2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

5 hours ago, muraki said:

Keeping up with the metal month I painted part of the avatar to get an alternate lady J.

Kbl15MA.jpgPGvklUp.jpg

So that puts me up to 60 points for the month, which may end up being my limit (which isn't all that bad point wise at least).

Very nice. Good work.

Are you going to add to that, build-wise? It's supposed to have a couple of things rising from her hands right? All in glorious metal. It seems like one of those models that will break down if you look at it too long, when fully built.

• Agree 2

@lusciousmccabe

"Fudged it up so I'll just do freehand instead":P ...Who am I to judge. Not this month certainly.

I like the blue on blue look you've got going now. Eager to see how you proceed.  Goal is to have it done by this month?

No pics since I'm so close to being done. Manos just needs his skin and magical bird painted up. Should be done tonight:D

@nikodamus no, I'm not going to add any of the stuff coming from her hands (I actually cut off one hand and glued the smoke / fire on top of the other one).  I also used the wings to mod other models.

I did pick up a second one in case I wanted to build her as designed, but I don't see a need for a 50 mm based lady j right now.  Especially since, as you said, the model looks super delicate with all that metal.  Itd prolly be fine but I dont feel like chancing it with my poor metal modeling skills.

23 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

@lusciousmccabe

"Fudged it up so I'll just do freehand instead":P ...Who am I to judge. Not this month certainly.

I like the blue on blue look you've got going now. Eager to see how you proceed.  Goal is to have it done by this month?

No pics since I'm so close to being done. Manos just needs his skin and magical bird painted up. Should be done tonight:D

Hey, it might have been easier to draw on hundreds of tiny thin lines, but a hell of a lot more boring. 😀

I do hope to be done by the end of the month but I'm cutting it pretty fine as I was away for a week. If I can get the coat done shortly that's like 70% of the model and I can be a bit lazier with other details as people will be distracted by the big fricking moon on his back.

You seem to have timed your work better. Looking forward to seeing the hand man completed. 😉

23 minutes ago, muraki said:

@nikodamus no, I'm not going to add any of the stuff coming from her hands (I actually cut off one hand and glued the smoke / fire on top of the other one).  I also used the wings to mod other models.

I did pick up a second one in case I wanted to build her as designed, but I don't see a need for a 50 mm based lady j right now.  Especially since, as you said, the model looks super delicate with all that metal.  Itd prolly be fine but I dont feel like chancing it with my poor metal modeling skills.

For what its worth, my Justice avatar was built when it came out, and hasn't broken yet. There has been only very slight bending of the arms. I haven't transported it all that much though, but it has been stored in foam in all sorts of angles for the past 8(?) years

• Like 1

@nicodemus - I think he looks great. The colours are eye-catching, work well together and are well applied. I actually really like the dark hat with the gold centre giving you a source of contrast but also tying in to other elements.

The bird is a bit sticky-outy, but not that much at first glance as it's balanced by the cherry blossoms. I'd say you could have gotten away with the fluo pink if you'd used on like half the bird and had creams and browns to balance it. On the other hand it's a magical effect, so whether it should get perfectly or not is debatable.

Speaking of magic effects, I think that inside-outside colouring on the bird is a good way to represent it. Gives that powered from within look without messing about with OSL and whatnot.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, misterfinn said:

@Caedrus Claiming Bushwhacker #1 for 6SS.

bushwhacker-1-front.jpgbushwhacker-1-back.jpg

Could use some serious C&C on this, folks. It met all my goals: half the painting time I usually spend, higher contrast, less fiddly about the blends. Trying to differentiate skin, "camo", and base greens was a pain in the ass. There are some things I like and some things I don't. What works? What doesn't? Any places you see where I might be able to cut time, or where a few extra minutes would have made a big difference?

The face is 11/10 🙌

The not blended highlights in the whole figure are spot on, i wish i could nail those as you did.

if i have to say sth i’d say, the shade of green between the skin & leaves is too similar, and makes it a bit repetitive.

and the braid doesn’t pop at all... but don t know how i d fix this, maybe in a lighter background would look better? 

A copperish/“orangier” pan would pop more in the figure too.

anyway, grat job!

So, I have a confession...

I despise painting eyes. I delay doing it. I make mistakes and have to repaint the face. It never looks the way I want it. 

But I know I have to do it because otherwise minis don't look finished. Here's Kirai and Francis: 

xjBaGp9.jpg

Not great, but that's the best I can do without angrily chucking something.

@Caedrus My total for the month is: 57ss 

Thanks!

• Like 9

Interesting colours. Digging the Wardens.

