Fun Way to Make Your Opponent Sad

Davos

So, I just had an interesting game, my Von Schilll against Ironsides, and was able to test out a very very very fun (for me at least) theory.  

We were playing Flank, Explosive Charges, with OutFlank in the pool, so I needed to spread out at few models to score my points.  In looking at the Freikorps Crew, there aren't a ton of models that I felt comfortable sending out on their own, but I wanted to try having the Freikorpsmann as a Long Ranger-esque model.  Hence, I took Outflank, loaded him with an Explosive Charge for the Strat and sent him on his way.

The key, though, was I attached the Assualt Shielding Upgrade to him with Von Schill, which gave him Shield +2.  This, coupled with the Equipment Ability where he can take a damage to NOT discard upgrades, lets you perma-cycle the Assault Shielding.  Then, since the Freikorpsmann has a Tome trigger to heal, along with Reference the Field Guide to get a built in Tome, you can reliably heal to full attacking other minions (Survivalist is INSANE)

Its not an insane OP OP  combo or anything, but it turns a 5SS reliable minion into a legitimate schemer that will require at least a moderate amount of effort from your opponent to remove.  Fun times.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Davos said:

Its not an insane OP OP  combo or anything, but it turns a 5SS reliable minion into a legitimate schemer that will require at least a moderate amount of effort from your opponent to remove.  Fun times.

I mean, it's essentially giving you 1 extra wound a turn (2 damage prevented, 1 damage to keep), at the cost of a Rams card from hand to replenish, and not being able to use the Shield elsewhere (I find Assault Shield is nearly always the first one I "run out of").

Definitely requires work to focus him down, but he can get jerked around by something like a Lawyer (Slow at 1") for a similar cost. 

9 hours ago, Davos said:

True, though since the Shield +2 gets reapplied when you attach it, it makes him a great cheap model to eat AP.  or be a lone schemer.  either way, I can see it being very useful in games

But you're not re-applying it. At least as I understand what you are doing. He can hold onto the shield when the shielding runs out and it would normally be discarded at the cost of 1 wound, but it is not getting re-attached at this point, its just not being discarded. He'll get the shielded condition each start phase.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Adran said:

But you're not re-applying it. At least as I understand what you are doing. He can hold onto the shield when the shielding runs out and it would normally be discarded at the cost of 1 wound, but it is not getting re-attached at this point, its just not being discarded. He'll get the shielded condition each start phase.

Oops, you're right....welp I messed that up....not that it would have made a huge difference in this setting, but good to know.

Thanks for the clarification!