Barrows centric module, ideas and criticism welcome

Bakuriel

So, I'm putting this here initially as a placeholder post, but I will be updating and adding to it as necessary. 

Like the Dark Carnival module I worked on before, I'm getting the itch to write another one, this time much larger than before. My goal this time is to write an adventure module on a scale similar to Northern Aggression or Fire in the Sky. Lofty goals, I know, but it's been sticking with me for a while now.

The first thing I'd like to ask for help with is a name for the module. I don't have time tonight to start writing down the actual module pieces I've put together so far, but I do have an outline. I just haven't decided on a name for the adventure yet. 

To help with the idea process, this is the basic outline:

Act I: Rumors begin spreading throughout certain circles in malifaux that Alexander Barrows has fallen ill, and is spending large sums of his fortune on doctors seeking to cure himself. Thus far his efforts have failed. The focus will be on finding a doctor, if there isn't one in the party, and getting into the quarantine zone following Governor Marlow's increased patrols and security around those areas. 

Act II: After getting into the quarantine zone, the party will have to find their way to Barrows and convince him to let them help, and try to figure out what's wrong with him. There will be a number of potential setbacks with people in the area trying to capitalize on Alexander's illness. 

Act III: Parker Barrows will eventually hear of the rumors and begin amassing his gang in order to storm the Barrows and get revenge on his brother. Damage to the surrounding area will create an influx of refugees as well as draw the attention of the Guild into the area. Focus will be on preparing for the confrontation. 

Act IV: The actual showdown between the two brothers which will eventually turn into a three way crossfire between both sides of the feud and the Guild. The party will have to survive the bullet riddled altercation, and deal with the aftermath, which might involve discovering the real reason this all started in the first place. Still working on the specifics of that detail, but it'll be a doozy when finished. 

Feel free to post any ideas you have while I'm drawing up the actual posts for this, inspiration comes from all sorts of places after all. Appreciate any help I can get. 

• Like 1

Player Motivations

For most Fated there will only be one major motivation for helping Alexander Barrows: the money. Whether they plan to cure him and take the sizable reward, or attempt to rob him blind, Alexander has the majority of the Barrows fortune stashed away somewhere in his mansion. 

Fated attached to certain factions might find themselves with other reasons to infiltrate the Barrows manor. 

The Guild: For the longest time, the Guild barely patrolled the Quarantine Zones, mostly enforcing the border and rarely venturing beyond the barricades and regularly accepting bribes from folk wanting to pass by with less than legal intentions 

That all changed with the arrival of Governor General Marlow. Equipment quality and wages increased, and patrols became regular through much of the city, including the quarantine zone. While a few groups evacuated due to the increased patrols, the well equipped mercenaries in the Barrows have allowed them to resist occupation. Without Alexander, or at least without his fortune, the mercenaries would leave for better prospects and break the back of the Barrows' resistance. 

The Ressurectionists: With the increased Guild presence, territory in the quarantine zone has become much more volatile. The Barrows represents both a bastion for those fleeing patrols as well as the promise of power. Be they refugees looking for sanctuary or marauders hoping to claim new territory, Alexander's illness presents a grand opportunity for the Fated.

The Outcasts: Among those vagrants, mercenaries, and other pariahs is a man by the name of Parker Barrows, a bandit who spends his time robbing others to make his way in life, always sure to announce to his victims who it is taking their money from them. This particular quirk came about after Parker's brother, none other than Alexander himself, stabbed his brother in the back and made off with his inheritance, hiding behind crooked lawyers and obscure laws before fleeing into Malifaux with his prize and, supposedly, Parker's former fiancee. 

Parker would love nothing more than to storm his way into Alexander's life and take everything he owns, not for the money itself so much as the principle, but the money is a nice bonus. Fated belonging to the Outcasts could offer knowledge of Alexander's location, for the right price. 

Alternatively, Fated belonging to Parker's gang of thieves could take it upon themselves to track the man down out of respect for their boss, and a generous cut of the plunder, of course. 

Act I Prologue

----------------------

Act I begins with a series of rumors. None of these directly refer to Alexander Barrows or his location, due to Alexander's growing paranoia over his current condition. Fated characters will only know two things for certain: somebody is sick, and whoever it is has a lot of money to spend on curing themselves. Rumors suggest there's a general call for anyone with medical knowledge to attempt to help Alexander, but if the party lacks a doctor, there are some in the city willing to risk the trip so long as they have sufficient protection for the journey.

(This post will be periodically updated whenever I am able to continue working on the module)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...