Flippin' Wyrd Matt

New Journalists in practice

So I have tested Nellie and here are my findings from my play test.

All in all i had a lot more fun playing with Nellie but i would say she still needs some work to make her effective as a support master. 

Breaking news - Worked very well, as a method of drawing cards. A few things i wanted to clarify, do you need to to take the focus to gain the card or may you chose not to take the focus but still draw the card? Also for a balance point of view should the card draw be only if this model is the declared leader? 

Scooped! - once again did not come up at all and really offers very little in the way of real game effect. Defensively it dose nothing and i would really like to see this exchanged for a ability that has more effect on the game either a defensive ability or something to offer some aid to others around her.

Exclusive interview - This was much better then I expected it to be, the range only being :aura2 puts Nellie and the others into harms way and you really need this to be in effect to get the real use out of her abilities. I would say it may need to be a larger aura. not a lot though.

One More Question - so besides one more question not being the most effective attack action, it did the required thing it handed out the triggers.

Slander - The Trigger was fine for giving out distracted, but the rider of plus one damage needs to be changed to any Scheme Marker not just friendly to get any real use out of it. would go a long way to help the crews damage output 

Reveal Source - Unfortunately this ability dose not work with Nellie's current build. it needs to go i would say and be replaced with a action that she can use to enhance the crew around her somehow, as with the current interact actions way of doing things this ability never get any traction on the table. With the interacts being the new way of getting markers down you are limited by the not withing 4 inch rule of another scheme marker. This means that this just did not work and i found myself using it once for the trigger but with no scheme markers around.  For me that means that actually Nellie would benefit for a more control or support ability in place of this as she is not there to try and do damage. maybe a more rounded out version of betrayal as the action so she has some board control or something similar to molly or Hoffman, Fast or Reactivate. Anything instead of reveal source that works better for her in her new direction.

Slow News Day - Was let down by not really wanting to waste time on the slander trigger, favouring the Headline over slander means that i did not also want to waste a AP on this action. I believe that this should swap into the position of the bonus action and have "get the story" as a normal action as again it would go some way of letting her control her models more, and really dress her up to feel like a support master again. 

To summarise I was very happy that the new direction worked as a idea and happily proven wrong as a sceptic to start with. That being said it dose need a fair bit of work before i would say it was in a good place again. 

Anyone else played her yet and had some thoughts? do you agree?

• Like 2

So does exclusive interview mean if an enemy model within range, say, places a scheme marker it becomes your marker? Or, if that's not it at all, how does exclusive interview work? I'm not sure I fully understand.

He took

Nellie 

Alison 

Phiona 

Undercover Reporter 

Field Reporter 

Field Reporter

Printing press 

Grimwell 

I was Matt's opponent for the game, it was a super scheme heavy game 

Plant Explosives 

Breakthrough

Power ritual

Outflank

Dig graves 

Detonate charges 

The new version of Nellie was actually fun and challenging to play against which was refreshing 

I agree that the card draw should be leader only so

" this model may gain the focused +1 condition and if this model is the crews leader may draw a card" 

The exclusive interview aura was amazing. Matt made me drop a bomb on my side of the board and then had Nellie defend it which I didn't manage to do anything about. Not sure about increasing the aura size as it was really impactful when you're in the aura but probably needs more testing to see either way 

Reveal source I'd agree isn't the right option for her. Actually with the direction she's been taken in the whole action could just be replaced with a support or force multiplier action which would feel more at home on the card.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terrordactyl said:

So does exclusive interview mean if an enemy model within range, say, places a scheme marker it becomes your marker? Or, if that's not it at all, how does exclusive interview work? I'm not sure I fully understand.

We read it as 

Enemy model declares interact action within range, Nellie takes over at this point, decides what the interact action is and has the model do it. It counts as friendly so if a marker is placed it would be friendly to Nellie 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

The Only other issue I had is that Field Reporters are missing half of there humiliation ability which may or may not had a impact.

They are also incredibly short range for a action that dose no damage - but that maybe a Frustration more then a weakness

But still worth 6 stones in the current formate very good model.

I would say that what ever Humiliation is going to be you could have somthing similar on Nellies card instead of scooped and it will have more of a impact on the game. 

I wonder how would they work in any other scenario. Because they seem built for Plant Explosives but if the scheme pool is a bit less interactable, I think they might crumble.

