Sign in to follow this  
Fetid Strumpet

Sybelle.

So I wanted to gauge opinions I’ve been trying to get Sybelle to work and I’ve just been really dissatisfied with her, and I wanted to see if it’s me, or if she really is lack luster. I mean even in her keyword Archie does what her ostensible role is better, for the same cost, and has more mobility. I mean the buffs she gives to a Red Chapel crew are ok, but the hoops you have to jump through to get them just don’t seem commensurate with the effect she gives. Seems just better all around to just hire Archie.

Since she's a Zombie model I've tried fitting her into Nicodem lists but always find myself preferring Archie, Grave Golem, or the Emissary over her. Sybelle isn't bad stat-wise, 6's and 5's everywhere, and Undivided Attention brings down all enemy duels. I think my problem is her entire kit is built around being in the center of the enemies crew, but she lacks the sustainability. Archie has a weaker Df and Wp, but has a higher Terrifying, Numbskull to avoid debilitating effects, Flurry to maximize damage, and heals on Hurl Corpse and Brain Freeze. Archie maximizes his own strengths and doesn't require support to do so while Sybelle debilitates and needs help staying alive. If Undivided Attention didn't require enemies to be engaged but was shortened to a 4":ToS-Aura: and she had Regen +1 I'd think she'd be a bit more attractive as a hire.

Well undivided attention is one of those hoops I mentioned. What it does is ok, but to get that just ok ability you have to:

1) Activate Sybelle before anything you want to affect with it.

2) have a already gotten, or will immediately get models you want to affect within range of the aura AND engaged. They can’t have activated already.

3) used a 6+ card to make the ability function.

I mean that is a good deal of setup for an ability that doesn’t really do a lot. 

So it’s not just me? She’s just not good even in her own keyword?

I have been using Redchapel a fair amount and I have completely given up on Sybelle now. I use Archie/ Anna and the Emmisary as my big costly minis in her spot depending on the scheme/ strat pool and opponent's crew. 

12 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

That just makes me mad. They haven’t  made a good version of Sybelle or Bete noir in 3 editions of the game.

Bete noire is very good, I use it with ASURA and I have some crazy combos, thanks to "zombie apocalipse" with the trigger "come to me" (Books, Crow)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Banned said:

Bete noire is very good, I use it with ASURA and I have some crazy combos, thanks to "zombie apocalipse" with the trigger "come to me" (Books, Crow)

Agreed, Bete Noire is a good model with a high mobility combo. Also with Seamus killing it´s relatively easy to place anywhere, and charges for free...It´s pretty cool. 

About Sybelle, i use her with Seamus a lot. Here i read that has not sustain. She´s a henchman, so she can use prevention. Also has Terrifying 11, which added to the Scarlet temptation of other Redchapel models it´s almost imposible to pass, also htw and gains focus 1 if an enemy is lured towards his 6" radius. 

She has nice triggers, 3/3/4 track that with his Critical gets on 4/4/5 in the worst case, can get blasts and can push enemies off...

Beckoning call is a nice Lure and the undivided atention makes the whole band a bunch of resistent bastards. Also she can disengage Seamus with a bonus action. 

She´s pretty good in my opinion. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BimVooDoo said:

About Sybelle, i use her with Seamus a lot. Here i read that has not sustain. She´s a henchman, so she can use prevention. Also has Terrifying 11, which added to the Scarlet temptation of other Redchapel models it´s almost imposible to pass, also htw and gains focus 1 if an enemy is lured towards his 6" radius.

I wouldn't say that Terrifying 11 is almost impossible to pass on a :-flip. WP5 has a 37% chance, WP6 47%, WP7 58%. Not great, admittedly. But far from achievable. 

And Ruthless obviously don't care at all. Which is a fairly common ability, and two factions (Bayou and Ressers) have as generic Upgrades, and given the prevalence of Terrifying in Redchapel, probably not a bad idea.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have as much disdain for Sybelle as others. But relying on Terrifying and Scarlet Temptation to keep her alive, when it can be anywhere from a minor pain to trivial, to ignore it. And as that's her primary source of protection, I can see how people think she's a bit too vulnerable.

I don’t really find her especially vulnerable, I find that she doesn’t bring enough to justify her cost. Her impact on the table is equal to or less, in general, than models I can buy for 8 or 9 stones. 

I mean everything in the game is relative. 10stones of effect is only meaningful if you compare it to other options for the same cost and role. And Sybelle’s role as a beater is more than eclipsed by Archie, who even with the out of keyword tax, costs the same. And he’s even more versitile because with leap he’s better at scheme running than she is, he hits harder, and with flurry, more than she does, and has about as much synergy with red chapel as Sybelle does.

The only things Sybelle does better are:

Having a longer melee range, which is a problem for her because if she’s using the longer range she isn’t effectively utiliIizing her Scarlet temptation.

And she’s red chapel so Seamus can more easily shoot whatever she is engaged with.

I more than think that a better dmg line, more attacks, and leap are more than a better trade for those.

• Like 1

Has anyone taken her as a leader? I've heard of some people taking Zombie henchmen as leaders to get zombie crews.

You get access to an interesting array of characters.

I have no idea if zombie crews are good, but I've heard of them and wonder if Sybelle might be positioned to be the best leader for it (as then her cost is irrelevant when comparing her to Mortimer or Asura?)

Asura is almost certainly the best zombie keyword henchman leader. She can reanimate on any zombie to give an extra action and has a very relevant set of abilities. Unfortunately, I just don't think that Sybelle does enough in any slot this edition. 

• Agree 1