Who flips Hazardous/Difficult pen flips?

Aner-Dyfan

Question

So who does? Pen flips are performed by the 'opposing' player but they are essentially self inflicted, so does the acting player flip? If so does this mean that they can cheat fate and lower the flip?

It says 'opposing player' and not 'other player' and since the game has rules for 3 or 4 players, I can't just see it being one of the others doing the flip. Though equally it feels odd flipping to damage my own forces, especially when drawn into a pool by a Siren or such.

3 answers to this question

The enemy always flips for pen regardless of the source. That said, I don't think it's been clarified who flips in 3- or 4- player games, that might have to be something that gets house-ruled to have specific players flip for each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aner-Dyfan said:

And it can't be cheated as not the result of an action of a fireteam. Since movement is not an action. Cheers.

You've got that backwards.  Every flip by a player can be cheated unless otherwise specified, and the "unless otherwise specified" clause for Penetration Flips is:

To perform a Penetration flip, the opposing player flips a card from their Fate Deck and adds the Strength value of the Hit to the card’s value. This flip may not be Cheated if the Penetration flip is the result of an Action performed by a Fireteam with one or more missing models.

In other words, because it's not the result of an Action performed by a Fireteam with one or missing models, the flip can be cheated.  And Tactics tokens can be used to reflip that Penetration flip for hazardous terrain.

It's strategic manipulation of bad luck.  :) 

As for enemy who flips I'd run it next in initiative order.

That seems like it would work, if you add the qualifier "not belonging to the same Confederation" (next non-friendly player, basically).

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1