2 hours ago, trikk said:

I wonder how would they work in any other scenario. Because they seem built for Plant Explosives but if the scheme pool is a bit less interactable, I think they might crumble.

I would agree so we actually managed to flip a game that was very suited to Nellies play style but I would say in a more combat heavy game she will struggle. But she dose not need to be the master of all games In my opinion, but she needs to be better at what she can do. 

I made the same basic list, but with a false witness instead of a fr and LLC on Nellie (because my opponent is bringing asami and my aura won't mean a thing I if I get pushed away

Played it against asami this afternoon.  Only got to early turn 3, lost grimwell but my opponent had lost yas, a summoned waynudo, and minako, and I was in a better place to scheme I think.

I was going to get my second bomb marker and my opponent wasn't likely to drop any until turn 4 at the earliest.

Because I only got 2 activations with Nellie, I only got to use her aura once.  It did get me an opponents bomb marker on their side, which was upsetting to him.

I got off a lobotomy at the top of 2 by spending a stone and having the 13:crow in hand.  We had a debate about the order of things.  What we came up with is I declare the trigger, he stones to add a neg to the damage flip (I was on a straight), I flip the damage, he discards for the avoid injury, he discards for the lobotomy, then he can Stone the damage from the attack.    I think that is right, but it gives the skull saw some real anti-synergy with regards to damaging.  But it let me flush my opponents hand down (we talked after the game because he tossed everything but the black, and I don't think he handled that well, but we disagree about hand use in general.

I don't like that minatos upgrade summons even if he is dead.  Especially since he can summon already, he got a paper oni and a waynudo out of a 9 Stone model, and put a bunch of damage on grimwell.   It feels not ok, but then I don't like that he can summon paper oni either.  Just feels like a much better model than grimwell for 9 ss.  And that's with me having the perfect setup to get production out of grimwell.

I can't really judge most of the rest.  I think yaz's ability to push out of engagement is pretty bonkers, given his mobility and potential otherwise, but dades ability to take away his triggers and the false witness's neg wp aura let me take him out with a combined Dade and phiona effort.

I black jokered my one attempt to use the new blackmail, so I can't speak to that.  Nellie's discard then draw I didn't end up using due to a number of factors.  (Mostly good hands, or burnt entire hand taking triggers from yaz )

My opponent prefers this version to the other, but felt like he was done for after yaz and waynudo died at early 3, so it's hard for me to judge.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flippin' Wyrd Matt said:

I would agree so we actually managed to flip a game that was very suited to Nellies play style but I would say in a more combat heavy game she will struggle. But she dose not need to be the master of all games In my opinion, but she needs to be better at what she can do. 

I'm perfectly fine with her sucking in some strats but right now she seems a beast in Plant Explosives and mediocre/bad in anything else. She can't kill in Turf War, she can't move enemies towards the pillars in Idols. I won't mention reckoning.

If a crew is good in one strat and only in a good scheme pool, then it's becoming so niche, that it's not really worth mastering.

• Agree 2

Plant Explosives she's excellent 

Corrupted idols she's solid for similar reasons 

Turf war she can play as she can shut down markers and make them impossible to flip but not your best master for it

Reckoning probably not her best

Can't complain about that as a set of skills though! So much interacting in schemes and strats in m3e that being a great anti-interact master can straight up shut off some choices for your opponent and make strats really hard. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd Jamie said:

Plant Explosives she's excellent 

Corrupted idols she's solid for similar reasons 

Turf war she can play as she can shut down markers and make them impossible to flip but not your best master for it

Reckoning probably not her best

Can't complain about that as a set of skills though! So much interacting in schemes and strats in m3e that being a great anti-interact master can straight up shut off some choices for your opponent and make strats really hard. 

I would say as Guild we have enough masters that can do reckoning 😄.

What we do need is a master that can scheme and buff the crew around her a real support tool box is where i think Nellie should live in the faction.

Is the aura2 long enough to defend an idol that a journalist is standing base-to-base with? It is not. Are there any other auras influencing nearby enemies that have range of aura3 (that is to say, utterly outside of the longest melee range)? Off the top of my head, no. I would much prefer that a journalist can block an idol by being there, as if they had melee ranges, but wonder if that will be allowed at all.

4 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Is the aura2 long enough to defend an idol that a journalist is standing base-to-base with? It is not.

