Drowned, riptide

BaronDG

Question

Hi all, doing the drowned vomit attack you can leave your blast as a riptide marker. This is once per activation. However, I am unclear about if you could turn all of the markers from a single attack into riptides or just one of them. Do I need three markers or nine? 

Any helpful insights would be appreciated! 

7 answers to this question

7 hours ago, BaronDG said:

Hi all, doing the drowned vomit attack you can leave your blast as a riptide marker. This is once per activation. However, I am unclear about if you could turn all of the markers from a single attack into riptides or just one of them. Do I need three markers or nine? 

Any helpful insights would be appreciated! 

The ability, for reference:

Riptide:  Once per Activation.  When this model Drops a :blast marker, it may instead Drop a 50mm Hazardous (Damage 1 and Staggered) Riptide Marker (it is still treated as a :blast Marker for the effect). During the End Phase, remove all Riptide Markers.

It's just one blast marker.  The bias in this edition of the rules is that if it's singular ("a :blastmarker", "a 50mm Marker", etc.) then it's one per use of the ability.

Probably if you could replace multiple Blast markers in a Blast, it would have to be worded something like "When placing Blast Markers for a Blast effect, for each Blast Marker it may ..." to apply the ability at the Blast effect level, not when you're Dropping the Blast marker.

Disclaimer:  It's Rules English, so it's one of the weird Formal Reasoning constructed dialects of English.  

• Agree 1

We disagreed on blastmarkers and riptide markers so I thought I`d take it up with the esteemed forum. 

”A b is Dropped by the Active player into base contact with the target. If more than one b is Dropped (i.e., if multiple B are shown), each additional b must be Dropped into base contact with at least one other b (instead of the target).”

”Riptide:Once per Activation.When this model Drops a b marker, it may instead Drop a 50mm Hazardous (Damage 1 and Staggered) Riptide Marker (it is still treated as a b Marker for the effect). During the End Phase, remove all Riptide Markers.”

I placed the first marker in base to base with the poor victim, then I wanted to drop the next one under the first target since I intended to change that one for a riptide marker and I wanted him caught in that. 

My friend thought you couldn’t place any blastmarker under the original target, even if you got a double blast. 

How would you play it?

13 minutes ago, BaronDG said:

Can you change the colour somewhere? 

When writing/editing a post, there's a long line of options just above the message field. B(old), I(talics), U(nderline)... Towards the right end you see 'A'. Click on the 'A' and you can switch text colour.

Rulebook page 28 on Dropping markers:

If a Marker is Dropped, it is simply put on the table in the indicated location without any further game effects; this is not considered moving the Marker. It can be put into base contact or even under a model’s base without issue. If an Impassible Marker is Dropped, it is always treated as being Created instead.

So we know that "Dropped" markers can be placed under models.

Rulebook page 30 on Blasts:

A b is Dropped by the Active player into base contact with the target. If more than one b is Dropped (i.e., if multiple B are shown), each additional b must be Dropped into base contact with at least one other b (instead of the target). A B is assumed to extend 1" vertically above and below the target’s base (and thus may come into base contact with models that are slightly above or below the target).

So we know that blast markers are "Dropped". Only further limitations to Blast markers are that first one must be in base contact with the target and subsequent blasts must be in base contact with a blast marker.

There's nothing stopping you from putting that blast marker underneath a model.