Ice Immuto-Paralyzed-Actual Effects

Sir Slick

Hi All, I'm new to Through the Breach and have created a fun Magewright/Gunslinger character, with the emphasis on the latter pursuit. He uses Elemental Weapon with the Ice Immuto on his pistol. When the right criteria have been met he can "freeze" an enemy and give them the Paralyzed Condition which lasts until the end of the enemy's turn.  My question is: If someone is Paralyzed, they "generate no AP and can declare no Actions on her turn during Dramatic Time," can they make a Disengaging Strike against someone moving out of their engagement range? Is there an official ruling on the Paralyzed Condition? If someone is Paralyzed and can't take any actions on their turn, how could they possibly take the Disengaging Strike Action (which is a Melee Attack Combat Action) on someone else's turn! We are debating this issue in my group because of the wording "on her turn," which some people have interpreted as they are only Paralyzed on their turn, not someone else's. Any official rulings or advice would be great. Thanks, having a blast playing the game.

I'd suggest incorporating the Malifaux 2nd Edition errata to Paralyzed.  So I think the replacement for the first sentence would be:

A character with this Condition generates no AP and can declare no Actions (whether or not its the character's Activation) during Dramatic Time. The character is also not considered to have an engagement range or to be engaging any characters (and therefore cannot take Disengaging Strikes).

That seems to be reasonable since Through the Breach is using a modified version of the M2E rules, and that errata was basically added to address the same sort of complaints.

As a player (please ignore the orange name for this) my understanding is that a character's Turn (TTB terminology) is very close to model's activation Activation (Malifaux terminology.) So when something resolves at the end of the character's Turn, such as the Paralyzed Condition, it has no impact on other characters' Turns. I may be super off, but that's how my group does it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 9:21 AM, solkan said:

I'd suggest incorporating the Malifaux 2nd Edition errata to Paralyzed.  So I think the replacement for the first sentence would be:

A character with this Condition generates no AP and can declare no Actions (whether or not its the character's Activation) during Dramatic Time. The character is also not considered to have an engagement range or to be engaging any characters (and therefore cannot take Disengaging Strikes).

That seems to be reasonable since Through the Breach is using a modified version of the M2E rules, and that errata was basically added to address the same sort of complaints.

This is how we do it too.  Though if a paralyzed character is attacked in :melee and someone else later tries to :rangedat either the attacker or the paralyzed model, we count that as shooting into an engagement.