I'm a little confused by this and maybe i'm missing something (suuuper long day at work). The strategy marker is 30mm, so a 2" aura will cover that if a journalist is in base contact with it, thus preventing the enemy from interacting with it to move it.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I'm a little confused by this and maybe i'm missing something (suuuper long day at work). The strategy marker is 30mm, so a 2" aura will cover that if a journalist is in base contact with it, thus preventing the enemy from interacting with it to move it.

You aren’t missing anything. I am having a bit of a day myself (and I would like it to stop please, it has been two days now and I miss thinking clearly). Despite having the book open to the page where it says base contact, I added ‘within 1 inch’ instead of ‘base-to-base’ for the interact. And I have no idea where it came from.

1 minute ago, Gnomezilla said:

You aren’t missing anything. I am having a bit of a day myself (and I would like it to stop please, it has been two days now and I miss thinking clearly). Despite having the book open to the page where it says base contact, I added ‘within 1 inch’ instead of ‘base-to-base’ for the interact. And I have no idea where it came from.

No Worries. Hopefully your day gets better soon!

The point about engagement ranges is a good one. There are only two significant Journalists with engagement ranges now (Phiona & Undercover). Forget trying to score Hold Up with them.

After playing New Nellie against VonSchill with quite suitable theme pull for Nelly I can say only - OP? it's not even close. We played only 2 rounds and after that I had 1 model dead and 2 almost dead twice with no words for cropped a bit. This crew's def abilities are almost useless. It was focus that gave some toughness for journalists - in 8 inches it's like crap with smart opponent even @anywhere in LOS I had 3-4 models gaining focus for interact, now it's 1-2 stacked in 1 small part of the board models. Maybe it's suggested to play on the table with no terrain and with opponent who didn't read Journalists cards?

I'm currently 3 turns in to a very slow Nellie v Zoraida game. Turf War. I think she's handling the scenario OK because all the debuffs and all the focus give me freedom to go toggle strategy markers, but the killing portion of the game so far has been a slow slap fight. First kill of the game just happened in turn 3. Part of that is we're using small probably strange crews since limited model selection and new players, but I think I'm starting to get how the crew works, and it's interesting, but I feel like she needs something faster. A little more damage may also be good, but fast feels like it fits the theme better. Admitted I'm not familiar with what versatile Models are in guild. If I seem way off base I probably just don't know what I'm talking about but hopefully beginner impressions are helpful, and I wanted to help test the crew that needed testing.

15 minutes ago, Terrordactyl said:

I'm currently 3 turns in to a very slow Nellie v Zoraida game. Turf War. I think she's handling the scenario OK because all the debuffs and all the focus give me freedom to go toggle strategy markers, but the killing portion of the game so far has been a slow slap fight. First kill of the game just happened in turn 3. Part of that is we're using small probably strange crews since limited model selection and new players, but I think I'm starting to get how the crew works, and it's interesting, but I feel like she needs something faster. A little more damage may also be good, but fast feels like it fits the theme better. Admitted I'm not familiar with what versatile Models are in guild. If I seem way off base I probably just don't know what I'm talking about but hopefully beginner impressions are helpful, and I wanted to help test the crew that needed testing.

Sounds fairly accurate. As the opponent that was what I found. Speed wise I didn't find any issues, the crew seemed around average speed with some neat mobility tricks on undercover reporters and field reporters. Damage wise that's not what the keyword is about. You could easily add it in with rider/emmisary/grimwell on top of Phiona if we're just looking at versatile. But that isn't what this keyword is for in the faction so adding it into the keyword will take away from what it actually should be which is your anti scheme/strat crew IMO 

24 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd Jamie said:

Sounds fairly accurate. As the opponent that was what I found. Speed wise I didn't find any issues, the crew seemed around average speed with some neat mobility tricks on undercover reporters and field reporters. Damage wise that's not what the keyword is about. You could easily add it in with rider/emmisary/grimwell on top of Phiona if we're just looking at versatile. But that isn't what this keyword is for in the faction so adding it into the keyword will take away from what it actually should be which is your anti scheme/strat crew IMO 

I would agree she dose not need to be focused towards damage, a slight adjustment across the crew with the recommended change to slander will give them a better feel I would say.

But all in all any changes should be to look at focusing her on movement/support/control not Damage. Bring back a variant of Delegation I would say as a ability to support models around her.

From what I can see from the battle reports and my own game. She seems like she would benefit from having the convulsion trigger on her One more question. Not built in but as a option on the crow to give her the ability to manipulate the board state, which would also aid her using her exclusive interview aura. 

• Agree 1