Overclocked Asset

Zyzygy

Is this Asset truly useful? 

Card text:

Take the Action on a friendly Prototype Asset without discarding a card.
 OR
Attach a Prototype Asset not currently in play on a friendly unit to a friendly unit that does not have a Prototype Asset.
 THEN
Instead of removing this Stratagem from the game, you may discard a card. If you do, place this Stratagem back in your hand. It cannot be played again this turn.

I've read many saying how great it is, and I suspect they're right if we're talking the second half the card. Maybe?

The Top half allows for an effect to happen without discarding a card, and this power cost me 2 tokens. I could have spent 1 token for a card to actually discard. So the bottom half seems very inefficient.

The Bottom half is nice but there's only a five Prototypes available at this time and only a couple that are arguably useful.

So where does that leave the value of this card? Or am I overlooking its utility?

I think it is absolutely worth taking.

For 2 TAC token (once) and a card every turn (if you want to keep using it - which becomes easier as your radio in enemy movements trigger begins to fuel your control hand: I rarely lack the card to discard) you get to launch off a Prototype action (which can allow you to out-of-activation Glory a unit if said unit has a Prototype with Resounding Success trigger) or attach one to a unit that does not have one. I find, most commonly, my Crow Runners end up wanting either the Rocket Launcher or the Shock Batons and this makes sure I can give them the best tool for the job. It also lets me get a quick Flare Gun shot off first turn when my control hand tends to be a bit weaker (due to my style of play) which can make a big difference depending on what control hands and board positioning look like. Alternatively an extra Chemical Foggers or Discuss Grenades at the right time can be devastating, and these can come out after their carrier has activated which can help keep the threat up on your opponent. 

You definitely want to weight it's place in your Stratagem deck based on what Units you can attach assets to (As your basic units can't already have an Asset, which includes the Engineer, since Overclock does not allow you to ignore asset limitations in the same way as you can when attaching them at the start of the game). You'll want to purchase the Stratagem turn 1 to get the most of of it. 

2 hours ago, Zyzygy said:

Is this Asset truly useful? 

Card text:

Take the Action on a friendly Prototype Asset without discarding a card.
 OR
Attach a Prototype Asset not currently in play on a friendly unit to a friendly unit that does not have a Prototype Asset.
 THEN
Instead of removing this Stratagem from the game, you may discard a card. If you do, place this Stratagem back in your hand. It cannot be played again this turn.

I've read many saying how great it is, and I suspect they're right if we're talking the second half the card. Maybe?

The Top half allows for an effect to happen without discarding a card, and this power cost me 2 tokens. I could have spent 1 token for a card to actually discard. So the bottom half seems very inefficient.

The Bottom half is nice but there's only a five Prototypes available at this time and only a couple that are arguably useful.

So where does that leave the value of this card? Or am I overlooking its utility?

If you're spending tactics tokens on cards in Abyssinia outside of the first and maybe second turn something is wrong. Also it's only 1 Tactics Token if you have the Lord of Steel.

When the card is in your hand you don't need to spend the 2tokens again for it. You buy from the stratagem deck and play from the hand. So this card costs 2tokens then 1 card per turn, and for the most part I feel that spending tactics for cards is a waste for Abyssinia. A lot of places for Abys to get cards to discard one for.

Not all the prototypes are Unique, so some you can have copies of some. Great for getting more shots off and flipping to glory on Eureka! Also giving someone shock batons, or getting extra hits with them has a lot of potential for sniping adjuncts. 

At worst it's like Cult's "Fire from the Sky", Hordes "Thunderstorm" or KEs "Artillery Strike" they allow extra attacks outside of activation. "Overclocked" is a cheaper, more versatile albeit probably weaker than the aforementioned in terms of damage.

I get a lot of great mileage out of it when playing against my local gibbering hordes player.  He tends to summon egg clutches in the back field to eat for glory, and will try wait out the flare gun squads' activations so that he can do so safely.  Overclocked gives a free out of activation shot to pop an egg clutch with relative ease.

Thanks, All.

Based on your replies I realize I have really misread this card and how it functions. I thought the top-half only waived the card cost WHEN I was using a prototype on a unit. I didn't realize it meant take the prototype action AGAIN, and/or out of activation.

Very different impact on the game. 😮

• Like 1