santaclaws01

Nekima vs Sandeep 3/7

Setup: Nekima attacker, Sandeep Defender.
Strategy: Plant Explsoives
Schemes: Dig Their graves, Outflank, Power Ritual, Vendetta, Take Prisoner

Crews:
Nekima, 8ss
 -Inhuman Reflexes
Blood Hunter
Hayreddin
Mature Nephilim
 -Inhuman Reflexes
Black Blood Shaman
-Ancient Pact
Young Nephilim
Terror Tot
Schemes: Vendetta(terror tot on Oxfordian Mage), Power Ritual

Sandeep, 5ss
Banasuva
Kandara
Kudra
Oxfordian Mage
 -Magical Training
Ice Gamin
Ice Gamin
Fire Gamin
Fire Gamin
Schemes: Outflank, Power Ritual

Explosives go on: Banasuva, Kudra, Mage, Ice Gamin 1, Fire Gamin 1, Mature Nephilim, Hayreddin(2). Terror Tot and Shaman.

C4x6cYu.png
Turn 1: I stone for cards, Sandeep doesn't.
Fire gamin 1 activates, concentrates placing a pyre marker, gaining shielded and drawing a card. Walks gaining a burning from the pyre marker, then removes pyre marker to gain burning+2.
Young Nephilim activates, placing a scheme marker in my corner, fails to Fly With Me, then just walks up.
Ice Gamin 1 activates, focusing to gain shielded and draw a card. Uses Incase in Ice on Ice Gamin 2. Walks
Blood Hunter Activates, Regurgitates, Concentrates and walks.
Ice Gamin 2 activates, concentrates gaining shielded and drawing a card, walks, then Incase in Ice on Ice Gamin 1.
Hayreddin activates, shoots the terror tot spending a stone for the Blood Sacrifice trigger, then walks up.|
Kudra walks, discards a card to concentrate as a bonus, then walks again.
Black Blood Shaman activates, removes a corpse marker to pulse out focus to the rest of the crew, charges Hayreddin, deals 1 damage to him then heals him for 1 with Blood Clot. I draw a card from Nefarious Pact.
Fire Gamin 2 activates, Concentrates getting a shielded, drawing a card, and places a Pyre Marker. Walks gainin a burning from the pyre marker, then removes the pyre marker for burning +2.
Terror Tot activates, uses grim feast and double walks.
Banasuva activates, concentrates gaining shielded and drawing a card, uses Lord of Elementals on Fire Gamin 1, who concentrates gaining shielded, drawing a card and placing a pyre marker.
Mature Nephilim activates, uses Fly With Me on the blood hunter, then double walks forward.
Essence of Power walks forward, concentrates gaining shielded and drawing a card, then uses Amplify
Nekima double walks and concentrates.
Sandeep summons a Fire Gamin and an Ice Gamin, uses Command the Elements on the summoned Fire Gamin to push it and make it concentrate, gaining a shielded, drawing a card and placing a pyre marker, then uses Command on the summoned Ice Gamin to push it and make it concentrate, drawing a card, and gaining a shielded.
Kandara concentrates, gaining a shielded, drawing a card, and then walking
Oxfordian mage walks, and uses Arcane Conduit.
Fire Gamin 3 activates, removes slow from Arcane Conduit, then replaces itself and the 2 other fire gamin with a Fire Golem, which gains Focus+2, Shielded +2 and Burning +3. Concentrates standing in a pyre marker gaining Burning +1, Shielded +1, and drawing a card. Walks gaining burning +1 from the Pyre Marker.
Ice Gamin 3 activates, removes Slow with Arcane Conduit, replaces itself with an Ice Golem which gains Focus +1 and Shielded +1. Ice Golem concentrates gaining shielded +1 and draws a card. Walks forward.

