Kharnage

A Plea for my Lost Boi Barbaros

Can he please have Combat Finesse? Right now, he serves no purpose, and goes down like a sack of potatoes. He's an aggro tank in theory, but sadly minus the tank part. He's just, a df 5 armor 1 chew toy with unimpressive damage for 9 stones. You blow stones to stop damage, wondering all the while if it's worth it. He has a df trigger he will struggle to get off, and challenge action is met with a "well whatever." Combat Finesse changes all of that, in a Nephilim way, and my boy might actually see play. He can save that high crow for a cool dodge, and being forced to attack him actually means something. 

Thoughts? Too much? Just right? Any feedback, negative or positive, is welcome. 

• Agree 2

just assembled my alt barbaros, but haven't played him yet. I never thought he stood out as a clear take, so I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had success with him and in what missions/crews?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kolath said:

just assembled my alt barbaros, but haven't played him yet. I never thought he stood out as a clear take, so I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had success with him and in what missions/crews?

His stats used to be bonkers in closed Beta, then he got toned down, and I don't remember seeing a battle report with him  after that.

Most keywords already have a tank of some sort that synergizes better. I always consider him with Parker but, although the Wokou Raider isn't as tanky, it's benefitting a lot more from crew synergies.

Sometimes I consider him with Jack, but If I spend that much out of keyword I'm taking the Emissary to patch the healing and movement issues of the crew or Hans for the auto-crows for staggered on his shots (which ends up becoming a longer range Crooked Man).

With Tara I don't have a reason to reach for him with The Nothing Beast and Talos in keyword.

On paper he still really looks great even after his CB nerf, with lots of damage potential from cage figther and black blood. Really good attack too.

I think it's just too hard to give him a home in an edition based on keywords and where scoring is really tight. 

Giving him Combat Finesse though would create a situation that's really bad (resource-wise) for the opponent no matter what. Flip high and do mitigated damage ( armor/regeneration/stones) and take black blood damage, or flip low and not have the chance to cheat, thus wasting an action. That's not even considering the threat of cage fighter damage.

I wouldn't mind Trail of Gore/Dark Bargain (Which I believe we don't have in faction) on him to add at least some sort of scoring/denial power. Even then, I struggle finding a scenario where Barbaros is adding something to my crew that my own keyword isn't.

• Thanks 1

2/4/5 on stat 6 with a built in trigger that can let you get up to 4 attacks per activation is not unimpressive to me.

He's a better tank than anything in mercenary

• Respectfully Disagree 2

What about as a leader? He actually opens up a pretty significant hiring pool of Neverborn models?

Plus with Hayreddin you could gain some summoning as well. Man... There might be something here.

Other than giving the terrifying they lost back to Mature Nephilim with access to servant of dark powers (and the other outcasts upgrades I guess), he doesn't do anything that hiring Lilith doesn't already do. And that's the worst part to me honestly; his own master in my experience doesn't care to use him in comparison to just taking a mature for one more stone. They have better damage, better triggers for that damage, combat finesse, flight, size 3 fly with me, and more healing for themselves, while synergizing with growth, at all. They lose out on challenge, a WP, stone use, and an armor. And that's his "native" crew in Lilith. If they can't find the use for him, who will?

I ran him once with Zipp. He ended up in a situation where he couldn't push out due to terrain so he didn't contribute much but he did tank Shen Long for 3 turns. 

I want to try him with Parker. Bandit Raid can get him where he needs to be. Coupled with Parker and Pride it could add up to a lot of card discard for the opponent. 

I take him with Viks, but he may have some synergy with Freikorps, too. 

He could benefit from something like "I've got your back" or Flight.

30 minutes ago, Ming said:

I take him with Viks, but he may have some synergy with Freikorps, too. 

He could benefit from something like "I've got your back" or Flight.

Flight would help him in game a lot as it makes his trigger much more useful, although fluff wise I don't think his wings work anymore. Maybe the Friegkorps fixed him up?? 😁😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, S4lt said:

Flight would help him in game a lot as it makes his trigger much more useful, although fluff wise I don't think his wings work anymore. Maybe the Friegkorps fixed him up?? 😁😁

I was wondering about that! what exactly happened to his wings?

were they clipped during his pit fighter days?

11 minutes ago, ebolazaire said:

I was wondering about that! what exactly happened to his wings?

were they clipped during his pit fighter days?

I seem to remember it was a Chronicles story from about 3 years ago. The art for the Pit fighter Doctor was that for the alternative McMorning, (Dufresne) before she was a model.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kharnage said:

he doesn't do anything that hiring Lilith doesn't already do.

Well...but you can't hire Lilith in outcasts. 

1 hour ago, Kolath said:

Well...but you can't hire Lilith in outcasts. 

That uh, was what first part of the sentence acknowledged. The whole bit about servant of dark powers and outcast upgrades. 

Anyway, he needs something, that's for sure, I just don't know what, if people don't like the combat finesse idea then... sudden strike on bring it? Or his old Df6/Wp7? Swift action trigger on challenge? I still say combat finesse.

• Haha 1

Personally i think he was fine in closed beta, he seemed pretty average for his cost thanks to hsi so-so offense but awesome defense. Now he is just a bit lacking.

• Agree 1