"Easiest" Keyword in M3E

theamazingmrg

As the title says, what do you think the "easiest" Guild Keyword to pick up and play while learning M3E is?

I have all Guild Masters and most of the minis (missing Basse, for obvious reasons, Allison Dade, and a few Marshal models) and I'm just wondering what will be easiest to get my head around while I actually learn the game?

I think Marshal is pretty easy, they haven't changed radically from 2nd, tho there are some new abilities to play around with.

That said if you played m2e relatively recently it shouldn't take too long for you to get your head around your favorite m2e guild master.  Yeah the cards have changed but the general flow of the game is pretty similar.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, muraki said:

I think Marshal is pretty easy, they haven't changed radically from 2nd, tho there are some new abilities to play around with.

That said if you played m2e relatively recently it shouldn't take too long for you to get your head around your favorite m2e guild master.  Yeah the cards have changed but the general flow of the game is pretty similar.

My last game of M2E was last year, and I have only ever played Hoffman.  I think his Power Token mechanics might take some getting used to!

I may just opt for Dashel - not sure what I'll proxy for the Dispatcher though!

Specifically for Hoffman, I think I would give him a guardian in every crew to Toss him forward until one breaks the habit of trying to move him with M2E ‘Magnetic’. He has to use actions to move himself now, and it is disorienting. (The mechanical attendant’s new magnet-pulse is an immense help but it takes practice to line up the shots.) Forgetting that obey was a playstyle is easier—just play Lucius instead.

I grasped power tokens instantly, so if there are tricks to learning their use I do not know them. Only tricky things are remembering that Joss cannot usually spend them like the rest, and that only Guild stompybots share tokens when they die.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 5:49 PM, Gnomezilla said:

Specifically for Hoffman, I think I would give him a guardian in every crew to Toss him forward until one breaks the habit of trying to move him with M2E ‘Magnetic’. He has to use actions to move himself now, and it is disorienting. (The mechanical attendant’s new magnet-pulse is an immense help but it takes practice to line up the shots.) Forgetting that obey was a playstyle is easier—just play Lucius instead.

I grasped power tokens instantly, so if there are tricks to learning their use I do not know them. Only tricky things are remembering that Joss cannot usually spend them like the rest, and that only Guild stompybots share tokens when they die.

If you opponent is ok with dead man's hand, my new vote for easiest is Hoffman.  Putting fast and power tokens on ryle and watch him wreck your opponents advance is fairly basic.  

16 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

If you opponent is ok with dead man's hand, my new vote for easiest is Hoffman.  Putting fast and power tokens on ryle and watch him wreck your opponents advance is fairly basic.  

I agree. First time using Ryle yesterday and it was sick. He alone scored all my reckoning points. 

On 4/19/2019 at 9:51 PM, 4thstringer said:

On 4/20/2019 at 2:17 PM, NickDub said:

I agree. First time using Ryle yesterday and it was sick. He alone scored all my reckoning points. 

I decided against Hoffman as he was the only Master I'd ever played with before and I fancied trying something different, so went for Sonnia.  By the sounds of it I should have stuck with the Hoff!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

I decided against Hoffman as he was the only Master I'd ever played with before and I fancied trying something different, so went for Sonnia.  By the sounds of it I should have stuck with the Hoff!

Can't go wrong with Sonnia imo.  An absolute killing machine and more durability than last edition.  

5 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

Can't go wrong with Sonnia imo.  An absolute killing machine and more durability than last edition.  

That was my thinking.  Didn't work out in practice!   I ended up against two Sandeeps with things immune to burning.  And had terrible flips!  .  The only time she died was when she got cornered by a Lord Chompy Bits  and a Teddy and then couldn't hit anything in return!  It was a lot of fun though

2 hours ago, theamazingmrg said:

That was my thinking.  Didn't work out in practice!   I ended up against two Sandeeps with things immune to burning.  And had terrible flips!  .  The only time she died was when she got cornered by a Lord Chompy Bits  and a Teddy and then couldn't hit anything in return!  It was a lot of fun though

Eh, I find Sonnia isn't too bad against crews with burning resistance or crews that set themselves on fire.  One of the main things she uses burning for are making her attacks more accurate, and turning things into Witchlings.  Models that set themselves on fire for benefits do some of this work for her.  Making them easy targets to throw blasty spells at or punishing them with Scorchthe Soul.  Sonnia is very scary for everybody!

To answer the question as to "easiest" keyword. I think it depends on how you are defining easy.  Are we talking about easiest to pick up and play?  Or easiest to win an event with.  I assume it has to be "pick up and play" because otherwise the title of the thread would be like "tier list" or "most competitive".  In terms of easiest to "pick up and play" I would say we are looking at the following requirements:

1) Powerful Master who can function independently of crew

2) Crew is well rounded and models can fight at range or in melee, allowing players more leeway with positioning.  

3) Synergy is passive and requires little set up.

Looking at this, I think Lady Justice is the "easiest" keyword.   Justice herself is a self explanatory melee wrecking ball.  Its obviously what she does and how she does it.  Death Marshals are very well rounded minions, decent shooting, decent defenses, decent melee- especially with Pine Box.   Makes for a very capable and easy to understand crew.  Mostly held back by their speed, but have ways to mitigate that.

Sonnia is likely the second easiest.  Sonnia is a blaster, she wants to stay back and explode the other crew.  She does this very well.  Its an intuitive play style, and she is heavily rewarded for doing what you want her to do.  Her defensive tech is well suited to discouraging opponents from closing in on her (which is also good), and her keyword naturally plays into her strengths by covering her melee weakness (Thrall, Stalkers) and spreading additional burning.  Her synergy is intuitive, and her damage from range is oppressive.

Basse I would put in third.  He requires a bit more manipulation and planning than the other two, but Frontier has some really good models in keyword and Basse himself has a pretty brutal shotgun which makes him a huge threat in melee or range.   I expect he will be even stronger and gain new options when the new faction is revealed.  

Perdita would be fourth, her models are pretty self sufficient, and she is great.  But her synergy is a bit lacking and requires a lot of work to get going for questionable rewards. 

Dashel I would say is fifth.  He is intuitive, but as a summoner requires a larger collection to be viable, and a more nuanced understanding of when to save and when to use high cards.

Hoffman, Lucius, and Nellie are all a bit more finesse oriented in roughly that order.  They require setting up crew synergies to excel, and manipulating the board around them.  

Obviously this isn't a tier list, just my opinion of what the easiest keywords to pick up and play in M3E will be.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1