tmod

Bases crisis...

I ordered some packs of 30mm bases to replace the new style bases in some of my latest put together models. I own every single model in plastic, and I have bought hundreds of magnets fitting into the slot underneath the previous style 30mm bases, so switching to the latest style with less room underneath and different bevel I not really an option. The disaster is that when the packs arrived they were in the new style, so pretty much useless to me.

Anyone know of somewhere to get old stocks of the previous style bases? Or a way to distinguish them so I know what I order? I'd like to stock up so I'm set until Wyrd release a new style of bases compatible with the previous one (not holding my breath)... No local store carries Malifaux, so that's not an option...

I ran into the same issue.  However, a power drill fixed that problem rather quickly.

But, I have been making cobblestones out of miliput on my bases, so drilling out the bottom to make space for a magnet didn't really change how it looked or risk breaking the base.

Edit:  I did notice that any of the old boxes come with the deep bases.  It might not be a bad investment to grab a few of the M1E or M2E cheap boxes (like Pistoleros or Guardsmen) to steal the bases and use the sprues for bits to add some flair to your other projects.

• Like 1

The profile is different, so will not match up anyway. I guess I could buy a 3rd party base matching the profile, cut away the slot, glue in a magnet and fill the underside with putty. Just an awful lot of work and putty in the end, just to get a close approximation of a early/mid M2E style base and a drop of super glue...

Buying bases through the cheaper m2e kits are hardly feasibly on scale; still about £5 per base, maybe £4 if I get lucky. Now to get bases for the next 50 sculpts to be released...

😞

4 hours ago, Hench Wrangler said:

Rather than using magnets, might I suggest a magnetic base sticker like in the link below? Will work fine on the newer bases. https://www.nobleknight.com/P/2147428811/Round-Bases---Flexible-25mm-10

Shipping from Nobleknight tends to be a nightmare, but I'll give them a try. Still leaves the fact that the profile is noticeably different. Maybe I can base some of my newer crews with the new bases and these, and reserve the old style bases for my existing crews. I have found a few lots of old style bases on eBay, so might be able to scrape by with all my 2e stuff. Also noticed that greenstuffworld seem to make nice magnet fitting bases similar in profile to the previous style Wyrd bases, so I guess I'd fall back on those otherwise.

On another note I really appreciate you trying to be helpful to an annoying customer here, even if the solution might not be what I'm going for in the end! 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/9/2019 at 11:05 PM, LeperColony said:

What caused the change in bases?

I don't think we've gotten an official reason, but it's widely assumed to be because the excellent new Wyrdscapes base toppers works better with deeper recesses on top. Unfortunately this is of little help for us who make our own bases, and the profile was also changed (probably to avoid the base + topper combination from getting too tall) noticeably.

I recently acquired a batch of coloured bases, and they were still of the old style. This got my hopes up that the old style is still in production, perhaps for some colour choices. Have anyone seen new-style coloured bases to disprove this...?

On 6/26/2019 at 6:08 PM, Hench Wrangler said:

Rather than using magnets, might I suggest a magnetic base sticker like in the link below? Will work fine on the newer bases. https://www.nobleknight.com/P/2147428811/Round-Bases---Flexible-25mm-10

I bought these as well as some wyrdscapes base toppers to go with my new Yuoko crew as a test piece. The great thing about the keyword hiring from a basing perspective is that there is less pressure to keep cohesion across the whole faction. Maybe using different options (Wyrdscapes, resins, etc) for some self-contained keywords will let me get by a few years with my supply of old bases? Will report back how the base stickers work/look when I get them...

I'm really worried about bases. First, the mix of bases in the collection. Second, in the newer ones the magnets don't fit, and they're deeper, so I have to put some green stuff in order to avoid burying the models' feet into the sand (and models sticked better with plastic glue directly onto the base).

Plus, the new inserts are not really useful, 'cause almost all models have a difficult fit on them, so I cannot use the same style of bases for all the crew. It's a pity and an opportunity lost.

For me it's a crisis, I don't know what to do. I like the newer ones, they are more polished, but they're a lot of extra work.

