Cult with Horo?

Hello, 

I'm new to the game. What do you think of 2C games with Adeodatus and Horo? 

I'm thinking about something like:

Adeodatus +25§

Horo +22§

2x Warped (18§)

1x ECB (10§)

1x Yarazi (6§)

1x Portals (3§)

--> 37§ used. 10§ to go. is it any good?

Personally, I don't use horrors much. I've got most of the cult units though, so I've got plenty of other options. If you're trying to avoid a bunch of purchases though, they will do fine. For the remaining points, I would strongly recommend taking a look at Doomseekers, one of my personal favorite units in the game. 

Adeodatos and Horo make a good pair, and they have very different jobs that can help support your company. 

One thing to keep in mind with bringing Yarazi in, since they are not Cult models, they are not able to use Portals. What makes you want to bring them?

I'm a big fan of Fenton and Horo personally, but that's mostly just me preferring Fenton's playstyle.  If you do get into Fenton Horrors are amazing with him, not so much without him though since they really need you to mill your deck each turn.  Mandatory purchases I'd say are one or two Raving Madmen to attach to your squads.  Besides that, like CBTB said Doomseekers are solid, Broken are good meat shields / card draw, Goryshche's pretty good for in-your-face attacking too.

For hiring from the Hordes, Yarazi are decent for scheme running.  I'd look into Speckled Crawlers too, they make good bodyguards for Adeodatos and their A Tasty Snack is really good passive team support if you position them right.  The rest are a bit more niche, for a more or less solid list I'd stick with those two for now.

Raving madmen are really useful, and remember assets for your commanders!

Whenever I run Horo, I like to accompany with another titan. I find that the enemy will focus on either Horomatangi or Goryshche but rarely able to counter both effectively. Also I really like Goryschche's asset which allows her to move 5" after using a portal, gives her a really nasty threat range when combined with extra portals.

For the most part I find the portals are good for scheme running, Yarazi feel unneeded. Though I guess it would allow them to be used more aggressively. In general though I don't feel that the cult benefits a huge amount from taking hordes squads. Except perhaps taking barbed crawlers Vs hordes to dish out pinned tokens.

First of all: Thank you for your help!

What is it about the Doomseekers? The stats seem fine, but why do you think they are strong?

My thoughts on the Yarazi were: 1. they are fast and don't need portals. 2. They can be thrown at the enemy without hesitation since they get respawned. 3. Strentg 4 in charge sounds great to me as well as the retreat-ability. 5. I love the minis 😄

@cbtb11235813

I don't play Horrors. Do you mean the Warped? If so, why don't you play them? I thougt they were quite potent since Strengt 4 + piercing sounds great to me!!!!

@retnap

I will consider taking 2 Titans. ;-D sounds like a great plan to me!

2 hours ago, extremor said:

First of all: Thank you for your help!

What is it about the Doomseekers? The stats seem fine, but why do you think they are strong?

My thoughts on the Yarazi were: 1. they are fast and don't need portals. 2. They can be thrown at the enemy without hesitation since they get respawned. 3. Strentg 4 in charge sounds great to me as well as the retreat-ability. 5. I love the minis 😄

@cbtb11235813

I don't play Horrors. Do you mean the Warped? If so, why don't you play them? I thougt they were quite potent since Strengt 4 + piercing sounds great to me!!!!

@retnap

I will consider taking 2 Titans. ;-D sounds like a great plan to me!

Yes, I was thinking Warped but typed Horrors for some reason. You are correct, Strength 4 with piercing is quite good. In fact, everything on their card looks good. I really don't have any explanation as to why I don't like them. Every time I've put them on the table, they haven't pulled their weight for 9 scrip. I should probably go and give them another shot. 

As for Doomseekers, for me it is the flexibility. For one, 12" range + portal jumping means almost nowhere is safe from them. If you just can't get into range, they can summon breachlings, which can do absolutely devastating amounts of damage. Translocation Ritual is incredibly powerful and can really save you when you've made a positioning mistake or sent something too far forward (this is going to happen to a new cult player. Getting in the correct slingshot rhythm can be tough, and this gives you a convenient way out). They have enough different things to do, they can always do something significant. Finally, I think area damage is king. I've had a single Doomseeker unit wipe 3+ fireteams in a single activation because of area damage. They make the cut every time for me 

27 minutes ago, extremor said:

So would you prefere doomseekers over ecb?

To some extent that depends on your opponent. In general, yes. The are more versatile if you don't know what you're up against. But, if you think your opponent will be heavy on titans, then ECB are fantastic. Ideally you just take both :)

Translocation Ritual has amazing potential, one of it's awesome features is that it always works. No card flip required. And yes they can be used to save forces, but it also has some crazy shenanigans which can be used in combo with the hard hitting titans. You translocate Horo onto a portal marker, which you then use, then you chain activate into Horo, and considering the portal jump wasn't part of Horo's movement, you can rush order immediately to cover a deadly amount of distance (especially being able to walk over fireteams). Top that off which area damage and breachlings, you have a very versatile squad which can threaten on a number of fronts.

