2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - April

Caedrus

Hello

I did some quick drybrush on the peacekeeper to have a rusty base to work with:

8-AAA771-B-CF2-A-49-C9-9-E02-2-E05854254

Given that this contains mostly oranges and that I'll probably do a swamp base (greens), I'm wondering if I should complete it with some purple instead of the hazard stripes (thanks @nicodemus for letting me know about the terms). What do you guys think?

I had a look at @Viruk's peacekeeper---which is very cool by the way. An option could be to do something similar with purple instead of red, some rust and a swamp base:

http://www.whatthefaux.net/2016/01/peacekeeper.html?m=1

• Like 7

Was just looking at @Burnin' Coal's painting routine in the March thread and it got me wondering, what do you guys listen to while painting, or do you paint with nothing but silence and the tinkle of the brush in the water pot?

I listen to podcasts mostly these days such as Last Podcast on the Left, Lore, Astonishing legends sometimes Schemes n Stones or Breachside Broardcast

Music wise it's nearly always Iron Maiden or on occasion when I'm tired and need motivation the Rocky 4 soundtrack

I also have what I call trash watches which are series I'm not really into but make good background as you only have to look up when the dramatic music starts - like Salem, Shadow Hunters, the 100 and - here comes the shame... Baywatch remastered

• Like 1

I like to listen to audiobooks :) I, robot by Isaac Asimov was the last one (really enjoyed it) and currently I am listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Not a potterhead, but they are very well narated by Stephen Fry :)
If I am watching a video it is usually a gaming stream or a let's play video on YouTube. Sometimes painting tutorial. Not to learn though, just a background.

• Like 1

Like @Phinn, I typically listen to audiobooks. Some of the recent ones I've listened to were: Little Fires Everywhere, The Fisherman, The Break Down, The Neuroscience of Mindfulness, Always Look on the Bright Side of Life by Eric Idle. I also listen to ESCP's interviews and studio talks on NBA as I've been following the league for years now. 

• Like 1

My  choice of music follows a very similar pattern to my painting process and I invariably end up putting down whatever I'm working on to go look at a record sleeve of whatever I'm listening to....and that makes me wonder about a musician or artist...and then I hit the 'net to find out and discover someone completely new...then have to know all about them and probably buy record as well if I can find it on sale....and all the while there's an unpainted model going "...but ?...but ?...but ?..."

Sometimes however...when I know I'm really going to go for it I've got playlists I put together on my iPod...headphones on and no stopping...no breaks...until I suddenly wonder if dolphins have ears and need to look it up on the 'net

Sounds....Jazz, early R'n'B, Blues and Soul

• Like 1

Occasionally painting videos as background noise. Dr. Faust in particular has a pleasant softness in how he talks. Vince Venturella if I want to pretend I'm listening and learning something.

Often music. Lately it's been metal focused. Very lately there's been a lot of Battle Beast and Beast in Black. So much so that I bought a mini inspired by their album artwork and started watching Berserk (both bands' chief source of lyrics) with the wife:D

In other news I finished Tengu's base and made some decisions on the colour scheme. But more on that when I have pictures.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Viruk said:

Had a productive day/night and here are first two minis for April's pledge for a total of 16ss

Great painting job and 16ss just after one day! Congrats!

On my own, I have till to touch brushes this month..... On the other way, I realized something that should be worth a lot of ss: I put order on my painting table! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Viruk great brushwork as always - very subtle choice of palette that makes two static poses look threatening....a question I have asked before but need to ask again.....are you sure there aren't seventy hours in a day where you are ? (We only get twenty four) I can never get my head 'round how fast you work

@Franchute - excellent use of the colour wheel 😉 very fine looking model already

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

With April fool's day over here's my actual pledge. Ferdinand Vogel and his ~52 mm werewolf counterpart. Think it's the worst Malifaux model I've seen this far, which is a shame as it's a cool concept. However, the painting desk cares not and at least there's a chance I might actually be able to paint some of the fur on it.

pNlbxZGl.jpg

Stretch goal is this building!

DjG04BAl.jpg

• Like 8

@Franchute - love the look of yellow armor plates on your Peacekeeper. Smooth highlights on yelow and top notch brushwork on weathering. Really looking forward to seeing this one painted! You've made a great start and should be able to finish this month's pledge without too much effort ;)

@Burnin' Coal - thanks for the comment, appreciate it. Truth be told, this time I had it easy as the colorshift paint saved me a lot of time. That being said, I got "into the zone" while painting these models and when this happens I don't even notice when time passes. Next mini (Sabretooth Cerberus) will defiintely take more time - bigger model and more work on highlighting the fur.

@lusciousmccabe - I actully like these models and will probably be painting them in near future. My opinion may change when I start working on them though ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@lusciousmccabe is that opinion based on the sculpting/casting quality itself or just the perceived scale of it? I'm quite excited about getting my hands on the big bad wolf before the year is through. For reference I think Jorogumo look pretty awesome as stand alone models. I think they're really stupid as Malifaux playing pieces. They look like they should be on quite a bit bigger base and it's just dumb that they're the size they are and still only 50mm.

@Athiko the result is pretty nice indeed. I dont listen to anything while I paint by the way ☹️ I used to. I even had stupid routines like @Burnin' Coal's (the routine, not you Ed 😉). But, with the kids now, I need to wait for windows of opportunity. Sometimes my painting sessions last for 10 minutes. I cannot spend time setting up each time, otherwise I would clearly never paint. It's funny because I hadnt realized it was like this for me now until I read your posts. I felt identified when I read your experiences. Then I realized how many painting sessions I had yesterday...

@Viruk I love the armour on your samurais, especially the guy on the left. Is this NMM? Or did you use @Purple Mist's paint?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Franchute said:

...I wish I had results like yours 😉

You do....every month....and every month is a victory for all of us here which is why I've come to enjoy it so much...every month is another piece of grey plastic given life in colour....every month another quest for personal achievement and learning....

....unless I'm accidentally watching someone on YouTube fitting a jet engine to a bicycle 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Caedrus Jumping on the gremlin bandwagon with this little lady for 6 SS:

IMG-903267.jpg

My goal for this month is to start picking up my painting speed so I can actually get this Mah crew on the table in a reasonable timeframe. More dramatic highlights, less fussy about the blends.

@Franchute Weathering looks great! It's just the right amount of beat-up. That's a nice bright yellow, too - very old-school Orky!

@Athiko My painting soundtrack is mostly extreme metal (black/death/doom/thrash), with occasional forays into 80s goth/industrial. I'll do a podcast now and again but I find it very difficult to split my attention in that way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pink-black-blue-turquoise... That's the current idea for my Tengu. Who knows what I'll end up with after highlights and shadows. Pics when I've got more than just basecoats.

5 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

My goal for this month is to start picking up my painting speed so I can actually get this Mah crew on the table in a reasonable timeframe. More dramatic highlights, less fussy about the blends.

Eager to see what you'll cook up with that mindset.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

Yes, that's my goal as well, but I'll have to fight my perfectionism every step of the way 😁

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

I love the armour on your samurais, especially the guy on the left. Is this NMM?

Red Goblin from colorshift set by Greenstuffworld (the paint can be bought separately). I only added a little black ink in the recesses and lightly touched up the edges with bright silver.

• Like 1

Having a couple of hours to spend after painting I played a bit with washes.

My priority is always to finish the ships for my starfleet: you can she then in background.

IMG-20190402-155851.jpg

Anyway I got some time to experiment with washes over colourshift metal paints.

IMG-20190402-155904.jpg

I'm happy with the result: I reproduced the acid green shade we see in many Malifaux box illustrations.

• Like 7