Starting Lady Justice in 3rd Edition

foxicious

Hello fellow guild members,

I am planning to start with Malifaux and with the new edition right around the corner it seems to be a great time for doing so. After a pretty tough selection process, I chose Lady Justice as my starting master, because I like the lore and aesthetics of hers and the marshal keyword group the most. With the seemingly hardest decision out of the way, that still leaves me with some questions. I hope that some of you seasoned guild veterans might help me out here 😉.

1. Is Lady Justice a good starting point for M3E? In beta reports and discussions I’ve read everything from “she is underwhelming” to “she is OP”. These statements have probably been made by different people and at different points during the beta, but what is the general opinion on LJ now that the rules seem to be mostly finalized?

2. How do the marshals perform for different strategies and schemes in M3E? For example, they seem to have no way of creating/manipulating scheme markers except the interact action. Since schemes generally revolve around scheme markers, this might be a problem, right?

3. What would be a good versatile starting list for LJ? I don’t want to get highly competitive anytime soon (I would need more than one master for that anyway, as far as I understand), but I am still looking for an effective crew as far as that is achievable with only one master. I was thinking about getting the “The Guilds Judgement” and add in a Domador of Cadaveres for healing and undead shenanigans as well as a Death Marshal Recruiter to utilize the burying mechanic of the death marshals (is this interaction too cute?).

4. I couldn’t find any information on which models are going to be remade for the third edition, besides Rasputina and The Dreamer. Is there a list of models or a date at which new models are supposed to be revealed? It would be pretty disheartening, if I would buy into the M2E models only to find out, that new shiny models are released two weeks later.

5. “The Guilds Judgement” seems to be out of stock. What’s up with that? Is it a sign that they are planning to release a new box? If not, how long does it usually take them to restock?

6. Lastly a lore question:  In LJ’s Bio it say that “her eyes are covered with the traditional band of her station”. Does that mean “Lady Justice” is more of a function than a person? If so, would that potentially protect her from becoming a DMH model in future iterations of the game?

Thank you in advance, if you are taking your time to read my wall of text and answer my questions 😊. I hope this is the right place to ask such questions.

Best regards

Foxicious

• Like 1

Hi,

There is already a Lady Justice new sculpt planned (it was shown with Lucius and Dashael at GenCon'18) so expect a new scuplt at least. Regarding new models: they said every model will be resculpted at some point (could be years) starting with new masters, masters with only one sculpt and those with boxes that are no longer "playable" (Dashel was included in Lucius box in m2e, now he is a master).

About her keyword I can't say much as I only played with Sonnia and Nellie this edition so far.

• Thanks 1

Lady Justice is probably a good place to start. She isn't going to be the most complicated of masters, but I believe she has enough nuance to keep her interesting.

I'm not sure her relative power level, but I think she can at least compete in any game.

My general suggestion is to get the box, and play a few games at that level. Then you can get an idea of how you play the crew, where you want to improve your options, and what you think you need to make them work.

If you want to go on the Bury theme, Jury and the Brutal effigy/emissary are also nice buys along with the death Marshal recruiters. If scheming is something you struggle with, then the lone marshal is an in theme fast model (Outside this you probably need to go to other keywords to get them to do what you want).  Domindors and exorcists will help you with the undead theme.

On the lore front, Lady Justices position is Head of the Death Marshalls, so I assume that's the band she uses as her blindfold.

I would expect each edition to last 5 or so years, and I expect people to still use dead man hands models, so even if it is a way for Wyrd to remove models from the game, you probably have 10 years or so before she would be at threat of having no rules.

The Guild Judgement isn't one of the Boxes I would expect needs a resculpt, but it is probably one of the Iconic boxes for the game, so it might be fairly high up in the list for new sculpts, but even so I would expect that to not be released this year. ( I may be wrong. But I don't expect any new sculpts before August at the earliest and we'll probably know in July what is coming at Gencon).  When Wyrd switched its whole range from metal to plastic it took 3 years or so to release them all. The Range is now larger.

• Thanks 1

My opponent has been pretty much maining lady j in our beta games for most of m3e testing and we'd both agree she's a great place to start m3e.  She has a lot of motion with leap and can put out damage herself.  Her team is straightforward but has some interactions that keep them interesting.  She can't drop scheme markers willy-nilly, but a lot of keywords cant (nellie and lucius nonwithstanding).  I don't think she's hurt too much by missing out on those, as she's pretty good at the main strategies and can do a lot of the schemes.  If you were worried I'd pull in a couple out of theme models (like false witnesses) to help bridge the gap.

As for the discussions about power level, I think she's in a great spot (and that's against non-undead / summoned models) as she has a versatile kit, and her theme has a decent number of models across the cost spectrum.  I think the 'she's too weak' comments are more cause shes 1) generally balanced 2) not exactly the same as m2e / not the end all beat all.  He plays with marshals, a domador, judge most games, and pulls in other models.

