_Machine said:

Just to be sure I'm understanding this well. I've just check in the rules for the timing when fast goes away. So if the student uses his last action (third one because of fast) to transfer fast to the next model (samurai, etc...) it's not the end of the samurai activation so he does not loose it and you will be able to use the same fast 2 times? :P

30 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

Just to be sure I'm understanding this well. I've just check in the rules for the timing when fast goes away. So if the student uses his last action (third one because of fast) to transfer fast to the next model (samurai, etc...) it's not the end of the samurai activation so he does not loose it and you will be able to use the same fast 2 times? :P

I'm afraid you've got it wrong.

Students can only transfer 1 Chi with Chanted Sutra (which is a bonus action btw.).
Shenlong can use Spiritual Alignment to transfer conditions from one model to another.

1. Sensei Yu uses A Simple Lesson and gives the Fast condition to a Monk model.
2. Shenlong uses Spiritual Alignment to get the Fast condition from the Monk model to any other model.
3. ???
4. Profit!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lunatic_Machine said:

I have done this with Lone Swordsman. 3 attacks of +, ++ and +++ on attack and damage make short work of any model when you declare the Critical Strike suite for your Adaptive. Damage track of 2/4/5 becomes 3/5/6 and can go up to 4/6/7 if you flip/cheat another Ram inthere. My opponent did not like seeing that :D

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lunatic_Machine said:

I'm afraid you've got it wrong.

Students can only transfer 1 Chi with Chanted Sutra (which is a bonus action btw.).
Shenlong can use Spiritual Alignment to transfer conditions from one model to another.

1. Sensei Yu uses A Simple Lesson and gives the Fast condition to a Monk model.
2. Shenlong uses Spiritual Alignment to get the Fast condition from the Monk model to any other model.
3. ???
4. Profit!!!

thanks! for some reason I thought the students could copy any actions on Shenlong cards! ahah! xD

26 minutes ago, coolguyclay said:

Could you explain how this works? Reading Last Breath only sounds like a + on those 2-3 actions. 

Last Breath is one of those holes in the rules for if it stacks or not. That means lone swordsman will either A, get a :+flipeach time the action is used and either gain a soulstone or take 4 irreducible damage each time the action is used, or only one of each no matter how many times the action is used.

10 hours ago, coolguyclay said:

Could you explain how this works? Reading Last Breath only sounds like a + on those 2-3 actions. 

10 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

Last Breath is one of those holes in the rules for if it stacks or not. That means lone swordsman will either A, get a :+flipeach time the action is used and either gain a soulstone or take 4 irreducible damage each time the action is used, or only one of each no matter how many times the action is used.

We've been playing that it stacks, like a lot of people on the forum here I guess. If it doesn't stack, I would probably transfer some Focus from the HRM to the Swordsman so he could still get ++ on all his attacks.

Side-question for anyone who owns the physical cards. Is the HRM fixed on there or is it still the faulty non-Free Action on there?

1 hour ago, whodares said:

Side-question for anyone who owns the physical cards. Is the HRM fixed on there or is it still the faulty non-Free Action on there?

The cards actually in sale have the typo . I don't know if the GenCon sale has already the reprints. For sure the next reprint will be fine 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheUnseemlyOne said:

They have the typos, but I’ve been told they’re shipping reprinted ones if you’ve already bought the card pack. 

Any post or something that confirms this? I was planning on holding off until they released a new card pack, but this could speed things up.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, santaclaws01 said:

Oh, I see! 

I was picturing using "Last Breath" then two Balanced Sword attacks. A :+flip to each of those 3 attacks. 1 SS or 4 damage at end.

If I took 3 Last Breath actions, that is indeed +, ++, +++, with an end of activation result of 3SS or 12 damage!

I read it that way too.  Maybe a loophole, but does not say "once per activation" like many other actions. Very high risk-reward. One LastBreath is an enhancer and you may live, 3 Last Breaths is definitely "All In". Extremely awesome :)

1 hour ago, coolguyclay said:

Oh, I see! 

I was picturing using "Last Breath" then two Balanced Sword attacks. A :+flip to each of those 3 attacks. 1 SS or 4 damage at end.

If I took 3 Last Breath actions, that is indeed +, ++, +++, with an end of activation result of 3SS or 12 damage!

I read it that way too.  Maybe a loophole, but does not say "once per activation" like many other actions. Very high risk-reward. One LastBreath is an enhancer and you may live, 3 Last Breaths is definitely "All In". Extremely awesome :)

remember that hard to kill prevent you from dropping below 1 health even against irreducible dmg! ;)

so even if you do 3 Last Breath attacks and fail to kill your target, you just have to have 2+ health at the end of your activation and he will not die!

31 minutes ago, Cursed25 said:

remember that hard to kill prevent you from dropping below 1 health even against irreducible dmg! ;)

so even if you do 3 Last Breath attacks and fail to kill your target, you just have to have 2+ health at the end of your activation and he will not die!

It depends if you are actually taking 12 damage or 3 times 4 damage ;)

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SerZaka said:

It depends if you are actually taking 12 damage or 3 times 4 damage ;)

That's a good catch. 3 actions sound like 3 different resolutions (8 -> 4, 4 -> 1 from HtH, 1 -> Dead).

But to @Cursed25's point, even to Last Breath twice at full health (or even 6 health), and then with Shenlong's Fast take a Balanced Sword attack at :+flip:+flip, and not die from Hard to Kill is good stuff. I'm really liking The Lone Swordman with Shenlong. I gotta try it in action (along with practicing a Shenlong solitare first-turn! : )

• Like 1