Pheylorn

After damage abilities trigger on death?

Had a timing question come up yesterday, do after damaging abilities applies of the model is killed when suffering that damage? The example was the Stitch's Bloated Stench ability, which reads:

Bloated Stench: After this model suffers
damage from a (claw) Action, the Attacking
model gains Poison +1 after resolving the
current Action.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Pheylorn said:

Had a timing question come up yesterday, do after damaging abilities applies of the model is killed when suffering that damage? The example was the Stitch's Bloated Stench ability, which reads:

Bloated Stench: After this model suffers
damage from a (claw) Action, the Attacking
model gains Poison +1 after resolving the
current Action.

Thank you.

Check the damage timing chart on pg 34 of the pdf.  It's got you covered.    "Effects that happen after damage" happen at step 5, death happens at step 6.   So Bloated Stench will resolve.

• Thanks 1

However, the rulebook, page 11, says the following: "After resolving: These Triggers happen after the Action is complete, regardless of success or failure, but only if the model that declared the Trigger is still in play. If the Trigger has a target and that target is no longer in play, the Trigger has no effect." So to my mind Bloated Stench does not Poison the attacking model if defender is no longer in play. On the other hand, I am not sure why Bloated Stench is worded in this way and not as, e.g., Vengeance ("After resolving an Action that targeted and damaged this model, the Attacking model suffers +1 damage.") - maybe that's because they are resolved differently...

• Like 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

However, the rulebook, page 11, says the following: "After resolving: These Triggers happen after the Action is complete, regardless of success or failure, but only if the model that declared the Trigger is still in play. If the Trigger has a target and that target is no longer in play, the Trigger has no effect." So to my mind Bloated Stench does not Poison the attacking model if defender is no longer in play. On the other hand, I am not sure why Bloated Stench is worded in this way and not as, e.g., Vengeance ("After resolving an Action that targeted and damaged this model, the Attacking model suffers +1 damage.") - maybe that's because they are resolved differently...

Triggers don't work quite the same way that other effects do.

The words "After resolving" in a trigger mean specifically what it says on page 12 of the beta PDF, including the provisions about which models have to still be in play in order to resolve.

For every other effect, like Vengeance, or Bloated Stench, the conditions for the effect are satisfied so it get resolved at the appropriate step of the action.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

A trigger is not an ability. They have different rules and different timings. Do not use the timing of a trigger to try and guess when an ability will happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

A trigger is not an ability. They have different rules and different timings. Do not use the timing of a trigger to try and guess when an ability will happen.

Ok ok, I understood my mistake reading Solkan's answer. It has somehow escaped my notice that what I read refers to defensive triggers, and not abilities.

• Like 1