Thoughts from the design team behind the art and sculpts wanted

With Proken Promises there was a shift in the generaI design of the artwork IMO. And with the newer previews I there's a shift in the design too.

I'm mostly a display painter and therefore very interested in all aspects of miniature art. And I'm a gamer too and love inside views of the company and its thoughts about the game. In addition to that I'm not sure how much I like the IMO new style, but maybe I can get easier used to it when I know the ideas behind the new design. I would soo much like to be taken on the journey.

So my question is: are there interwies with the design team about Wyrds art or other sources? If not, why not let some of your artist give interviews to some of the podcasts out there?

So what I'm intereseted in:

• was there a shift in miniature design
  • if so, why? What is the goal?
  • and even if not: what are thoughts behind all the design*?

*) One thing I'm always wondering is why Wyrd's miniatures are so much fun to paint. I paint miniatures from different companies but Wyrds miniatures are especially much fun. And I'm always wondering but cannot put my finger on it why. So any insight would be very much appreciated.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 12:57 PM, Butch said:

*) One thing I'm always wondering is why Wyrd's miniatures are so much fun to paint. I paint miniatures from different companies but Wyrds miniatures are especially much fun. And I'm always wondering but cannot put my finger on it why. So any insight would be very much appreciated. 

I enjoy painting M2E minis because they are very dynamic and highly readable. (I don't have to spend my time figuring out what I am painting as I have to do for other ranges).

They don't have the mass of accessories, trinkets... that pollute the readability of the mini sculpts from other ranges (especially PP).

The design is simple yet elegant and the lights and shadows + focus points of each miniature come naturally to the painter. Wide surfaces allow for very smootth brush movements & blending (However, they require a bit of skill to paint because of those wide surfaces).

The scale is also quite nice overall as the minis are not as bulky as some other miniature ranges.

Wyrd M2E minis were the most enjoyable painting experience I have had during my 25 years as a hobbyist. For that I am gratefull to the artistic team of pre-Wave 5 Malifaux.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I personally am less on the hobbyist and more on the gamer side.  I'm not very good at building and painting, and I don't really find them enjoyable, so they're mostly just barriers to overcome.  I do appreciate the detailing on Malifaux models, but I wish they were a little less engineered so there were fewer parts.

• 3 months later...

The part I genuinely enjoy best is the assembly. MFX minis are super nice to clean and put together so I use to do it to unwind after work. The painting... eh. More of a way to get good-looking models than an actually enjoyable thing on its own.

And as much as I hated the M2e bland and monotonous color scheme design, I respect it because it can be used quickly to get decent effect.