Not sure on the lack of stock places.  Sometimes malifaux goes out of stock for a couple months when they're waiting for stock.  There could be a new set in the works, but I'd hope that the original one would get restocked before that happens.  I assume the brick & mortar store near me would have them (but I haven't been in a few weeks), but that only helps if you were in New England.

• Thanks 1

Hey,

thanks everybody for the great feedback. Seems like the Lady is the way to go for me 😁. As suggested I am going to start off with the Box Set first and see where I go from there. I will probably grab the 2nd edition set as soon as it is available in my region again. I think the models look gorgeous anyways.

8 hours ago, longfanz said:

There is already a Lady Justice new sculpt planned (it was shown with Lucius and Dashael at GenCon'18) so expect a new scuplt at least.

Did they just announce it or did they also show the model? I'm asking because I can't find any pictures of the model. Maybe I'm just searching the wrong places 🤔

One last question: If I wanted to read up on lore, what would be the best place for that? A lot of lore seems to be in the corresponding rule books, which will be obsolete as soon as the new edition releases, right?

Justice may be the most valuable starting master of M3E for the new players. She and her crew are straightforward enough such that you may focus on learning the core mechanism of Malifaux. And once you have enough knowledge of the game and plan to switch to another master, Justice can still be a top-end beater hiring into other crew.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, longfanz said:

New box confirmed

Awesome! The artworks look great. But I'm not 100% sure if I'm a fan of the new model/artwork for Lady Justice. Maybe I will still go for the 2E model for her.

14 hours ago, muraki said:

You could start listening to the breachside broadcasts if that worked.

I just did and they are awesome 😍

52 minutes ago, foxicious said:

Awesome! The artworks look great. But I'm not 100% sure if I'm a fan of the new model/artwork for Lady Justice. Maybe I will still go for the 2E model for her.

Yep, but the new judge is way cooler than the current one so better buy both boxes 😂😂

Since I've been trowing ebay for deals / oop models lately, there is a lady j box up there for a pretty good price (it's from Canada but even with shipping it isn't that bad to the US at least). 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Malifaux-Marshal-Lady-Justice-Guild-The-Guilds-Judgement/254161694451?

Course if you've already have a supplier, feel free to ignore this message :)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip. I also found this one. Sadly for me the shipping is as expensive as the box price 😭. That's why I am hesitant to get it.

But maaaybeee they aren't going to restock 2nd edition boxes since a new one is coming? 😱 In that case I should probably get it anyways...

And no clue on the restock question.  I always assume I'll need something that is out of stock or is on limited stock... and end up not opening it for months (at which time it's back to regular stock).  I'd say if you wanted to play in the next month or 2, maybe it makes sense.  But as stated before, I have no patience.

You could also do a proxy game or 2 with lady j, just to reinforce your desire to play her.  Its always nice to know for a fact that you like a model/team

1 hour ago, thebarbalag said:

Looks like Lady J has gotten another makeover since last Gen Con, but also, that she's for sure getting a new box, complete with the new Judge.

54204355_10216404905407989_708443009955397632_n.jpg

Seeing that box art ( and Lady J's new short hair) makes me wonder if the kickass model firing into the Pine Box is actually the new Judge, not Lady J as we all assumed last year.

Its basically wishful thinking on my part as I'm sure that model has a blindfold, but still, I can hope!

8 hours ago, theamazingmrg said:

Seeing that box art ( and Lady J's new short hair) makes me wonder if the kickass model firing into the Pine Box is actually the new Judge, not Lady J as we all assumed last year.

Its basically wishful thinking on my part as I'm sure that model has a blindfold, but still, I can hope!

Pretty sure the Judge is the lady in the red dress with the katana.

3 minutes ago, thebarbalag said:

Pretty sure the Judge is the lady in the red dress with the katana.

You and me (and pretty much everyone else) both! But we can't see the bottom half of the artwork, so she may still have trousers. The previewed model certainly looks more like the probable Judge than the new art for Lady J, simply down to the hair, if nothing else.

Plus: that preview is a cool model and it would be a shame not to get it in favour of Short-hair Justice.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:21 AM, foxicious said:

My favorite sculpt for Justice is the 1E Alt sculpt.... which sadly I don't own... as I could never justify it over other purchases that actually expanded my guild collection whether it was in 1.5 or 2E.  I could probably find it somewhere if I really looked for it...

On 3/13/2019 at 9:15 AM, longfanz said:

Yep, but the new judge is way cooler than the current one so better buy both boxes 😂😂

I am not sure how I feel about girl Judge though.  Justice was my first master, so the vast majority of my Justice collection is the original 1E metals.  A lady in a red dress with a katana looks absolutely nothing like my Judge.   Not that it bothers me, but I can definitely understand it being confusing for a newer player who might not realize that Judge has gone through some... changes... not that there is anything wrong with that!  Granted his appearance changed pretty significantly from 1E to 2E, but really that was just because he had put on a big hat.  He still had a sword, goggles, and a bandanna covering his face.   Its a pretty minor gripe though, and its not like it is difficult to explain what my models are!  

In any event, I am excited for 3E!  

• Agree 1