2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

@Purple Mist These wardens look great. Which colour did you use for the metallic parts?

I'm having a debate with my local chat group. I'm claiming that these GSW paints mean the end of NMM. But some disagree with me. Somebody told me that the GSW paints look better in picture than in reality. What are your impressions now that you have used them @Purple Mist @Viruk @Kimberly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Nikodemus I find the scale issue hard to forget about when I look at all the details which have been directly upscaled from Vogel and weird flat edges on the cloth and fur.

Model also has some serious gap issues and seam lines running through detail that somewhat killed my enthusiasm.

As a playing piece it's actually fine though. Not too much base overhang or spindly fragile bits.

3 hours ago, Franchute said:

@Purple Mist These wardens look great. Which colour did you use for the metallic parts?

I'm having a debate with my local chat group. I'm claiming that these GSW paints mean the end of NMM. But some disagree with me. Somebody told me that the GSW paints look better in picture than in reality. What are your impressions now that you have used them @Purple Mist @Viruk @Kimberly?

I think GSW Shifting colours are very effective and look great in reality before than in pictures. Yes, with photos you can select the best pic to post and can optimize lighting conditions. In reality you see models shifting their shade live as you change your point of view, and that simply great. Using GSW Gloss black primer you exalt the metallic effect, to the point it can be too strong; that not a problem you can using washes to modulate shining. It's very interesting the result got by @Kimberly using a non glossy primer: colours looks more soft and less metallic but they keep their colour shifting property. That's interesting because it denmostrates you can use those colours to paint non metallic surfaces as a demon skin rather than a wizard robe. Of course on this last consideration of mine @Kimberly has the last word because she could see the effect live. As regard @Viruk he's so advanced in painting tecnique I cannot say when he got an effect with GSW paint rather then using traditional colors.

20 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

I think GSW Shifting colours are very effective and look great in reality before than in pictures. Yes, with photos you can select the best pic to post and can optimize lighting conditions. In reality you see models shifting their shade live as you change your point of view, and that simply great. Using GSW Gloss black primer you exalt the metallic effect, to the point it can be too strong; that not a problem you can using washes to modulate shining. It's very interesting the result got by @Kimberly using a non glossy primer: colours looks more soft and less metallic but they keep their colour shifting property. That's interesting because it denmostrates you can use those colours to paint non metallic surfaces as a demon skin rather than a wizard robe. Of course on this last consideration of mine @Kimberly has the last word because she could see the effect live. As regard @Viruk he's so advanced in painting tecnique I cannot say when he got an effect with GSW paint rather then using traditional colors.

I gotta say, I think they are far prettier in person than in photographs because you can see the shift in action. I liked that the matte primer gave it a "softer" shift so to speak. It shifted smoothly but was definitely not metallic looking. I can't agree with @Franchute's claim about it doing away with NMM, because the effect looks completely different to me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Cool to see that we’re just on April 2nd and there s already finished stuff! 👏👏👏

I finally made my mind and will work on the Necropunks (not sure how many SS are they in m3e...).

OCxE3VS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

my plan is to paint the 3 of them in 3 different styles and get some of the “cards” from the “wyrd deck of painting achievements” ;)

• Like 4

@Kimberly words are very tempting to try GSW shifting colors on non metallic models. My only regret if that at presen time I have none assembled ready for painting. Guess I'll have to postpone it all no next month. :(

As regard @Franchute quesit I have to add that GSW shifting colors are easily managed with airbrusher. You have just to spray 3 thin layers to get you work done. Past month I used also one GSW shifting color hand brush. It was quite difficult to dose the layer, expecially on small surfaces.

12 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

Somebody told me that the GSW paints look better in picture than in reality. What are your impressions now that you have used them

I think they actually look better IRL as light reflects on the surface and causes different color to be the focal point as you move them. I've used them also while working on Guild Ball commission so you can see a few more examples here http://www.whatthefaux.net/2018/12/guild-ball-blacksmiths-guild.html

Celestial Azure was the color I've used for their blue armor.

• Like 1

So, I´m currently running a crew box escalation league at my local club which runs until the end of the month. So hopefully I'll be able to finish Kirai, Lost Love/Francis Kitchener, another Onryo and another Seishin for this challenge this month.

• Like 2

I'll post up pictures in a bit, but for my pledge for the month I'll be working on my Shenlong crew. The goal: at least one of each monk keyworded model! (minus Fermented, Peasent and Sensei Yu)

Altogether :

• Shenlong (15ss)
  • Thunder Archer (6ss)
  • High River Monk (5ss)
  • Low River Monk (4ss)
  • Wandering River Monk (7ss)
  • Lotus Eater (6ss)
  • Charm Warder (5ss)
  • Tanuki (bonus model! 5ss)

Total points is 53ss. As a personal goal I'm also going to try and paint a bit better than table top. Going to try some new techniques, like free hand tattoos for Shenlong and the Lotus Eaters for example.

• Like 7

Hello, I know I have not yet completed my predged stuff for the month but I wonna add this model to my pledge:

IMG-20190404-150014.jpg

It's a white metal model from Godslayer range I will paint as any one of the many ghost model we have in Malifaux: Graveyard Spirit?; Poltergeist?..... I'll decide about its identity at the time I'll have to base it.

• Like 6

A quick update: the doves, Medi-Bot, and Mouse are done in time for tomorrow's tourney, and I managed to repaint my gunsmith as well (though I'm not claiming that as I didn't have a before picture posted. Mentioning more as "this distracted me from the Captain".

The latter three are still a touch rough and I will get to clean up their bases at least before tomorrow, but had time to take the picture now, so here they are!

large.20190405_103430.jpg.b443d8aaff45fa158b80c60460da4caf.jpglarge.20190405_102909.jpg.7cba1e06af086f792bfe0036eccf44ef.jpg

By M3E reckoning, the doves are each 1ss, Mouse and the Medi-Bot are each 4ss, so with base cleanup I'm at 11ss for the month so far.

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

Guess basing those models was not so easy....... Very nice bases! 

Yeah, I needed to fit the one standing on the rock into the resin base and remove the whole rock part for the other one to fit him onto the forest themed rocky base + sculpted around with GS.

They should be ready in a day or two though :)