mythicFOX

Relenting to simple duels

It's an issue I've had since M2e;  I don't understand why I can relent to my mate shooting me, but not his grenade.   Why can you only relent in an opposed duel?

I can't see a mechanical reason it would cause an issue that relenting to and opposed duel wouldn't.

What do people think?

• Agree 1

Because in a simple duel, if you got the same value, like when you relent, you would actually pass the duel. Remember, on simple duels, you have to fail(get less than the TN) not get equal to.

40 minutes ago, mythicFOX said:

It's an issue I've had since M2e;  I don't understand why I can relent to my mate shooting me, but not his grenade.   Why can you only relent in an opposed duel?

I can't see a mechanical reason it would cause an issue that relenting to and opposed duel wouldn't.

Can you like to explain what you mean by "relenting" the Shockwave?  Mechanically, what do you expect to have happen?

Since those mechanics won't be the same as the mechanics for opposed duels, why should the game include them?

I'm strongly in favor of letting models relent to insta-fail simple duels caused by friendly models. There are numerous effects (most notably Wong) where this would definitely speed the game up. However, every time I've brought it up here and in CB it's been shot down without support, so here's hoping?

• Agree 2

There are a number of cases where you want the effects of a shockwave (or other pulse with a simple duel attached) to hit your own models. Examples below.  

They should be included for the same reason that relenting to opposed duels is included.  It's quicker than generating multiple duels a player has to resolve solo. 

Snow Storm

Ice Tornado z8" 6 * 12
Shockwave 2, Mv 13, Damage 2. When resolving, friendly December models may ignore the effects of this Action and instead Push up to 3" in any direction.

Fire Golem

Flame Tornado z8" 6 * 12
Shockwave 2, Mv 13, Damage 2 and Burning +2. If a model with Flameborne would suffer damage from this Action, it instead gains Burning with a value equal to the damage it would have suffered.

• Agree 1

The only argument I can see against is that a couple of models might need tweaking/checking to make sure that (for example) that much consistent Burning application doesn't make the Kaeris' set-up too reliable.

And Savage can choose how far they want to mill through their deck in order to leave a useful card on top for Old Ways-ing.

Not big issues.

I agree that it makes sense for friendly models to be able to relent a simple duel. Or at least in the above examples, those models that benefit from them should be able to choose to fail. For example

Fire Golem's Flame Tornado - Models with Flameborne may choose to fail this simple duel and instead of suffering damage gain Burning with a value equal to the damage it would have suffered.