Flippin' Wyrd Matt

New Journalists in practice

36 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd Jamie said:

Sounds fairly accurate. As the opponent that was what I found. Speed wise I didn't find any issues, the crew seemed around average speed with some neat mobility tricks on undercover reporters and field reporters. Damage wise that's not what the keyword is about. You could easily add it in with rider/emmisary/grimwell on top of Phiona if we're just looking at versatile. But that isn't what this keyword is for in the faction so adding it into the keyword will take away from what it actually should be which is your anti scheme/strat crew IMO 

While I agree she shouldn't be focused on damage, she needs to be able to be a more control/support master in order to work. Anti-scheming is not enough if you can't move or remove crucial models and currently she will melt against any decent damage crew and she will struggle with a lot of schemes.

Hold Up and Take Prisoner are hard because Reporters lack engagement.
Breakthrough and Power Ritual are hard for Guild in general
Vendetta and Assasinate aren't done easier by everyone else.
She can't move enemy models to help with Claim Jump.

Reporters don't have don't mind me and their marker placement is pretty much dependent on where the enemy let's you place them.

This makes her a very niche pick, where you get one of the 2 strats, a good scheme pool and don't get countered by a decent damage crew. I think the closest you can get to a crew like Nellie is Colette currently. WIth Don't Mind Me she can deny a lot of schemes too, but the mobility and defensive capabilities of Cassandra, Carlos and the Duet are way better compared to what Journalists have.

3 hours ago, trikk said:

While I agree she shouldn't be focused on damage, she needs to be able to be a more control/support master in order to work. Anti-scheming is not enough if you can't move or remove crucial models and currently she will melt against any decent damage crew and she will struggle with a lot of schemes.

Reporters don't have don't mind me and their marker placement is pretty much dependent on where the enemy let's you place them.

This makes her a very niche pick, where you get one of the 2 strats, a good scheme pool and don't get countered by a decent damage crew. I think the closest you can get to a crew like Nellie is Colette currently. WIth Don't Mind Me she can deny a lot of schemes too, but the mobility and defensive capabilities of Cassandra, Carlos and the Duet are way better compared to what Journalists have.

Haven't played against Colette yet, but while guild usually isn't great at breakthrough or power ritual, I would think this crew could do it pretty well.  

13 hours ago, trikk said:

Please look at Colette and afterwards tell me something about "not focused on damage" or "journalists have enough in table control". 
Overmobile Showgirl crew with decent damage and schemerun and ... very slow journalists (except field reporters and undercover reporter who still need a scheme marker). "Bring it" of hench vs Lure on minions. 

Field reporters for 6 do tons less then Performers or Corypheys...

Field reporters looks less variative even compare to False Witness.

32 minutes ago, Chris Garstan said:

Please look at Colette and afterwards tell me something about "not focused on damage" or "journalists have enough in table control". 
Overmobile Showgirl crew with decent damage and schemerun and ... very slow journalists (except field reporters and undercover reporter who still need a scheme marker). "Bring it" of hench vs Lure on minions. 

Field reporters for 6 do tons less then Performers or Corypheys...

Field reporters looks less variative even compare to False Witness.

I meant in design philosophy and not actual game power. 

My opinion on some general weaknesses:

Chasing a Story: since it is used more like defence ability for the crew leave it ïn LOS "it's still hard enough.

Field Reporters: need something else to Distract on 6 inches... Really... their passive abilities only compensate that they have no engagement.

Alison Dade and Undercover Journalist - the second one is nice for 7... Alison for 8 as Enforcer (no stones) looks sad because she dies fast.

Something to control the opponent a bit... in positioning.

Nellie became a 1 move 1 Slow 1 Interact master - her bonus action is still ...

14 hours ago, Flippin' Wyrd Matt said:

I would agree she dose not need to be focused towards damage, a slight adjustment across the crew with the recommended change to slander will give them a better feel I would say.

But all in all any changes should be to look at focusing her on movement/support/control not Damage. Bring back a variant of Delegation I would say as a ability to support models around her.

From what I can see from the battle reports and my own game. She seems like she would benefit from having the convulsion trigger on her One more question. Not built in but as a option on the crow to give her the ability to manipulate the board state, which would also aid her using her exclusive interview aura. 

Convulsions...that would be nice with journalists. If Heartsbane weren’t a second enforcer to babysit as well as Dade...no, wait, her convulsions trigger is in melee and not guaranteed. Better to put it on Nellie the soulstone user.

To be honest I’m still not sure what the heck I’m doing with these models even after a few games in a row. Elaborate setups are planned and then I go and do something else on the needs of the moment. Usually One More Question. Unlike the rest of you I am using Reveal Source (but strictly for the trigger, you are correct that the “action” itself is dead space).

3 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Convulsions...that would be nice with journalists. If Heartsbane weren’t a second enforcer to babysit as well as Dade...no, wait, her convulsions trigger is in melee and not guaranteed. Better to put it on Nellie the soulstone user.

To be honest I’m still not sure what the heck I’m doing with these models even after a few games in a row. Elaborate setups are planned and then I go and do something else on the needs of the moment. Usually One More Question. Unlike the rest of you I am using Reveal Source (but strictly for the trigger, you are correct that the “action” itself is dead space).

If you swap the trigger and the action you could actually use both with the right flip :D 

• Agree 1

Guess who just realized he printed the wrong edition of the cards! So that's cool. Reflecting on how using the right set might have changed things... Losing the Press Release I think I like, it felt a bit weird. I like how the Focus economy changed. More control, but also requires more effort. I think overall she's shifted even further in the tar pit direction. I feel like the crew's synergy is more natural, if that makes sense. The 3/1 edition I almost felt like I had the crew, and some filler models.

Reviewing my battle reports, two things I noticed: I was using Reveal Source trigger for the push as well as the obey half the time, so now I support trikk in saying a push is quote missing unquote from her kit, and Phiona camping a scheme marker for positive flips cannot take hits for a Nellie under attack who wants to be over 2” away from Phiona/4” away from a friendly scheme marker, for recovering via self-heal (this anti-synergy is new in 3.07 rewrite).