MrDeathTrout

Creative Salvage

Creative Salvage: Enemy models killed by this model Drop a Scrap Marker in addition to any other Markers Dropped.

If a model doesn't drop any markers does Creative Salvage still drop a marker?  I'd say yes, but I can see the argument that since the killed model isn't dropping any markers their is nothing for it to be in addition to.

8 hours ago, MrDeathTrout said:

If a model doesn't drop any markers does Creative Salvage still drop a marker?  I'd say yes, but I can see the argument that since the killed model isn't dropping any markers their is nothing for it to be in addition to.

Creative Salvage says that you drop an extra marker.  That contradicts the effects that say no markers are dropped.  The result should be no markers getting dropped.  

Because of the conflict resolution rules (Breaking the Rules):

If two special rules directly contradict each other, rules that prevent something from happening take precedent over rules that allow something to happen.

• Agree 1

• Creative Salvage: Enemy models killed by this model Drop a Scrap Marker in addition to any other Markers Dropped.
  • Demise (Explosive +2): After this model is killed, models within p2 suffer +2 damage. This model does not Drop any Markers when killed.

As much as I'd like to say Creative Salvage gets around it, at least in this example I think the "in addition to any other Markers" bit does mean that if no markers are placed the bonus ones are also not placed.

18 minutes ago, retnab said:
  • Creative Salvage: Enemy models killed by this model Drop a Scrap Marker in addition to any other Markers Dropped.
  • Demise (Explosive +2): After this model is killed, models within p2 suffer +2 damage. This model does not Drop any Markers when killed.

As much as I'd like to say Creative Salvage gets around it, at least in this example I think the "in addition to any other Markers" bit does mean that if no markers are placed the bonus ones are also not placed.

@retnab If two special rules directly contradict each other, rules that prevent something from happening take precedent over rules that allow something to happen.

On the subject, I don't see any reason to not drop a marker, that "in addition to" is just there to clarify that several markers can be dropped by the killed model.

34 minutes ago, bedjy said:

@retnab If two special rules directly contradict each other, rules that prevent something from happening take precedent over rules that allow something to happen.

On the subject, I don't see any reason to not drop a marker, that "in addition to" is just there to clarify that several markers can be dropped by the killed model.

The Demise (explosive +2) has the rule that the model doesn't drop markers when killed.

This doesn't answer the question when its related to a model that just has no rules to drop markers (as opposed to rules to not drop markers) such as the void wretches (who aren't living, undead, beast or constructs), which I think constructive salvage would drop a scrap from.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Adran said:

This doesn't answer the question when its related to a model that just has no rules to drop markers (as opposed to rules to not drop markers) such as the void wretches (who aren't living, undead, beast or constructs), which I think constructive salvage would drop a scrap from.

Agreed, I see that similar to attacks that don't normally deal damage still being affected by +1 damage effects, so in this case a Void Wretch killed by a CS model would drop 0+1 markers.

4 hours ago, bedjy said:

I asked about that interaction specifically a month or two ago and the consensus was that no markers would be dropped

5 hours ago, Mycellanious said:

I asked about that interaction specifically a month or two ago and the consensus was that no markers would be dropped

That's different. The question here is for models that aren't living, undead, beasts or constructs. Not for models that have some ability that stop them from dropping any markers.