2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

12 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

Painted with colourshift colours over an opaque black primer the model has till a metal aspects expecially in spots where there's light incidence and reflection. guess I need a better way to switch off lighting reflection so to get less "metallized models for the furure..

Matt varnish maybe? Or maybe it will completely kill the effect. Some light washes or glazes perhaps.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nikodemus said:
9 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

Painted with colourshift colours over an opaque black primer the model has till a metal aspects expecially in spots where there's light incidence and reflection. guess I need a better way to switch off lighting reflection so to get less "metallized models for the furure..

Matt varnish maybe? Or maybe it will completely kill the effect. Some light washes or glazes perhaps.

I already used GW matt finishing spray and the model was washed with  black Nurn Oil as I always did in the past using blue shift colours (on the spaceships, for example). Guess I used to much colorshif paint this time in the effort to layer different colourshift shades. :(

I failed.

BUT... not in the way you would think :)
I simply used bit too much varnish so the model is currently shiny. From my experience - the same happend with Iggy - it will be OK in a month or two. I also moved and will have to figure out how to take photos since I no longer have my Poor Man's Lighbox available.

Until I take proper photos, here is a single out of focus, overlit picture of my second - and oh so shiny - Malifaux Rat :)

f1xzZWJ.jpg

• Like 9

On 4/26/2019 at 12:39 PM, Diddick said:

A copperish/“orangier” pan would pop more in the figure too.

That's a great idea, thanks! Copper cookware would never have occurred to me. Good chance to break out these awesome Scale 75 copper paints I picked up a couple of months ago...combined with Franchute's idea for brownish "camo", I think the next BW should have a lot more visual interest.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:13 PM, Stranglelove said:

But it’s supposed to be camouflaged! 

Yeah, but it's Gremlin camouflage...maybe it's last year's camo that's all dried out and gross but "ah cain't hunt without mah lucky headdress!" :P

@NikodemusThat's a nice example of how even a "bog standard" (as you phrased it) freehand, when executed well, can really elevate a model. Kudos. I agree with your assessment of the bird, and 100% understand the allure of the fluorescent paint!

@Stranglelove Don't be too hard on yourself. The eyes are a good size and pointing in the same direction, which is 2/3 of the battle right there. A bit of lining round the outside and you're good to go. Like Nikodemus and Franchute, I paint the eyes first on all of my models. I make the whites as sloppy as I need to, then just overpaint the extra with brown-black and leave a little showing when I do the rest of the face. Also: I like the bit of freehand you've done on her obi. Simple and effective.

@Purple Mist That colorshift paint looks great. I'm wondering how it looks next to standard paint (that cape, for example) on the model when you move the model around. Since the highlights on the cape don't move, is there any kind of weird dissonance between the two materials? Do you find that you have to change your highlighting (more/less contrast, sharper transitions, whatever) to get it to look right? Would love to see that caped model from the back.

2 hours ago, Stranglelove said:

May I ask how you got the subtle rust effect on this and the pork chop? Love it.

When I'm tired and still want to paint something, I paint rusty constucts. :) 

Always the same recipe:

• Prime the mini in brown (here GW Mournfang Brown)
  • Wash of dark brown all over the miniature (here GW Agrax Earthshade)
  • Drybrush of GW Mournfang Brown
  • Drybrush of orange (here GW Blazing Orange)
  • Drybrush of some metalic color (GW leadbelcher)
  • Light of a brighter metalic color (GW ironbreaker and runefang steel)
  • I finally add some brown and orange here and there to get some rust back
  • Thanks 2

My hazardous mushroom terrain ended up being a very last minute rush job on painting and on the terrain. It is functional but not great looking. The mushrooms are on 30 mm bases and are magnetized so that they don't get in the way of models moving.  I do have an excuse for my last-minute-ness this month: during a momentary lapse of reason I decided that three miniature games were not enough to keep me up all night so I bought and starting painting my first WH 40K army.  What the heck was I thinking?  :)

Cheer all.

large.2019April_mushroom_terrain_2.jpg.67c8bedea58254d23d04e9648d253dab.jpglarge.2019April_mushroom_terrain_1.jpg.4aa10e18fd4863ee37ffb8044070217b.jpg

• Like 7

@Caedrus I'm going to have to mulligan!

Thought I'd finally made my peace with The Beast Within and then discovered the ridiculous pointless detail on the soles of his feet stops him sitting properly on his base I'll have to redo that before I finish painting him.

😠

On the other hand I didn't paint Ferdinand Vogel or that building I pledged, so really can't blame this all on the models. 

😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, misterfinn said:

@Purple Mist That colorshift paint looks great. I'm wondering how it looks next to standard paint (that cape, for example) on the model when you move the model around. Since the highlights on the cape don't move, is there any kind of weird dissonance between the two materials? Do you find that you have to change your highlighting (more/less contrast, sharper transitions, whatever) to get it to look right? Would love to see that caped model from the back.

In my opinion the cape, painted with standar colours, create a contrast that put in evidence the armor. I  always try to gain some contrast with my models, for example selecting the right base, with CSPs it was easier to achive it.

My minis for this month, starting with the Star Teather. I built these minis more than a year ago, I was not that good...

I really need to get better at painting faces...

hIdOD2D.jpg

gv0YUXO.jpg

XB0No3L.jpg

vnxekhd.jpg

ZK9QpGF.jpg

XzDZMB5.jpg

Next month I will continue with the stars, the second mannequin & the coryphees!

• Like 6