Kharnage

Weakest Master/Theme in Malifaux?

Rummaging through the cards, I'm having trouble finding a master/theme I don't feel like I could win with, which I think is a mark of a balanced game, but maybe I'm not seeing it from my black-blood covered lenses. Is there a master that we think is verifiably worse than the rest of the pack? Note that I'm talking about, staying in your own theme, doing your own thing, versatile models if necessary. Who is it? Your vote for worst master 2019?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kaeris. In m3e Kaeris was a weak damage dealer that became mediocre when all the stars aligned, with strong mobility tricks and a few powerful support abilities. Now she's just a bad damage dealer, and there are more stars to align to upgrade her to mediocre. Also a litterbug covering the battlefield in mostly harmless Pyre markers. Every master I can think of as being equivalent to Kaeris in some manner is simply better at everything else. As for the Wildfire crew, it's one of the smallest and most limited keywords there is, in particular having a grand total of two minions below cost seven. One of those is the Fire Gamin, notable for needing to set itself on fire to achieve the same dreadful resilience as it's cousins.

The other is the Firebranded, a boring static turret of a minion to go with the boring static turret of a master, and dependant on setting itself on fire to upgrade it's weak attacks to mediocre, which it then takes damage from. Also has a heal of comparable power to other heals, but dependant on setting the model you want to heal on fire to do anything at all. Honestly, I find it hard to justify not paying the extra SS to hire a Silent One out of keyword as a healer over one of these things. 

The other models are better, but few in number, and all high cost, and you have to go all the way up to cost 9 before you see a useful damage track.

• Like 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 5

1 hour ago, Dereikt said:

Kaeris

Good to know! I'm curious if others agree, but this does seem like a compelling argument. I'll run her next to see what I can make of her. Thank you for responding!

I had a game vs Kaeris yesterday with Titania, and the sheer amount of burning that crew handed out was just too much to handle. The gods of flips did not smile on me that day, but I think even with normal flips Kaeris is balanced enough for release atm.

• Agree 2

Kaeris is great and a very flexible crew with good mobility, some nice scheming tricks and decent damage. She has been my main in the beta and even though I think injured should have capped at -1 per duel (but all duels) it still makes for easy pickings for the rest of the crew.

McCabe's not in a great spot, but he's also got less models than anyone else which will hopefully be sorted out in wave 2

Ironsides in my opinion. Having a key word Grit only function when everyone bunched around 1 model when all the strategies promote spreading out.

then again part of me is wanting to ditch my beloved arcanists for ether TT or ressers

9 minutes ago, DamnDaemon said:

I heard that Tara is pretty bad right now, but since I just played against her once and never played her myself, I can't judge reliably. 

Void crew is not bad-bad, it's more like half of the card of Tara is useless, Aionus is overcosted for what he does (easily 2ss) and Void Wretches aren't in a good spot either.

But the crew works thanks to The Nothing Beast, Void Hunters and the versatile models. Scion of the Void is nice addition too, but it can end being situational.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hawkoon said:

I had a game vs Kaeris yesterday with Titania, and the sheer amount of burning that crew handed out was just too much to handle. The gods of flips did not smile on me that day, but I think even with normal flips Kaeris is balanced enough for release atm.

Did you use the assist action to just get rid of burning? What crew we're you running?

I have yet to win a game with Youko Hamasaki and I really don't understand how she is supposed to win games. She can (sometimes) distract the enemy crew and discard cards on the first two turns (or more depending on if schemes weren't revealed) but I don't see how her models are supposed to outscheme scheme runners who have leaps or ways of placing scheme markers for free, and I don't see how her beaters are supposed to win against models with more AP (with flurry, onslaught, and the like) that are tankier than they are.

I recently brought her in a game against Levi that was a 7VP-1VP blowout, which is not typical of M3E games. My opponent's models were faster/tankier/more threatening than all of mine, with the exception of Fuhatsu who is a versatile model. I know from batreps some people have won with her, but without fail I see their opponents making simple mistakes against her that savvy opponents will quickly learn to avoid, such as choosing to discard cards to stop Youko from gaining Pass Tokens from her Blackmail action (which is a terrible choice when it loses you cards and therefore gains her cards).

I may be wrong in my assessment and perhaps some people are having sustained success with her against opponents who have seen her tricks, but as it stands I'm worried she won't be at all competitive on release.

Kirai. She wasn't tested from closed beta and as far she is good in fun-games with beer and chips,

she will never see a good place in a tournament imo.

Evidently they know that Urami are, or they will be "appetizing" just for collectors or miniature artists.

Of course they think it's fair.