7 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

@Nikodemus, amazing paint job! I'm always impressed by freehand painting, but here you added great details to an already great mini. Congrats.

BTW, I read you made use of  Fluorescent magenta. Do you really need an UV light to see fluorescence?

Magenta Fluo 70.735 from Vallejo Model Colour, they've got a few "fluorescent" paints. I don't know if it's actually fluorescent, I've never checked. I guess you'd need UV to verify. I just like the colours, magenta especially, because it is quite an intense colour. They often photograph a bit badly so I think there's something funky in them.

Believe it or not but Manos' freehand was surprisingly easy. It's not supposed to be "perfect" or symmetrical, which makes for a relatively easy freehand. It's when you're trying to paint Mona Lisa on a banner that things get tricky:PSomething like this, tribal tattoo or primitive warpaint is a fairly easy way to dabble in Freehand.

Yeah you need a sharp tipped brush, well flowing paints and a little skill to apply them, but overall... I didn't highlight it or anything. If you look at an individual part of the freehand, you'll see that it's just a straight brown line, dot of transparent pink at the end, with tiny white dots inside the pink one. Tiny white dots were the hardest, just due to how small I was trying to work. Few times I pressed my brush too hard and got an enormous dot which I had to quickly clean off.

But sharp brushes can be bought, flow improver and/or inks can be bought and skill is a byproduct of painting minis.

If I was doing a larger tabletop force with this pattern I'd consider just doing the brown lines+pink dots. Tiny white dots do make it look better, but they double the time it takes, roughly. "Good enough" at three feet without them.

@Athiko Insane productivity! And looking good while doing it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Nikodemus said:

Magenta Fluo 70.735 from Vallejo Model Colour, they've got a few "fluorescent" paints. I don't know if it's actually fluorescent, I've never checked. I guess you'd need UV to verify. I just like the colours, magenta especially, because it is quite an intense colour. They often photograph a bit badly so I think there's something funky in them.

@Purple Mist you don t really need the UV light to see it, if you use one it might make more of a difference, but the point as nikodemus said is that they are specially bright and intense.

@Nikodemus i use several of vallejo fluor colors, and I find that they have a different viscosity than other paints, and they are really hard to work with... :(  how do you thin them? Bc in my case either they re to thin that i have to give lots of layers to get the color, or i just have so spread an unthined chunk of it to get the desired color 😕

• Thanks 1

Yeah they're bit of a hassle. I use them a fair bit but they're not something I recommend without reservations.

Proper underpainting goes without saying. So I say it :P But for real, I don't thin them too much usually. Little bit to get them flowing. Spread it around a bit and you won't fill detail. I used to thin them more but that way lies madness if you're after opacity. For this particular bird I did thin it more though and made it a wash, since there was quite a bit of sculpted detail on the bird. Besides I knew I wanted to go in with white to highlight so there was no point in getting an even basecoat.

edit: my usual procedure is to do 2-3 slightly thinned coats for even basecoat. Then apply some shadows, highlights, whatnot.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Diddick said:

I use several of vallejo fluor colors, and I find that they have a different viscosity than other paints, and they are really hard to work with... :(  how do you thin them? Bc in my case either they re to thin that i have to give lots of layers to get the color, or i just have so spread an unthined chunk of it to get the desired color 😕

If you leave them on a wet palette with the lid on overnight they tend to take on a consistency more like normal paint, i.e. you can no longer sculpt with them ;)

Otherwise they are annoying to work with, but you can kind of get them to work as a highlight/glaze by basically splodging them on the area you want and scraping off the excess a couple of times. Just make sure you're putting them over white, or something close to it.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Diddick said:

Purple Mist you don t really need the UV light to see it, if you use one it might make more of a difference, but the point as nikodemus said is that they are specially bright and intense.

I bought GreenStuffWorld fluo paint set few times ago. I experimented very few with them.... yes they are bright paint but I was looking for an exasperated fluo effect I could not say, so I put them apart in favour of formula P3 paints that i'm more confident and experienced with.

Here is The Spirit of the Lagoon, my 3rd party model for Poltergeist,  5ss worth                                                                                                                                                                     

IMG-20190427-095511.jpg

IMG-20190427-095347.jpg

First pics is very suggestive but has a terrible focus; the second one is a more representative pics of the model.

Painted with colourshift colours over an opaque black primer the model has till a metal aspects expecially in spots where there's light incidence and reflection. guess I need a better way to switch off lighting reflection so to get less "metallized models for the furure.

For @Caedrus I remember with last minis carries me to 17 ss for the month.

• Like 9