9VvZG6b.png
Turn 2, sandeep wins initiative.
Essence of Power activates, concentrates to gain shielded +1, draws a card. Uses Amplify. Drops a scheme marker.
Young Nephilim uses Fly With Me, then double walks.
Kandara concentrates gaining shielded and drawing a card. Drops a scheme marker.
Blood Hunter regurgitates a corpse and double walks.
Oxford Mage concentrates, healing 2, and uses Arcane Conduit.
Black Blood Shaman walks, charges Nekima hitting the Blood Sacrifice trigger, uses Blasphemous Ritual to give focus to Nekima, the Mature Nephilim, the Young Nephilim, and the Blood Hunter. I draw a card.
Fire Golem activates, concentrates gaining shielded, placing a pyre marker and gaining burning from another pyre marker. Walks gaining another burning, moving 2 pyre markers.
Terror Tot activates, uses grim feast and grows into a Young Nephilim, double walks.
Kudra double walks.
Hayreddin double walks, uses blood for blood getting the necrotic infusion trigger, healing the new Young Nephilim 1.
Sandeep walks, Commands Banasuva, pushing and takes the concentrate action, drawing a card, and placing an Ice Pillar. Commands the Ice Golem to concentrate, drawing a card.
Mature Nephilim uses fly with me on Hayreddin, walks, charges moving through the Ice Golem and uses focus attacking the the Essence of Power, killing it with a severe of 6.
Banasuva uses Lord of Elements on the Ice Golem, making it walk, the charges the Mature using a focus. Hits declaring Bowled Over, dealing 2 damage. Banasuva and the Ice Golem both take 1 from Black Blood. Mature Nephilim butterfly jumps away. Banasuva uses with focus Breath Fire, drawing out my Black Joker. Cheats in red joker on damage dealing 6 to the mature, and 3 to Hayreddin.
Nekima double walks, charges Banasuva using focus, misses. Uses enraged by insolence.
Ice Golem walks, attacks Nekima using a focus. Cheats for the slow trigger dealing 2 damage to Nekima after stoning, Mature heals 1 for Revitalize Ichor and I draw a card for Spite.
Hayreddin and Mature both take 1 for burning.

USHSOof.png
Turn 3, we both stone for cards, Sandeep wins initative after cheating 2 13s.
Sandeep walks, uses Command the Elements on the Ice Golem, pushing it 2 and making it charge the Mature. Both use focus, I cheat RJ to make it miss. Use Command the Elemnts on Banasuva who Breaths Fire on the Mature, missing.
Mature Nephilim Uses Fly With Me, charges banasuva misses, attacks again misses.
Banasuva concentrates, gaining shielded, drawing a card, damages the Mature and drops an Ice Pillar, uses Breath of Fire on the Mature using focus. Uses Lord of the Elements on Kandara, fails.
Black Blood Shaman uses Fly With Me, charges the Ice Golem for 1 after armor, then attacks again missing. Heals Hayreddin and the Mature 1 from Blood Clot.
Ice Golem attacks Hayreddin, misses, flurries for 3 damage after stoning, reforms from ice healing 2.
Hayreddin regens 1, uses Life from Blood, then attacks the Ice golem for a total of 2.
Oxfordian mage charges the Mature Nephilim, misses, mature jumps away. Mage walks.
Young Nephilim 2 places an explosive, uses fly with me, then charges the Oxfordian Mage dealing 3 damage after shielded revealing Vendetta.
Fire golem double walks.
Young Nephilim 1 fails fly with me on the blood hunter, double walks.
Kandara charges Nekima using focus, deals 1 after stoning damage, Kandara and Banasuva both take 0 after shielded. Nekima jumps away. Fails I've Got Your Back on Banasuva, walks.
Blood Hunter regens 1, double walks.
Kudra walks, charges Nekima using focus, misses, Nekima Jumps, Kudra uses Disillusion of Nekima getting the RJ, Nekima jumps.
Nekima regens 2, charges dealing 1 to the Ice golem with blade rush, attacks using focus. Hits the ice golem with Shove Aside for 1 after armor and cheating down for min, attacks kandara using focus, misses, charges through the Ice Golem again dealing 1 damage with Blade Rush, attacks Banasuva hitting for 3, uses Blood for Blood killing the Ice Golem and dealing 1 damage to Banasuva, summoning a Terror Tot. Heals 1 from Teach Them Fear.

