2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - May

Caedrus

@Chou: Nice work on Sam! I'm loving the bright gold. My Sam is sitting in front of me, right now!

I'm less concerned about the mallet, I'm more concerned about a heavy golden ornament hanging in front of his Gentleman's Area, just waiting for a game of "Test your ability to get your testicles absolutely smashed in". :o

@Caedrus Witchling Handler is the bomb.  Metallics are spot on and the freehand is nice and understated. 

@Nikodemus - I think the lanterns actually look really good, just not like they're any sort of lanterns. When I first saw them I thought they were some sort of bashed up gourds or pumpkin type things and thought it was a really cool approach to the model.

Getting something to look glowey on a model is more to do with lighting the surrounding areas, as the light source itself is usually fairly monotone. Those kinds of lanterns are a bit of a nightmare though as they're really big and not really that interesting looking in real life. Most of the better looking examples of those I've seen on Ten Thunders models are painted more fantastically, or as if it's daytime/they're not lit.

But I like your pumpkins. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello,

I completed the basements I planned to work as  a part of my pledge for the month.

1.  Twelve 10x10 cm basements (5ss each): overall 60 ss

IMG-20190511-142735.jpg

IMG-20190511-142822.jpg

2.  Six 10x20 cm basements (5ss each): overall 30 ss

IMG-20190511-143307.jpg

IMG-20190511-143323.jpg

3.  Four 20x20 cm basements (5ss each): overall 20 ss

IMG-20190511-143539.jpg

4. Nine 20x30 sc basements (5ss each): overall 45 ss

IMG-20190511-144545.jpg

IMG-20190511-144658.jpg

The overall ss value, if I'm not wrong is 155.

It was mainly an airbrush exercise. The brick walls have been airbrushed with orange paint and the hand washed with GW CARROBUNG CRIMSON.

The paved street/square surfaces  have been airbrushed with GW FENRISIAN GREY, hand washed with GW NURN OIL, completed with Vallejo MEDIUM GUNSHIP GRAY by airbrush to get a marble/stone effect. I experimented that I had a more effective result airbrushing a dark colour other a light one, rather than the contrary.

• Like 7

Pledge is nearly done, mostly just need to finish basing. In the meantime, here's a finished Jaakuna:

bAA0nYX.jpg

Nothing too special. Skin has been a particular challenge for this crew because I've been using GW's Ironach Skin and changing its tint with shades. It's such a light color that every inconsistency shows up. Makes for really tedious touch-ups.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this month's pledges!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Stranglelove said:

Nothing too special. Skin has been a particular challenge for this crew because I've been using GW's Ironach Skin and changing its tint with shades. It's such a light color that every inconsistency shows up. Makes for really tedious touch-ups.

Are you trying to be consistent with it across multiple models? I suppose I can see how that'd be a pain.

Lately I've been having a lot of fun with painting very light things and then washing them down for various effects. I'm never trying to reproduce anything so it's quite fun and liberating to just slosh things on have them come out good. Yan Lo's skin (VGC Warmgrey highlighted white, washed purple) and Ashigaru's bone (VMC Beige, highlighted white, washed green+brown mix) as recent examples.

Nice shade of green at any rate on Jaakuna.

@Diddick fantastic work. Black hide on Nix really lets everything else pop. Smashing!

@Franchute Loving that bright fire you've managed to get. I'm envious.

Me, I'm still trying to figure out a scheme for Chiaki. Had a long chat with Lead Creative Consultant (aka. The Wife) tonight. Ideas were bounced back 'n forth. Gonna start putting some paint onto a model tomorrow. Sketch on the model if nothing else. Get that ball rolling.

• Thanks 2

On 5/11/2019 at 9:17 PM, lusciousmccabe said:

@Purple Mist The terrain looks great but I find the colour on the brickwork a bit off. I think it's too red/crimson as bricks tend to be more orange/terracotta coloured. Then again it's fantastical Malifaux brickwork, so who's to say that colour isn't entirely appropriate!

I used that same shades that I used fom many of mine brick factory bases I posted in post times. I trust the colour of the bricks on the basements will give a great contrast with the sea water play-mat I plan to use. Then, I have a lot of buildilng with bricks to build and paint till: I plan to use a terracotta/orange-brown shades on them.

Thanks for your interest and for kind words of encouragement.

• Like 1

@Caedrus Sadly, I have had to withdraw from the painting challenge. I had been hoping that the health things that I mentioned when I first signed up in January were going to be easy fixes. Unfortunately, they haven't been as yet. I will continue to look at the amazing work others are producing and congratulate everyone on their achievements instead. 🙂

• Like 2

@Caedrus great OSL! She'll be pretty when finished.

___

After a few days of lazy work on Chiaki I pulled myself together and did the white. Still need to put some freehand on. Contemplating a few options. Will push some shadows and highlights here 'n there by the end. But for now it's in a good place waiting for freehand. Going for a somewhat harsher look on the white. Strong shadows. Stark, visible brush strokes up close. I quite fancy that painterly look. Will be fun to see how this turns out. Also testing out an art store heavy body Titanium White for this project. Been seeing those recommended a lot. Decided to give it a shot. So far so good. Haven't used enough to really compare with minibrand whites.

pic4747537.jpgpic4747538.jpg

Rest of the bits are just placeholder. Thinking black ribbons and tanned skin. 

Two weeks to go. Should be able to break 50ss this month:)

• Like 8