Devouring eels

katadder

Now everybody has had a rant about rhinos but nobody mentions devouring eels.

Whilst they may not be as damaging as a rhino (unless you are a titan) they are impossible to kill scheme runners. Easily turned into spd8, df8 so hard enough to hit as it is then they have the ability that if you do hit them they discard a reinforcement token and reduce all damage to 0, which should surely be by 1. And if you do get through all that they usually run toughness as well.

You cant even tie them up as they just walk away and discard a reinforce token to take the hit, and if they are short of them then 1 model (not fireteam) kill gives them extra.

So what are peoples opinions on these?

(And dont even get started on egg clusters in set traps being summoned in the 2 far corners of my own dz)

Haven't faced the damn things yet, but theory dictates they will probably be super annoying. At least removing tokens from them is a bit more doable simply because there is a lot more stuff to remove reinforcement tokens from enemy models than Shaken, but their defensive stats are absolutely bonkers.

Frankly, I get the impression that Toughness was a last minute asset added to the game, since the Rhino and Eel are way too damn hardy when they can get Toughness on top, the Artillery team is a 3 model fireteam and the Marauder us so stupedly mobile it shouldn't be exposed till necessary.

If Toughness did not exist I could sort of see why these models would need such extreme defensive measures... But yeah, anyway, back on topic, Eels seem pretty nasty but are not the thing that worries me the most as a King's Empire model since we have a lot of token stripping and pinned.

1 hour ago, JayseN said:

I've only used them in two games, both of which had them dying with a little  focus from my opponent and a little token stripping.

Focusing on another 3.5 scrip model?

What do they focus with as you have to hit them 1st which is difficult enough, then get through or strip the tokens and then get through toughness?

Played against them first time this weekend and they often had 3 or 4 reinforcements tokens on and just hit something if they wanted more.

Admittedly it was 1 commander game and there were 2 of them but even in 2 commander it would take alot of focus and good cards to eat through all they have. 

7 hours ago, Razhem said:

Frankly, I get the impression that Toughness was a last minute asset added to the game, since the Rhino and Eel are way too damn hardy when they can get Toughness on top, the Artillery team is a 3 model fireteam and the Marauder us so stupedly mobile it shouldn't be exposed till necessary.

If Toughness did not exist I could sort of see why these models would need such extreme defensive measures... But yeah, anyway, back on topic, Eels seem pretty nasty but are not the thing that worries me the most as a King's Empire model since we have a lot of token stripping and pinned.

I do think I toughness needs to exist for current earthside factions as their 2 and 3 scrip models would die to a stiff wind. However malifaux side factions currently just put it on the rhino or eel, which are insanely tough as it is anyway even without that

1 hour ago, katadder said:

I do think I toughness needs to exist for current earthside factions as their 2 and 3 scrip models would die to a stiff wind. However malifaux side factions currently just put it on the rhino or eel, which are insanely tough as it is anyway even without that

That's kind of why I get the impression that it was a last minute thing that was added and things were not compensated for it.

If I remember correctly, there was some switching around which units could have assets and which not. But not sure. If I could not use Toughness on the Marauder, I would never play it, ever. One hit and it is gone...

On the eel: I have played it and found it annoying. It hits quite ok for its points, and is stupidly survivable with Df8 and it's token mechanic. You really have to focus on one to kill it, and you cannot ignore them, as they would just multiply. Never got the schemer angle, but that seems just as bad.

Easiest fix imho would be to change the Reinforcement token mechanic to reduce by 1, not to 0. That should be enough, I think, as then when you manage to hit it, you can strip multiple tokens.

• Agree 1

Eels alone are not a BIG problem. But Eels plus healing frenzy are. In following combination:

- Frenzy with healing magic and positive flips:

- 3x eels for 2 Commander game

Each eel start gamę with 1 reinforce. Then healing frenzy cast on each of them healing magic. Due to positive flips on each action there is very high chance that this will result in 4-5 reinforce tokens. So horde player end with 1-2 eels with 3 tokens and rest with 2 - they can make focused effort for third token. Get to glory by eating something (they Will return next turn for 1 tactics). Multiply 3 eels to 6 in turn 1.in turn two 6 become 9. And so on... 

Last game i played my opponent mercifully ended with only 6 eels. 

Healing frenzy alone is broken. But healing frenzy + eels is a game breaker. 

• Agree 1