dope_danny

Any new info on the character cards?

Back during the reveal a new type of vertical card was shown as a 'example of a potential design' and while there was debate between people if the new Bioshock Infinite style aesthetic was more welcome or unwelcome than the 'wanted poster/guild dossier' style of 2nd which is largely personal choice the across the board reaction was "are they too big?".

Personally when i play now, and anecdotal but everyone i play with does the same, we use the cards in blank trading card sleeves and use a white board marker to fill in each bullet hole HP pip on the card, to say nothing of carrying a small card binder that holds our collections to accompany the minatures rather than a stack sliding around in a figure case, and when the games over we just wipe them off and good as new. Not only are the health marks looking a bit too small for that on the new prototype designs but large cards means you can't do that unless you go out of your way to laminate them or something if they no longer fit card sleeves.

I've looked around but since the initial reactions i've not seen much talking about the cards. Horizontal or Vertical is really up to the designers/art team but 7-12+ large cards are going to take up a fair chunk of tabletop space. For example Warhammers Age of Sigmar 2nd edition brought in these stat cards for each unit that are about the size of a smartphone or larger and in a game with 6 or 7 of those thats a lot of tabletop space, especially when some fold open due to more abilities and stats. Difference there however is you aren't marking them so you can stack them up and check them when you need to. With the 3x3 style skirmish games like malifaux i never see people do anything but have their side of the table with a row of cards all at once showing markers, wounds, tokens and so on. So naturally theres a worry that its going to be a case of 'real estate creep' when we also need space for stuff like fate decks that you can't just plop on the game area like dice to boot.

I could be a minority worrying over nothing but has anything been said about the whole 'making the cards bigger' deal?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

They said they are making them bigger and it wasn't up for debate. I tried arguing for using the bigger card to put all the rules on one side, but to no avail.

From what I have gathered, these are slightly smaller than the 1st edition cards, but portrait instead of landscape. With the reduction in upgrades, high took up a lot of space moving from 1st to 2nd and only grew in number, I think we will be fine.

As for sleeves, 3x5 fit before. For binders, any picture sheet binder will work, but there are likely tarot size sheets that may work.

Going back to when the new card format was announced, the following facts have been pointed out:

1. Various companies do make "tarot card" sized card sleeves.
  2. If one wants to fiddle with card sizes, one will have the PDFs of the cards to print out when the game's released.  

The thing is, I'm still weird about how I want to deal with cards.  I figure that if you're recording stats on cards, you should ensure that the cards are on the sides of each table (preferably using card stands) where both players can see them equally well.  (I bought a few bags of card stands from a board game supply store on line a year or two ago, really useful purchase.). Each player having their cards directly in front of themselves does the other player no favors.

It took me a while to find the new card dimensions:  70mm x 120mm.  The old card size was about 2.5" by 3.5" according to my tape measure.  

To get an idea how much that's going to change, take two of your existing cards and put them next to each other.  The new cards are going to be slightly smaller than that.  That sounds like a huge increase in card surface area, but that doesn't consider the removal of so many upgrade cards.

M1E cards unfolded are just over 82mm by 120mm. (I kept the 1st edition cards for the random metal figures that I ended up buying several years ago during 2nd edition.) 

1 hour ago, solkan said:

To get an idea how much that's going to change, take two of your existing cards and put them next to each other.  The new cards are going to be slightly smaller than that.  That sounds like a huge increase in card surface area, but that doesn't consider the removal of so many upgrade cards.

These are the sizes (smallest-to-biggest is M2e, M3e, and Wyrd's Tarot fate deck that's oversized for whatever reason):

dknvb0D.jpg

There are a bunch of individual sleeves around (Tarot size is what you want), but binder sleeves are a lot harder to find.  You can use 3x5 but it's going to have a lot of spare space on the sides which might mean wobbly cards.  There are some Star Wars sleeves that are perfect fits but they have weird tiny pockets that won't be any good for us.

1 hour ago, solkan said:

1. If one wants to fiddle with card sizes, one will have the PDFs of the cards to print out when the game's released.  

That makes me wonder if we will see something like drive thru rpgs 'errata fixed' cards they do now.

The one thing I'm wishing for, but not expecting, are for a set of cards to be printed without the "art portraits", and a computer recognized transparency space where it was.

When I heard M3E was going to have stat cards freely available, that was my first thought.

The reasoning was, it would allow me to take photographs of my miniatures, and easily superimpose them on to stat cards, so that opponents (and myself) could easily recognize which models were which. 

Just going off the stuff we've seen, I prefer my 2E Marcus (and I'm not prepared to buy the new one, just cause), and my old 1E Blessed, and while Cojo is similar enough posed, mine isn't albino. Also, my Hoffman crew (among many others) has a non-standard paintjob. There's also a lot of pose differences between M1E and M2E that I'll expect to continue with M3E, meaning defining minions will be a chore.

Being able to take a photo of my three metal M1E Pistoleros and easily sticking them onto a transparency of the card before printing them, would make identification much easier. The current format makes it look like trying that without a transparency, a horrible proposition.

Not expecting, just wishing.

• Like 2

I'm hoping some good soul will make M2E-style versions of the M3E cards - the wounds area is larger, clearer, and in a rarely-handled place on the card.

This is the main relevant factor for me - unless the text is microscopic, it can be read, but you can't undo accidentally wiping an unknown number of wounds off when you picked the card up fifteen minutes ago.

The new cards are big so that they fit all of the abilities on the front, but if the titanic art bits are reined in a bit I think they might be barely workable. The way the model rules are built now, there's not enough real estate front-of-card to use the M2E layout, unfortunately. We're just stuck with the new jumbo cards.

Grumble grumble.

22 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

The one thing I'm wishing for, but not expecting, are for a set of cards to be printed without the "art portraits", and a computer recognized transparency space where it was.

When I heard M3E was going to have stat cards freely available, that was my first thought.

The reasoning was, it would allow me to take photographs of my miniatures, and easily superimpose them on to stat cards, so that opponents (and myself) could easily recognize which models were which. 

Just going off the stuff we've seen, I prefer my 2E Marcus (and I'm not prepared to buy the new one, just cause), and my old 1E Blessed, and while Cojo is similar enough posed, mine isn't albino. Also, my Hoffman crew (among many others) has a non-standard paintjob. There's also a lot of pose differences between M1E and M2E that I'll expect to continue with M3E, meaning defining minions will be a chore.

Being able to take a photo of my three metal M1E Pistoleros and easily sticking them onto a transparency of the card before printing them, would make identification much easier. The current format makes it look like trying that without a transparency, a horrible proposition.

Not expecting, just wishing.

Have you tried to use the printing from this crew builder where you can add any image you want to the card you print in either M2E or M3E style printing:

https://m3e.hong-crewet.dk/

• Thanks 1