Waldo's Weekly - We're Gonna Need a Bigger Bookshelf

Kyle

2 minutes ago, retnab said:

From the M3e reveal page:

• An Accessible Rules Manual: M3E's rules and stat cards will be released online for free at release. The rules and stat cards will also be translated in seven languages at release as well: English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, and Spanish. 

Yeah I lurked in the forum and found Kyle repeating that. Sorry I should have looked it over before posting.

But what about these new books? ;)

As long as the books aren't super expensive or we don't have to wait long for a sweet ebook bundle, I think this is a great idea.

Having everything in 1 book would be way too big with art, fluff and card. Especially since the cards and rules will all be free anyway. 

I'll probably try my hardest to wait for the bundle as I'm a povvo student and want to save some trees (and space!). Hope my willpower is strong enough! 

• Agree 1

Total cost for the whole set of 7 would still be about $315. After paying $45 for the half book that was Broken Promises, seeing how many total models are per factions, add in stories for each master within a faction,  and if there is going be to a encounter per master also, that adds up to be a pretty heavy book. That said, I would love to buy a book that talks all about the Resurrectionist and all the models instead of paying for book and getting only a small part of say book dealing with Resurrectionist. I don't have much hope for dual faction masters being in both books, that didn't happen in the arsenal decks, can't see it here. 

Dual factions were new then. Maybe the duplication of their cards has been re-thought since then.

(Oh yeah, keep forgetting I have a stake in dual factions now...)

I wouldn’t mind copy-pasted description blurbs in both books of the dual faction but faction-thematic fluff in story and scattered snippets of...there’s to got to be a technical term for the flavor text which isn’t part of descriptions, such as “Attention Humans”.

On the other hand, what about models like the necropunk which are single-faction but with a keyword in a different faction? Do they appear in the Outcast book also because of Outcast keyword or does the Leveticus player with only the Outcast book have to find out about that scheme runner from another source?

• Agree 1

The fluff part needs to be really good for me to buy these books. I remember Games Workshops army book where the fluff was a joke. You had pictures of nicely painted minis, but that was basically it. I am really looking forward to more depth into Malifaux lore.

I will probably start by buying the Arcanist and Guild books. If I like them I'll go on with the rest of the books (ressurs, outcast etc... Gremlins)

19 minutes ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Dual masters will show up in both books, as well as Faction Decks. Dead Mans Hand models will be available via Faction Decks as well as downloadable online. 

And no, most of yall who have been tossing out prices are still considerably off. Yes, eventually they will all become available as PDF books. 

Only the core rulebook and stat cards are being translated. Fluff and the like is not. If you're concerned about the translations, take a look at the free TOS rules/translations and go from there. We learned our lessons there and worked with professionals instead of enthusiasts or quite bluntly, folks talking out their asses and not delivering. :)

For those hoppin' and hollerin' about the number of books and being forced to purchase and that this is an outright money grab - well, you are entitled to your opinion of course. That being said, the rules, and cards, in multiple languages, are going to be available 100% free. You don't need to spend a dime in the least if you don't wish in order to transition to M3E. Lastly, if we had crammed everything into one book, that would have been spendy - not to mention heavy enough to bludgeon someone to death with. 

Thank you for clarifying, Nathan! I'm excited to see all the new books and fluff.

One question: can you confirm wether or not there will be a small rules-only rulebook again, like there was for M2E? That small rulebook was seriously the best thing ever. Much easier and feels much better to flip through a small book than try and find a rule in a PDF on your phone during a game.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

I'll see what we can do. I'm still up to my eyeballs in finishing these books - but yeah - shouldn't be difficult. 

excellent, best play aid from 2e. If you have time see if we can get a small ToS rulebook too. have the main one but would pay extra for that

• Agree 3

On 3/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Nathan Caroland said:

Hah .... no. They aren't all going to be gold gilded lay flat hard-back books. Doesn't even get close to that price. 

That’s good to hear. Ideally, they’ll be cheap graphic novel sized books so I can justify buying all of them for the fluff even though I only play a single faction.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, WWHSD said:

That’s good to hear. Ideally, they’ll be cheap graphic novel sized books so I can justify buying all of them for the fluff even though I only play a single faction.

I would also bear in mind that because all the rules and cards will be available for free, there's no need to get all the books in one go, so spreading the cost over a few months is a perfectly reasonable way to manage the cost.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I suspect they'll be a bit bigger, so that each Master can have their own short fiction attached and maybe a breakdown of the Faction as a whole like in The Other Side rulebook. 

17 hours ago, LordZombie said:

Since dual masters will be in each faction book, we will finally get to see (hopefully) what the masters are like when they are part of the other faction. 

It would make sense. Each book having stories about that factions internal interactions. I don't think I've read a story where Hoffman interacts with any other Guild Master, for example (I am way, way behind though, so it might have happened!). That would be nice.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:09 AM, Nathan Caroland said:

Dual masters will show up in both books, as well as Faction Decks. Dead Mans Hand models will be available via Faction Decks as well as downloadable online. 

For further clarification, what is happening with OOF models that are part of keywords with regards to Faction Decks and books? For example, the Wanyudo and Revenants or the Necropunk and Amalgam.

I doubt they will be part of Faction Decks but am wondering if they will be part of the Books.

33 minutes ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

For further clarification, what is happening with OOF models that are part of keywords with regards to Faction Decks and books? For example, the Wanyudo and Revenants or the Necropunk and Amalgam.

I doubt they will be part of Faction Decks but am wondering if they will be part of the Books.

I'd say it's more likely they would be in faction decks than books. That would allow people to buy a faction deck and play, without the book, which seems to be how the launch is being handled: the books being optional.

But realistically, I think each book will have only the profiles with that factions affiliation. Duplicating pages for Masters I can understand, but random minions? Seems like a waste of space to me.

12 minutes ago, theamazingmrg said:

I'd say it's more likely they would be in faction decks than books. That would allow people to buy a faction deck and play, without the book, which seems to be how the launch is being handled: the books being optional.

But realistically, I think each book will have only the profiles with that factions affiliation. Duplicating pages for Masters I can understand, but random minions? Seems like a waste of space to me.

I can see that.

I’m hoping that in each Master’s section of the Books (assuming that each Master has a section) they have a compendium or something showing all their Keyword hires available at launch. Each Book would also hopefully include directions to model stats online.

1 hour ago, TheJoyInGaming said:

I can see that.

I’m hoping that in each Master’s section of the Books (assuming that each Master has a section) they have a compendium or something showing all their Keyword hires available at launch. Each Book would also hopefully include directions to model stats online.

Yeah, a list of Keyword models by faction would be really helpful, even if they don't include the profiles or descriptions.

• Agree 1