2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - May

Caedrus

April showers are being followed by...well, May showers, in my neck of the woods, so good painting weather continues 

I'll be doing some more Thunders odds and ends this month, mostly to make sure I'm set for MuseOn Con (which I highly recommend if you're within traveling distance from Iowa). Wanyudo, another Toakage, a Thunder Brother, an Izamu for a friend, and converting Cherri Bomb into a Samurai/Fuhatsu to fit with last month's Team RWBY Misaki. I don't have exact numbers on me at the moment, but I think that's 38ss.

large.20190501_210540.jpg.b1d85b0458a8d5899aa143f64a360b7d.jpglarge.20190501_205326.jpg.334f00f8b99b9ab9e069348188c76fec.jpg

(Also, @Caedrus I realized upon seeing you have me as an Unknown for April that I hadn't given a monthly today between my two waves of completions last month. All told it was 45ss).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rathnard said:

Disaster! I've run out of black spray paint!

I had a stop in my painting activity past month for the some reasons.

But now paints arrived home and I could resume going after the scenery elements I pledged:  tons of town basements and paved streets for my flexible gaming table. The pics I posted document my progress:

IMG-20190505-123934.jpg

IMG-20190505-124004.jpg

IMG-20190505-155650.jpg

My productivity was so intense that basements invaded my Dropfleet Commander table. It's my first time with MDF; working it with airbrushed paints and washes on the walls. I could finish the job with some pigments...... if Iill be not too lazy! 

• Like 8

Hello there!

Again is cool to see so much going on already!

@Nikodemus this crime boss looks amazing!
@Purple Mist this flexible table looks really promising, looking forward to see action shots of it
@Boomstick my respect for you and anyone who dares to do conversions on wyrd models

@Stranglelove i feel you with the Goryo... I had to let about a month pass between building the first and having the strenght of going for the second, it was so frustrating and infuriating 😕

@Athiko you have a lot of work in your hands with all those ToS minis... the bases look already great

My May pledge brings the outcasts back to the table, this time is Hamelin's crew turn, and I'll paint the 3 stolen and Nix ( 3 + 8 -> 11 SS)

vpcYD32.jpg

7crRvxW.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Franchute said:

@Nikodemus you're on fire with painting! I hope your tournament went well. It was a tournament wasnt it? The one for which you needed an extra crime boss?

Thanks! Surprising myself with quality and speed. I like the Ashigaru colour scheme enough that I'll probably just copy it on all three. Should make it trivial to finish entire Yan Lo box in a month.

It was more of a casual "let's all get comfortable with 3e" type of event. But we filled three tables and got 3 games in. There were prizes. Call it what you like :PEveryone present had played at least a few 3e games but it's been somewhat intermittent during the open betas.

I played solo Misaki 6-3 vs Lynch, 2-3 vs Nekima and 8-1 vs Dashel. Crime Boss was in every game and performed excellently. Combos so well with Misaki. I did a short writeup in page 2 of the Last Blossom thread on TT beta board if interested.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Athiko said:

@Diddick Please please sculpt a poop scoop on Hamelin :D 

Nooo!!! he's such a cool mini, i built mine without the plague cloud thing, just him and the staff, i have the base already done, and the idea is ading a strong OSL from the bottom, if i manage to get what i have in mind might look cool.

Nix has a very big base, and needed something to fill it up XD

3 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I hope you paint it to be ethereal. 😀

I'm still not sure how to paint it... I thought either 100% realistic or realistic with a bit of spooky glow, but ethereal is an option too... I'll learn a bit more about Nix lore and make a character appropiate decision :D

• Like 1

WIP Soul Porter:

pic4735497.jpg

Started this guy yesterday. Hoping to finish today. We'll see. Skin is done. Fur is probably done. Gonna finish the rest before I decide if I want to strengthen the dot pattern. Could glaze in a bit of sepia for some colour interest. Lots I could do but I might just rush through the little guy.

Still undecided on colour scheme for Chiaki. Leaning towards some sort of floral pattern, but colours and details elude me still. Right now I want to do Yan Lo in a black & red with gold details, pale skin. Go for a classy "evil sorcerer" look. Will probably do him next if I can't think of anything for Chiaki.

We're almost 1/3 done with the month, hope everyone's making progress!

• Like 4

Hello

I definitely don't like to paint the third mini of a set of three minions. The amount of procrastination I face is amazing. Anyway I am happy that I reduced the shelve of shame a little bit. Here is my Doom Ward Oxfordian Mage. I believe I may have pledged this guy in June 2018 or thought about pledging him. I went for 'he has to be done' type of approach. That's why I didnt paint any OSL coming from between his hands as I initially thought I would.

693-FFF78-F10-C-40-C2-AEFF-00-B127-D8-D6

AEEC3678-8-B0-A-430-D-861-C-E5-BA3-C98-B

@Caedrus the mage puts me at 6ss for the month so far.

Talking about the shelve of shame, I believe I pledged the next minis in December 2017. There was a challenge on A Wyrd Place at that time, where one had to paint a crew box for christmas. In the end, I only painted the totem of that box. I might try the minions now.

021171-D6-F3-B3-4-A8-E-9-C96-0-B3-FF9-A6

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Talking about the shelve of shame, I believe I pledged the next minis in December 2017. There was a challenge on A Wyrd Place at that time, where one had to paint a crew box for christmas. In the end, I only painted the totem of that box. I might try the minions now.

That was a really fun challenge. Did Hoffman box for a local for that. Got to play around with my new Vallejo Metal Colours. Can't remember if I did it on time though:PI recall having a bit of a burnout/break/videogames around that time.

Competent work on the mage. Easily beats grey👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WIP update of my Barbaros:

IMG-20190509-173420.jpg

Sorry for bad quality of the pic. This time the model looks better live than in the pic: I like a lot the contrast between the acid green of the armour (a shifting colour paint) and the blue of the skin. There's till many to do and my decision to not pin the model fixing it to a tap was a great mistake: I need to dress latex gloves to grab and manipulate the model when painting it. I'm lucky the weather is till a winter one!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Franchute said:

The amount of procrastination I face is amazing. Anyway I am happy that I reduced the shelve of shame a little bit. Here is my Doom Ward Oxfordian Mage. I believe I may have pledged this guy in June 2018 or thought about pledging him. I went for 'he has to be done' type of approach. That's why I didnt paint any OSL coming from between his hands as I initially thought I would.

Guess the "Company of the Shame" is huge around here. On my own I have till to start painting minis I primed in 2017. :(

I like a lot your Oxfordian Mage, although I think your pic is more exalting the base (it's simply perfect) rather than the figure.

Brace yourselves, crappy pictures incoming! I wanted to share with you guys my Samael Hopkins, almost finished. For the base I'll use the Greenstuff terraint paint, this cracking paint that leaves it terrain like... the only problem with my tests so far is that if I apply it directly from the bottle the effect is very nice but too pale for my liking, so I'll have to play with inks so "brown it" a little. 

IMG-20190510-063349.jpg

IMG-20190510-063405.jpg

(it never ceases to puzzle me the hammer in his back, is like he just walks around with it waiting for a "Test your might" game to suddenly appear)

Sonnia is almost done too, but that's for another update.

• Like 5