• Respectfully Disagree 2

20 minutes ago, TeddyBear said:

Kirai. She wasn't tested from closed beta and as far she is good in fun-games with beer and chips,

she will never see a good place in a tournament imo.

Evidently they know that Urami are, or they will be "appetizing" just for collectors or miniature artists.

Of course they think it's fair.

Urami is the strongest keyword in the faction.

It has summoning, pushes, incorporeal movement, vengeance, the shikome being some of the fastest scheme runners/hunters in the game, healing, and goryos hitting hard and great damage output across the crew.

The crew has everything barring card draw.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Kirai's nowhere near bad, if anything her "risky" summoning is too safe with all the heals she has access to.

• Agree 1

I've probably been too vocal about this, but Tormented is still the bottom feeder in both of its factions. 

Crooked men are vital to the crew (which is great) but can't get anywhere, die too easily, and are 7 stones a pop with Df4/Mv4.

3 Models in the crew are Mv4 for some reason with the fastest model in the crew being an insignificant totem.

No heals. 

Getting your models around on turn 1 usually involves min 2 dmg charges on your own models by your master while cheating in crows. You end up taking upgrades to get regeneration because you're  either mauling your own crew or watching it crawl.

Crippled by severe terrain.

Crippled by crews that generate pyre/underbrush/Ice Pillars etc.

Crippled by corner deployment (Seriously, try this)

Df4 everywhere.

Needs lots of in-keyword models to function due to the set-up nature of the crew, but needs out of keyword models to move around or heal, so hiring is an issue.

Guilty have no job.

Dead Outlaws don't fit in the crew.

In resser you have a Mortimer/Sloth tax, adding another Mv4 model that's staying behind to let the rest of the crew move. Have had to also hire Seamus/necropunks.

In outcast you have the Emissary tax. Have had to add Midnight Stalker often.

• Agree 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, DamnDaemon said:

Could you elaborate? After the update they at least sound far more interesting than before.

Interesting? Probably. But I think a team that revolves around 2" auras but doesn't have options to keep people in place doesn't sound like it will work.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Saduhem said:

Urami is the strongest keyword in the faction.

It has summoning, pushes, incorporeal movement, vengeance, the shikome being some of the fastest scheme runners/hunters in the game, healing, and goryos hitting hard and great damage output across the crew.

The crew has everything barring card draw.

I wouldn't say Urami are the strongest but they aren't bad at all. Still some room for improvement on a couple of models. Not really buffs just sorting actions out. Datsue could use guide spirit as a bonus or siphon power and Kirai could get by your side changed to something more useful and in theme imo 

6 hours ago, retnab said:

Kirai's nowhere near bad, if anything her "risky" summoning is too safe with all the heals she has access to.

She uses wounds for summons and keeping adversary so it balances out. Her only defensive ability relies on cards which are at a huge premium in the crew so if she couldn't balance the wds she's taking she'd be screwed. It's definitely not too safe as without the heals she just doesn't work but I don't think the keyword is in a bad place 

4 minutes ago, Flippin' Wyrd Jamie said:

I wouldn't say Urami are the strongest but they aren't bad at all. Still some room for improvement on a couple of models. Not really buffs just sorting actions out. Datsue could use guide spirit as a bonus or siphon power and Kirai could get by your side changed to something more useful and in theme imo 

She uses wounds for summons and keeping adversary so it balances out. Her only defensive ability relies on cards which are at a huge premium in the crew so if she couldn't balance the wds she's taking she'd be screwed. It's definitely not too safe as without the heals she just doesn't work but I don't think the keyword is in a bad place 

There's a regeneration +2 upgrade. That takes a lot of the risks out of window.

11 hours ago, Kolath said:

Did you use the assist action to just get rid of burning? What crew we're you running?

Yes I did. I also had Eldrich magic on an autum knight that worked well enough.

If I remember correctly the crews were the following:

Neverborn

Titania w/ Inhuman reflexes

Gorar

Aeslin

Effigy w/ Effigy of Fate

Autumn Knight w/ Eldrich Magic

Autumn Knight w/ Ancient Pact

Bultungin

Bultungin

Arcanists

Kaeris

"Totem"

Firestarter

Envy

Iggy

Fire Golem

Carlos

Saboteur w/ magical training

The combination of pyre markers giving burning and injured as well as being able to move them about with Kaeris, delt out injured and burning across a lot of my crew and I just didn't have enough actions to remove enough with assist and dispel magic. The fact that Misery from Iggy triggered every time a model within 8" gained burning was also quite powerful. (even though it's changed to 6" now)