[M3E] Counter-Takes

4thstringer

I was playing into Mei Fang last night, and got thinking about counter-takes.  Not just "I took this one model, because I'm facing this master", but instead a full on "I see that they are taking Mei, so I will buy the second master (Hoffman) and pay merc tax on his entire crew" because of how much of a hard counter it would seem.

Have any of you tried such a build, and which masters was it against?  How did it work?  Was the Tax just too great?

If you haven't done so, what opposing masters would you consider doing that for?

On 4/6/2019 at 3:38 AM, le_wahou said:

It would not be dependant on the master, but on strat/scheme. If the models that counter the opponent master are also efficient on strat/scheme, 1 point tax per model is not that high.

I am not sure it needs to be that good into the strat, schemes.  I had perdita into Mei, so I tried it.  I took dita with llc, neph, 2 pistoleros, and then as a counter Hoffman, a peacekeeper and a hunter.  My opponent just couldn't deal with the armor and keep having to activate fast to keep from losing the scrap he wanted.  And since they didn't care about the vent steam auras, the two bots (with a little help from perdita, but not much) took out the forgeling, a rail worker, Mei, and a paper oni.   Perdita took out the pork chop, and made him run his rail golem away with a analyze weakness.  

So it can work.  Maybe Marshalls against summoners?

11 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

I am not sure it needs to be that good into the strat, schemes.  I had perdita into Mei, so I tried it.  I took dita with llc, neph, 2 pistoleros, and then as a counter Hoffman, a peacekeeper and a hunter...

Sounds like the awkwardest first date ever.

My meta is still learning how to counter-punch themes which aren’t stompybots (do not take Augmented against the suspicion of any type of hazardous spam which isn’t Vent Steam) and even then it has been more against Guild than by it.

I have run a shockwave list with plenty of No Prisoners and Miss Kore (and the occasional well-timed fast from Hoffman) as a counter. It avoids targeting trouble, but it’s too unreliable at TN Df12, too possible to top-deck succeed avoiding the assault. Even having Miss Kore nudge the TN up by one seems to increase damage output to something like reliable. When it works, it’s fantastic, have made Pandora and Ulix regret life as they hit a streak of weak cards on the resists...but Hoffman should equal reliability, and this tactic isn’t! (Nor is the availability of his free action, and that is driving me absolutely bananas every game.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Sounds like the awkwardest first date ever.

My meta is still learning how to counter-punch themes which aren’t stompybots (do not take Augmented against the suspicion of any type of hazardous spam which isn’t Vent Steam) and even then it has been more against Guild than by it.

I have run a shockwave list with plenty of No Prisoners and Miss Kore (and the occasional well-timed fast from Hoffman) as a counter. It avoids targeting trouble, but it’s too unreliable at TN Df12, too possible to top-deck succeed avoiding the assault. Even having Miss Kore nudge the TN up by one seems to increase damage output to something like reliable. When it works, it’s fantastic, have made Pandora and Ulix regret life as they hit a streak of weak cards on the resists...but Hoffman should equal reliability, and this tactic isn’t! (Nor is the availability of his free action, and that is driving me absolutely bananas every game.)

I'm wondering if the Shockwave list would work better into crew/strat combos that encourage people to bunch up.