• Agree 1

On 5/6/2019 at 9:20 AM, Cathaidan said:

I ran into the same issue.  However, a power drill fixed that problem rather quickly.

That's funny, I JUST did the same thing to fit my magnets in but my grout texture was just slightly too thin and the bit nearly went through. Fortunately it just looks like a slight lump on the ground.

I've got old style bases and generic 30mm lipped bases off of ebay/aliexpress mixed in my display.

I'm fairly lax with these things but I've not noticed a difference between the two.

I've got a few new style bases and they're noticable. Doesn't bother me as such but I dislike them having less room for magnets. So I'll be making a new order for generic lipped bases soon.

Someone able to post a comparison photo of the older style and newer bases, I'd love to see what the difference in in practical terms.  Decide what, if anything, I'll do.

7 hours ago, dancater said:

Someone able to post a comparison photo of the older style and newer bases, I'd love to see what the difference in in practical terms.  Decide what, if anything, I'll do.

On the top, there isn't too much of a difference, and you really only notice it if you're looking for it.  The big difference is on the bottom of the base.  The Wyrdscapes bases (the new ones) have the base sitting right about the surface you place the model on, so there isn't enough room for most rareearth magnets to sit.  This means you have to drill out the base to fit the magnet.  On the original Malifaux bases, the middle of the base sat about 3-4mm above the surface it was placed on and had small plastic supports, so you had room to fit a magnet under it.  Just looking at my models on the table, the only way I can tell the difference is that my Wyrdscapes ones that I didn't drill out lean to one side because the magnets don't fit.  Inside my magnetized carry-case, I can't really tell the difference.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

@dancater

pic4888289.jpg

Pistolero on a generic 30mm lipped base, Ashigaru on an "old" Wyrd base, Manos on a "new" Wyrd base.

I struggle to distinguish the generic from the Wyrd one from the top. The great thing about the M2e era Wyrd bases is the round slot that fits a magnet perfect underneath. I found a magnet that due to the difference in metric/imperial measurements was slightly too thin, which was perfect. Doesn't stick the model so hard to sheet metal that you rip the feet of, but won't come loose by itself. The older style (and generic lipped 30mm bases), with the long slot, looks the same from the top as long as you fill in the slot, but you need different magnets. Never found reasonably priced cube magnets the perfect size for those, but might have another look.

I think the Manos base is really sticking out; if I hadn't seen the new style bases I'd assumed it was a case from Mierce or something. Nothing wrong with the look of the new style per se, but doesn't mix well with the old style at all.

I've done some more comparing, and noticed that the profile of 30mm bases (old and new style) seems different from the profiles for 40mm and 50mm bases. Might be different versions of those as well that I haven't noticed before (so presumably they have been pretty similar), but I'm excited to see how the new style 30mm looks like next to 40mm and 50mm with Wyrdscapes toppers. Will post pictures whe  I get them! 🙂

3 hours ago, Cathaidan said:

On the top, there isn't too much of a difference, and you really only notice it if you're looking for it.  The big difference is on the bottom of the base.  The Wyrdscapes bases (the new ones) have the base sitting right about the surface you place the model on, so there isn't enough room for most rareearth magnets to sit.  This means you have to drill out the base to fit the magnet.  On the original Malifaux bases, the middle of the base sat about 3-4mm above the surface it was placed on and had small plastic supports, so you had room to fit a magnet under it.  Just looking at my models on the table, the only way I can tell the difference is that my Wyrdscapes ones that I didn't drill out lean to one side because the magnets don't fit.  Inside my magnetized carry-case, I can't really tell the difference.

Yeah, the underside is the big difference. I think the new 30mm profile stand out quite a bit, but the best feature of the previous style was the space for round magnets. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks folks, 

Visually I can see the difference, but it's a matter of looking at/for it.  I can live with that from a modelling perspective.

As for REM, I have not magnitized my old models, so on that note not a huge issue, been magnetizing some SW Legion figure, so may, may do some M3E, if so this clearly means I'll have to plan it more carefully.  Hopefully by the time it becomes a serious consideration this thread, or another, will have a collection of options available.

Basically between the modelling inspiration on this forum and the world wide web of potential solutions I imagine a few options spring up.