Game is called here 2-0.

q1EiFSA.png
Thoughts on crews: Nekima herself is still a good beater, and Inhuman Reflexes combing Blade Rush with Frenzied Charge gives a nice source of chip damage against models without a 2" engagement range. The crew is mobile so long as you can get 6s for Fly With Me. Corpse Generation is very low if you can't draw any high masks or any masks early on(I only drew 1 mask, the ace, and only on turn 3).  If my opponent didn't send the Fire Golem to run schemes there's no way I would have came out on top in the fight the broke because the Mature would have died and I would have no reliable way to get another Mature quickly against a crew with 3 living models. Additionally the blood hunter being only a beast means that the Shaman can't heal it so it can't a corpse marker out every turn unless it gets healed from Revitaling Ichor or Necrotic Infusion, and I can't even have it kill itself for 2 corpse markers on turn 3 since models can't pay a cost if it would kill them. Aside from the grow mechanic being reliant on the crews enemic corpse generation against models that don't drop corpses the crew seems fine.

Sandeep seems like he's in a really good place. He can hire pairs of ice/fire/metal gamin and use them as first turn card generators, then just summon 2 more gamin thanks to all the card draw he gets, which both replace and turn into golems, get him more cards and already have a good amount of focus and burning(for the fire golem) already on them, as well as not being slow with the Oxfordian Mage who will just heal himself so the 1 damage on both doesn't matter. My opponent told me that going into turn 2 his hand was completely full of severes,  including the red joker. That's a lot of power going into turn 2 especially with Flank or Standard deployment since it means turn 2 could open up with a fight. Something definitely needs to be toned down.

Edited by santaclaws01
added images.
  • Like 2

2-0 was in favour of Nekima? I understand your concern about card draw but it seems like it was a lots of resources invested towards it and the final score does not suggest the Sandeep crew was overpowered. 

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 3

4 minutes ago, Franchute said:

2-0 was in favour of Nekima? I understand your concern about card draw but it seems like it was a lots of resources invested towards it and the final score does not suggest the Sandeep crew was overpowered. 

It was 2-0 in my favor because my opponent wasted a 10ss beater on schemeing. If the fire golem was in the fight the outcome would have been a clean sweep against me. As for resources invested by the Sandeep crew for the card draw, there was no opportunity cost to it. The investment was just playing the crew normally.

Looking at the maps, it seems that your opponent was using a 10ss model for scheme running because there wasn't another option available. You basically had his whole crew pinned in their own half, in a strategy which requires markers to be placed in the opponent's half, meanwhile you already had scoring markers in place. That's a bad situation to be in, and largely down to the fact that while his entire crew was concentrating and combining into golems, you were moving forwards. Another big factor is the absence from his crew of fast scheme runners, due to using all his stones hiring the Golem engine. Honestly, I get the impression he could have done better hiring two golems and then summoning Gamin to make up numbers, which is something any summoner can do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

well as Santaclaws' opponent i'll chime in a few things. (my opponent played very very well, I made lots and lots of errors)

essentially I miss played turn 2 horribly.  winning the inishative I should have forced my opponent to go first as he had to break cover and i could then counter his movements. instead I went first to try and put up the the aura on the essence which did nothing what so ever. 

I should have also been hiring wind gamin and a metal gamin with my hand turn 2 or something to just then start the scheam running process and and split my opponents crew. instead, I tried to take the game to them rather than just trying to sneak models over the line and just engaging with my 3 beaters. instead i tried to fight a crew that was more killy than me and prob over estimated my hand, yes it was a great hand but 7 face cards just didn't do enough sadly as I ended up lacking actions over card quality. 

