Sign in to follow this  
BornOnTheBayou

Mah's bonus action

So, I had a few games with Mah. Okay fun crew, however, I feel that her bonus action is never really doing anything, because it is short range and because enemies can so easily just walk around the pit traps. Does she need another bonus action you think?

Since Mah is now immune to her own markers I think it's a lot better. Place them before engaging or force oppents to have to take a walk action to get around them. 

Worst case scenario can try to heart of the cards to get the card draw.

• Agree 1

walking around a pit trap adds quit a significant distance, instead of the 8 cm to cross it, you are looking at 20cm to walk around it ( a difference of nearly 5 inches).  Plus it is pretty handy at blocking charges, which can't avoid it.

And Mah needs a way to add traps because so much of her card has pushes that you really want to use to push people into traps.

• Agree 1

I played last day with Mah against Seamus, and I hired 2 Bushswackers too. At the beginning of the game with 3 Traps I blocked a very important area, and I cotinue using it to difficult the movement and make little damage. i love it!

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, yerati said:

I played last day with Mah against Seamus, and I hired 2 Bushswackers too. At the beginning of the game with 3 Traps I blocked a very important area, and I cotinue using it to difficult the movement and make little damage. i love it!

Yup. And while they can't be Created overlapping, all you need to do is put them an inch apart (ie, just under 30mm), and those three could block a passageway between two impassable terrain pieces that is just over 10" wide. If you can't block off some good areas of control with that, you're needing more terrain. :)

Forgive me if I push back a little here. 

Sure, but this is a bonus action on a master. Zoreida can redraw a full set of cards. Zipp can make three blocking terrain markers. Wong can draw cards and give glowy tokens to the crew. 

Mahs ability is fine if she was a minion, bit I feel she needs to do more. Besides, do you really want to spend a master AP and a master bonus action to give one model 1 point of dmg and +1 injured by pushing them? 

At least let her make them further away, and maybe let her discard a card or two to make more traps (like Zipp). If you only have Mah and no bushwackers, that single trap won't do much of a difference I'll say. 

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BornOnTheBayou said:

Sure, but this is a bonus action on a master. Zoreida can redraw a full set of cards. Zipp can make three blocking terrain markers. Wong can draw cards and give glowy tokens to the crew. 

Mahs ability is fine if she was a minion, bit I feel she needs to do more. Besides, do you really want to spend a master AP and a master bonus action to give one model 1 point of dmg and +1 injured by pushing them?

For a lot of the beta, Hamlin had no bonus action. For the last edition Mei Feng had no bonus action. Tara 's bonus action is identical to every other member of her crew. (And on Mahs  trigger its drawing 2 cards and discarding 1. That's probably a worthwhile bonus action on its own)

What matters to me is the whole package, not the power level of any one action. Masters don't have to have the most powerful action because they do have more actions than other models..

And, yes I would consider spending her bonus action (which is a no brainer to at least attempt) and one of her actions  to reposition the board, and put an enemy model in a bad place. it is worth pointing out that its not just going to do 1 damage and 1 injured because they are in the terrain, so any actions they take will make them take the damage and injured again. And yes they can destroy the pit trap, but then that's given them slow. So as well as costing them an action because they are no longer in the right place, you have cost them an action to destroy the trap, and done a point of damage and given them injured.  (Plus I'm more likely to be doing it as a a trigger off one of the attack actions).

A turn where Mah goes, Pit trap, Hollering, to push them into the trap, Charge with the spoon (effective stat 7), aiming for knock aside and then either a second spoon (effective stat 8) or a handful of snakes hitting multiple models (effective stat 7) looks like its probably done 9+ damage to the initial target, as well as Injured 3, and possibly done damage and the injured condition to multiple enemy models nearby seems a decent activation that has probably cost 2 stones or medium to good cards.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Adran said:

A turn where Mah goes, Pit trap, Hollering, to push them into the trap, Charge with the spoon (effective stat 7), aiming for knock aside and then either a second spoon (effective stat 😎 or a handful of snakes hitting multiple models (effective stat 7) looks like its probably done 9+ damage to the initial target, as well as Injured 3, and possibly done damage and the injured condition to multiple enemy models nearby seems a decent activation that has probably cost 2 stones or medium to good cards.

And as that's a lot of ping damage (5 damage against A+2), it's very effective anti-Armor tech. Anything that can get multiple ticks in a turn against armor is just awesome.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Adran said:

A turn where Mah goes, Pit trap, Hollering, to push them into the trap, Charge with the spoon (effective stat 7), aiming for knock aside and then either a second spoon (effective stat 😎 or a handful of snakes hitting multiple models (effective stat 7) looks like its probably done 9+ damage to the initial target, as well as Injured 3, and possibly done damage and the injured condition to multiple enemy models nearby seems a decent activation that has probably cost 2 stones or medium to good cards.

Nice points, Adran. I would rather just use my action to charge and hit three times with the spoon, than do the whole hollering thing, which to be fair, is not even always possible because of terrain getting in the way of the push, positioning etc.. That's also 9+ dmg and you do not need to hit the trigger for moving the enemy on your spoon attack. I'm not saying that your combo isn't good or anything, I'm just saying that her bonus action is a bit meh, and dependent on numerous things in order to work. Why not give her a few more traps, more range or an extra bonus action? You think that would make her OP?

• Agree 1

I think Mah has plenty of things going on with her card already, her bonus action is the least thing on her card and that's fine considering she's got all her other shenanigans going on. Is it always useful? Nope but she has something on her card that will be used. I'm ok with that flexibility.

• Like 1