Sign in to follow this  
Nikodemus

How many Shadow Markers for Misaki?

As in the title, how many Shadow Markers should I get for Misaki? How many have you guys needed in actual games (I've only played 3e once)?

By my understanding Misaki creates 2 markers start of the turn and removes 1 when she pops out. Ototo can create 1-2, Torakage can create 1 (likely Ototo & Torakage create at most 1 shadow marker per model per turn). So that's a realistic cap of 5-1 markers per turn, assuming I hire Ototo and two Torakage.

When I put it like that I think I might want to play it safe and go for 10 Shadow Markers. Excessive? Not enough?

10 seem to be an ok number, I guess, i will personnaly go for it. Now i just need to get some great ideas on the better way to make those markers :)

I'm thinking about keeping mine fairly 2d since they don't inhibit movement. Thought about doing my usual basing and painting on some thunder/lightning symbol. If Misaki had an "element" that'd be it after all.

Its a while since I tried Misaki, so take this with a large pinch of salt.

I think it will be rare that you go past 5 on the table at any one time. (Although your misaki may last longer than mine does, which will increase the likelihood of you getting beyond 5). This does also depend on your playstyle, and your opponents, on how aggressively you place them, and how much effort they are prepared to use to get rid of them.

So if you're just converting 30mm markers, I'd start with a low number and build more as you play and find you need them. If you're making an order from somewhere and what to ensure you get enough 10 should be plenty. (Its possible to go higher, but you have to be playing in a way that wants that many shadow markers out there).

2 hours ago, Adran said:

So if you're just converting 50mm markers, I'd start with a low number and build more as you play and find you need them. If you're making an order from somewhere and what to ensure you get enough 10 should be plenty. (Its possible to go higher, but you have to be playing in a way that wants that many shadow markers out there).

Shadow markers are 30mm, but otherwise this is pretty good advice. 10 to be absolutely sure, 5-7 is probably safe. 

• Thanks 1

Misaki will create 2 per turn - Ototo will want to make 1 or 2 a game if you have the suit or justify the use of the stones.  This should result in Misaki creating 10 in a game, using 5, and Ototo maybe making another 1-3.  That should leave an upper bound of 8 on the board, if you aren't bringing Minako to use them to create Katashiro.

There are times when 'Unworthy of her Attention' may eat an occasional extra marker, but likely not.  Your opponent, if they are any good, should be threatening or controlling some shadow marker play, or they are giving you board control.

I dont see 10 making it out on the field at once, but strange things can happen.  I would think 10 is safe number, and you can always use other markers (say, flipped upside-down perhaps) once you go beyond.

Realistically I am not finishing a game with more than 5-6 on a field, even in the best of circumstances. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/3/2019 at 1:48 AM, bedjy said:

10 seem to be an ok number, I guess, i will personnaly go for it. Now i just need to get some great ideas on the better way to make those markers :)

I use an exacto knife and a 30/40/50mm base as a template to make markers out of model boxes.  I posted pics here if that helps:  

• Like 1

Played a game yesterday (Misaki, Ototo, 2x Torakage). I didn't go higher than 5-6 at any one time. I might've, if Ototo didn't go down in a blaze of glory. If Torakage hadn't failed so many Ninja Vanishes. I don't see myself fielding 2x Torakage by default once I get comfortable with 3e, just keeping my list building simple for now. Six was pretty easy (though I was focusing on getting them out), I could see getting maybe to eight shadow markers in a game if stars align.

Will still make ten since I started them already:DNever hurts to have a spare.

Anyone got a good image to use for the marker? I usually just make some and print them out and stick on cardboard... (I'm a uni student!)

I think it depends on the game and your play style, I recently played against a friend using reva and didnt have more than 2 on the table. I would say max 5 seeing as they're destructible and once you pop up it goes away. Just my 2 cents

8 out at once in previous game. Ototo and 1x Torakage included in the list. I guess some of it was on my opponent for not getting rid of them. That's two out of three games where I've had more than 5 out. I wouldn't be surprised if the number went down as people get more used to 3e in general and Misaki shenanigans specifically. But for now I'm happy I did 10 markers.