ECB are really strong though, I always field Vs Kassa or Abyssinia. Kassa is bringing titans, which in general have have low def values, high armour, and many assets perfect for the ECB. Abyssinia are normally played more elite, so fewer forces. But get free assets with prototypes and often take many of their potent adjuncts, so it's not uncommon to have increased strength against the entire Abyssinia company! Independent movement is just great, and the threat of Knocking Down the Pillars of Reality is so strong. I've never had it work well, but that threat is there, and can force the enemy to respond in a predictable fashion.

So yeah ideally I'd want both. But if picking one, I consider Doomseekers for army synergy, and ECB for more solo performance, which for my style of play means I go for Doomseekers more.

So, next try:

2 Commander List:

·         Adeodatus (+25§)

·         Horomatangi (+22§)

·         Warped (9§)

·         Warped (9§)

·         Doomseekers (7§)

·         ECB (10§)

·         Portals (3§)

·         Goryshche (7§)

= 45§

Just 2§ for Assets seems a bit low but thats the price to pay for taking Horomatangi and getting at least 1 unit into glory every turn with bellow of command. 

The idea is to get Adeodatus, Horo and Gory into glory mode the first turn, which can be easyly done by horo (survival of the hordes, bellow of command, mighty willpower). then draw cards with gory (shed skin) and adeodatos (knowledge from the aether). 

You definitely want assets! I rarely do not max out on assets, they are not like upgrades in Malifaux, they are essential for survival in this game! I would cut one unit of warped, to free 11 Scrip to take all the assets you can get, so 3 for Horo, 2 for Adeodatos, 2 to 3 for Goryshche (depending what style you want to play), and Raving Madmen for the rest. If you don't do that, your non-squad models will not survive the first turn.

To be clear, this regards non-squad units, usually. Raving Madmen are just very good, because they protect your units from the enemy unsing their shaken token. But for everything that is not a squad, they want assets, as they keep them alive. And they are costed with that in mind.

Yeah you should be basically always maxing out on assets since they're the models' health pool (exception is Goryshche who you can give only 2 to, since it can grow a 3rd on turn 1).  I'd drop Goryshche from that list just to get your points back, then you can give 5-6 scrip worth of assets to your Commanders and have enough left over for some Madmen and a Breachling or something

Thanks again. I looked at the Assets 

2 Commander List:

·         Adeodatus (+25§) +  Hovering Portal (1§) + Toughness (½ §)

·         Horomatangi (+22§) + Flaming Breath (1§) + Relics of ancient Malifaux (1§)  + Toughness(½ §)

·         Warped (9§) + Raving Madman (1§)

·         Warped (9§) + Raving Madman (1§)

·         Doomseekers (7§)

·         ECB (10§)

·         Portals (3§)

·         Goryshche (7§) + Splitting Tails (1§) + Writhing Coils (0§)

right now I'm @ 52§. which is 5§ too much!!! Depending on the Mission/Enemy I would drop Warped, Doomseekers, ECB or Goryshche...

1) Best way I find is to give him a shaken token when you flip one of your first aces and then have him take the focused effort order for the 2nd

2) just have to accept you'll never really table them. Best thing is to get them down to 1 fireteam per squad to keep them hurt but deny them from resummoning elsewhere

3) on Adeodatos I like A Memory Stirs and either Hovering Portal or Relics of Ancient Malifaux depending on how supporty I want to play him

Yes they can, it's a situational benefit, and mostly used on eggs to gain more reinforcement tokens. In fact they can eat a fireteam and not flip to glory if they really wanted.

You can use Horo to put 2 shaken tokens on someone, allows them to flip easily. Arcane Tome, Corona of Flame and Hovering Portal can all help toward flipping to glory.

For Horo assets though I try and take both the hordes and cult unique ones for them, that way they have more actions per activation.

I've actually not had too much success with Endless Numbers while playing with hordes, coming back as a single fireteam felt very limiting for most of the units. Skulkers and eggs were my main uses for it due to them being able to spawn anywhere.

1 hour ago, extremor said:

Why do fireteams respawn as a single fireteam? The text states „sqad“... do I miss something???

It’s in the summoning rules.  When you summon a Squad unit, the end of the first paragraph says:

... If the unit is a Squad, it only has a single Fireteam. The unit may recover its missing Fireteams through Reinforcing.

• Agree 1

Ahhh that‘s good. I was getting a little frustrated since the CotBM seemed weak and out of league against an awesome Commander like the Stormsiren and respawning minions... 

as for horos assets, I only see tide caller and swarm of bottom feeders on the gibbering hordes asset pages. Tide caller does fit your Description/tip. I will give it a try. 

Flaming breath (CotBM-Unique) is already in... 

So the hordes were spawning in full 3 fireteam squads? Hehh, wondered if that were the case, cause yeah that would make them very strong.

Yes "Tide Caller" from hordes and "Flaming Breath" from Cult. Each are versatile allowing an action from them to be performed each activation, I couldn't remember the names.