I think the crew also missed the SVG which i should prob take over kudra, the shielding only being till end of turn, is a bit meh with my play style and i think the pushes might be more usefull to move up the field. 

at the end of the day, the crew feels realy realy powerful and much better than anything else arcanists have to offer.... i'm strongly considering selling off half my crews (Ironsides, Kaeris Marcus, leaving myself with meifeng, raspy and Sandeep) and buying in to either ressers or TT 

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

There is still a max card hand limit in m3e yes?  So the card draw still needs to be done strategically or it is more of a cycle.  Still good, but not like m2e card draw could be.

I don't really think its that big of an issue, I played Lucius and Judge in Guild and never had hand-size problems.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

There is still a max card hand limit in m3e yes?  So the card draw still needs to be done strategically or it is more of a cycle.  Still good, but not like m2e card draw could be.

The difference is Sandeep is a summoner who can effectively summon a full golem with focus +1 for only 1 ap from himself and still get 3 cards at minimum from it. Additionally Lucius doesn't have access to in keyword heavy hitters like Sandeep does.

7 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

The difference is Sandeep is a summoner who can effectively summon a full golem with focus +1 for only 1 ap from himself and still get 3 cards at minimum from it. Additionally Lucius doesn't have access to in keyword heavy hitters like Sandeep does.

Lucius doesn't care about heavy hitters in his keyword. He, however, doesn't have summoning in his keyword and that's what keeps him in check ;)

9 hours ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

But the crew can get a max hand size of 8, no?

• Respectfully Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, BornOnTheBayou said:

But the crew can get a max hand size of 8, no?

how do you get to hand side 8?

I was under the impression Arcane Reservoir doesn't stack (if it does then i guess im going go down to 3 stones, as you don't need them for card draw for sandeep!)

Yes my hand size was capped at 7, but when your 7 cards is 7 face cards turn 2 and you can draw potential 4-6 more depending on need with out effecting front line activation's (2 new summons, essence of power kandara and potentially 2 Command the Elements from sandeep).

my current thought that in anything but plant explosive sandeep is so much better than anything else the arcanists offer.- i'm not sure how i feel about plant explosives with my play style of sandeep as a lot of my non summoned guys don't cross centre line

On 3/15/2019 at 2:46 AM, retnab said:

Yes, AR was reworded to not stack, so max hand size for Arcanists is 7

Sorry, but how was it reworded to not stack? Not an arcanist player, just curious! 

If this model is a Minion, it also gains the following
Ability:
Arcane Reservoir: Crews containing a model with
this Ability increase their Maximum Hand Size by 1.

Is it something in the rules? I fail to see how you cannot increase handsize by 2 with two of these upgrades? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Modernpenguin said:

Sorry, but how was it reworded to not stack? Not an arcanist player, just curious! 

If this model is a Minion, it also gains the following
Ability:
Arcane Reservoir: Crews containing a model with
this Ability increase their Maximum Hand Size by 1.

Is it something in the rules? I fail to see how you cannot increase handsize by 2 with two of these upgrades? 

It doesn't have +1. To make it clear it should probably say "to 7"

5 hours ago, Modernpenguin said:

If this model is a Minion, it also gains the following Ability:
Arcane Reservoir: Crews containing a model with this Ability increase their Maximum Hand Size by 1.

It was reworded to include the "containing a model with this" bit, to say it only comes up once.  Though, if it's still not clear, we could go with "containing one or more models with this" as that's extra clear on it not stacking.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, retnab said:

It was reworded to include the "containing a model with this" bit, to say it only comes up once.  Though, if it's still not clear, we could go with "containing one or more models with this" as that's extra clear on it not stacking.

Would this be more clear: 

Arcane Reservoir: Crews containing this model increase their Maximum Hand Size to 7.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

It should be clear enough as currently written once people better learn that only +1s and -1s stack.

Maybe an FAQ then? Or use AR as an example of things that don't stack.

I think the 'one or more models  with this upgrade' would be the clarification needed. RAW is a bit iffy, and isn't the purpose of M3E to streamline things? New players should not be forced to comb through the rulebook for instances where bonuses such as this does not stack.