Scoffer

Relenting model's final duel total

Rulebook p.10:

If two friendly models are in an opposed duel, the resisting model may choose to relent before any cards are flipped. If it does, the relenting model (but not the acting model) skips Steps “A” through “D” below. The relenting model’s final duel total is treated as being the same as the acting model’s final duel total.

Same page, "Step D: Determine Final Duel Total":

Players then add their stat, the value and suit of the card in the Conflict, and any additional suits or modifiers together to determine their final duel total.

If I'm reading it right, Final Duel Total=stat+card value+card suit+additional suits+value modifiers. It means, that relenting model's final duel total is the same as attacker's with all suits.

As there is no restriction, relenting model can declare triggers and benefit from built-in suits of attacker (or low cards from hand). 

For example I can attack my Whitchling Handler with my Whitchling Stalker's Dispel Magic, relent and cheat a 1r for attack. Final duel total for both attacker and defender is 6r. Attack fails but Handler can declare On My Orders to push a friendly Witchling 4" towards Stalker.

I don't think it is bad for the game (in fact I think it brings some cool opportunities), but want to make sure that this was intended. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I think you've just pointed out a mystake and "D" should be replaced by "F" for the relenting model.
Since the last time I've read about relenting, itwas said the defending model could not declare trigger.

This is also potentially very relevant for Self loathing. (In particular casting it on a Zoraida to get the ensorcelled trigger).

If its not intended can use the M2E wording which added..." not including suits"

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I noticed this change in the rule book shortly after it happened. Submitted a few feedback forms on it.. and nothing's changed. At this point I figure it's intentional to let friendlies declare triggers when relenting.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I noticed this change in the rule book shortly after it happened. Submitted a few feedback forms on it.. and nothing's changed. At this point I figure it's intentional to let friendlies declare triggers when relenting.

I think it came up in Closed as well. Still not sure if it's intentional or not. If the Relenting model shouldn't be able to declare Triggers, it's an easy fix to have them skip that step. If they can declare triggers it could open up some interesting or possibly very strong interactions down the line. I'm not sure if it's a problem or not? 

• Agree 1