Neverborn Taint

Law Dog

Hello, fellow Wyrdirinos and Through-The-Breacheroos! I'm starting up a campaign soon and one of the players joked at first about joining the Neverborn but then we started discussing how people in Malifaux end up as Neverborn. We've seen it happen before with a few of the models such as Perdita's cousin and the Scions of Black Blood, but how exactly do humans become Neverborn? It's not completely clear from what I've read. 

I do know that the "half breeds" are looked down upon by the pure Neverborn (based off the last story featuring Lillith and her duel with Nekima) and is that a view universally kept by Neverborn tribes? It looks like Titania does not share that view. 

34 minutes ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

In the book Under Quarantine, there are some details about how people become nephilim (with some mechanics) but it hasn’t been outlined very much.

Look in the diseases section. Basically, if you touch a Nephilim's black blood, you slowly turn into a half-breed. The last stage makes you loyal to the Nephilim, but if it gets cured before then, you still retain all the physical changes. My wife has mentioned playing a corrupted character who files her horns down, Hellboy-style.

As for how the other Neverborn see half-breeds, they're usually second-class citizens, but not always as reviled as they are Lilith and her followers. With Titania's return, I'd imagine more and more Neverborn are adopting more "progressive" attitudes. I mean, Nekima's new henchman in M3E uses necromancy, for pete's sake! If you set your game closer to the current Malifaux time, your Neverborn player should have a much easier time in their adopted society.

The other option, of course, is to play as a Zoraida-like character. Someone who came through a little breach on their own, and has been in Malifaux so long that they've been accepted, both by the land and the people. Mechanically, they'd be the same as any other Fated, so it's up to the flavor and backstory to set them apart. Their manifested powers would feel more natural and in tune with the natural order of Malifaux, that sort of thing.

Thank you! You were both helpful! One character I had was descended from an ancient Neverborn lord who fell in love with a human and sent her back home through the original Breach before it closed. My character was the grandson of that Neverborn who returned to Malifaux to find out the truth behind his strange visions. 

I'd like to add some.

In compaign Stich in Time one of suggested characters is Construct with two swords. Could be reached via Into The Steam creation.

Above the Law sais, that Elite Division can contain neverborn, like Doppelgangers. So, I suggest creating Elite Division character with possible copycat or forgotten persuits.

Also some comaigns give possibility to get closer to this faction. Like Nythera or Northern Agression.

With my group I've managed to tell story, how they were charmed with Zoraida and about their place in her Fate Changing Games