New to game rules questions

renwald

So I have recently been shown this game and after our first few games I have started to learn the rules for myself by reading through the books.  After looking through the various talents, triggers, and pursuits there were a few things I was unclear about

1.  Duels vs Challenges: throughout the text they reference challenges and duels? They sound interchangeable but one talent will use the word challenge, such as undermine which states "This character gains + to all Intimidate Challenges made during Narrative Time." Then some triggers will use the the word duel such as the crow culinary trigger which states "that Beast
gains + to all duels it makes during Narrative Time for the rest of the day."
(just stated the important parts).  Finally you have some triggers that use both words in the same sentence like deceive "After failing, you may make a Convince Challenge against the same target with a + to the duel. If you succeed, there are no repercussions for failing the Deceive duel."  

2.  The elemental weapon magia: In the description the magia states "Any character damaged by the target weapon suffers
the effects of any added Elemental Immuto."
 Does this mean if I add fire elemental weapon to my long arm every time I hit the target automatically burns? Or does the target need to make a Wp check to resist the elemental weapon every time it is hit?  The text seems imply it just happens, but looking at the magia itself it states it needs a Wp to resist.  Then if the spell does require a Wp draw when is it drawn?  Every time I hit with my weapon? Or is my draw made only once on the first casting and then each time I compare Wp to that number for the entire duration?

4 hours ago, renwald said:

So I have recently been shown this game and after our first few games I have started to learn the rules for myself by reading through the books.  After looking through the various talents, triggers, and pursuits there were a few things I was unclear about

1.  Duels vs Challenges: throughout the text they reference challenges and duels? They sound interchangeable but one talent will use the word challenge, such as undermine which states "This character gains + to all Intimidate Challenges made during Narrative Time." Then some triggers will use the the word duel such as the crow culinary trigger which states "that Beast
gains + to all duels it makes during Narrative Time for the rest of the day."
(just stated the important parts).  Finally you have some triggers that use both words in the same sentence like deceive "After failing, you may make a Convince Challenge against the same target with a + to the duel. If you succeed, there are no repercussions for failing the Deceive duel."  

From page 284:

Whenever a Fated character attempts an action that has some chance of failure (often called a "Challenge"), her player engaged in a duel to determine the outcome.

So, yeah.  Probably more importantly, when the rules talk about fate modifiers to a challenge, mechanically that means that you apply the fate modifiers to the duels used to resolve that challenge.

It's a "+2 bonus to hit" vs. "+2 to attacks" sort of thing, where you get the same result using different words.

2.  The elemental weapon magia: In the description the magia states "Any character damaged by the target weapon suffers
the effects of any added Elemental Immuto."
 Does this mean if I add fire elemental weapon to my long arm every time I hit the target automatically burns? Or does the target need to make a Wp check to resist the elemental weapon every time it is hit?  The text seems imply it just happens, but looking at the magia itself it states it needs a Wp to resist.  Then if the spell does require a Wp draw when is it drawn?  Every time I hit with my weapon? Or is my draw made only once on the first casting and then each time I compare Wp to that number for the entire duration?

Elemental Weapon has a resist because it can be cast on characters (as described in the second sentence of the first paragraph) and it's mechanically possible for the target character to not want the effect applied.*. If you're casting it on weapon, or the target character relents, you just need to deal with TN to cast the spell.

Once you've cast the spell, you just automatically apply the effects of the chosen Elemental Immuto to characters damaged by weapon/character's Grappling/Martial Artials/Pugilism attacks.  If you cast Elemental Weapon with one Fire Immuto that will mean that characters damaged by the sword automatically gain Burning +1.  (You can cast Elemental Weapon with multiple copies of the same Elemental Immuto or different Elemental Immutos, so you could get Burning +2 or more on each attack; but the last sentence of Elemental Weapon's effects stops you from casting it multiple times to build up bigger effects using lower target numbers.)

[* One plausible scenario I can think of for why you'd cast Elemental Weapon on someone that's going to resist is if you wanted to "turn off" a particularly nasty effect on an enemy's enchanted weapon/person.  If you don't have armor or hard to wound, Elemental Weapon (Spirit) is pretty harmless to put on the enemy.  Elemental Weapon (Water) is even more safe to use to overwrite an opponent's enchantment.]