matt

What Needs A FAQ?

Hey Everyone,

Occasionally, there does come a question about a game interaction that while the answer does exist it could come from other complicated interactions and explaining it on a card would be an unreasonable amount of text, thus we have the official FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

This thread is for all of you to let us know what questions you think require a FAQ in order to set the record straight. 

First a couple of rules:

• Do not post direct questions in this thread, instead, link to a post on the forum discussing the question in detail.
  • Do not open a new thread and link to it here. This should only be for Frequently Asked Questions... i.e. if you're making a thread for it; it's not frequently asked.
  • Do not argue or chat in this thread. That's for other places. This is to compile potential FAQ questions.
  • When posting, please be specific about what needs to be addressed.
  • Do not post links to typos or errors, as we have another thread to consolidate all of that information.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The question in mind is regarding a half health Duet becoming two full health Coryphee, and that the Duet can activate, do its thing, break apart, then have the other Coryphee activate, merge again, and have the Duet do its thing.

• Agree 2

Rules seem to spell it out pretty well, but there's been a few threads asking if the attack after the Charge action is part of the Charge action or not, so probably worth clarifying in an FAQ

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, ShinChan said:

Go to the end, the problem with scion of the void and the scheme markers. 

It also applies to Rasputina and Bandersnatch and was discussed here

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/143828-scionbandersnatch-and-scheme-marker-placing/

and here

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/143761-raspy-ice-mirror-interact/

Hi All, great idea and I appreciate the topic. I have been playing for about a month. The hardest part for some new players like myself is understanding conditions and examples of HOW to actually strategize and use them. On page 11 of the latest manual you guys added a fantastic example of how a duel works. This is fantastic and shows a real world example. These samples get burned into the brain much easier for some folks.

To use Reva as an example..her Pyre Markers..it would be wonderful of a sample HOW TO USE and be effective during a game. It would also be great to understand how it affects friendlies..etc. A simple one sheeter (or even a half sheeter) for the 11 conditions and real world examples would be so helpful for us newbs. 

Thank you again! I wish you all the best and absolutely LOVE Malifaux. Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

Hey Again!

Another great idea would be perhaps some Adjectives to assist players becoming  more effective in planning Strategies and Schemes..

It would be so cool to flip to the back and see things like "Turf War- Effective Crew Type - Fast, Fliers, Strong D" 

To have some information for us newbs on what you would want to run for each of the Strategies and then to be able to Cross Reference that with Schemes you may want to run would be incredible.

In a sense, use somewhat of a Keyword system but not just for hiring but for planning. Since I am sure you all are locking down printing space perhaps these keywords could be on the digital format. 

This will speed up the hiring process as well for us scrubs. 

• Like 2

What does "Moving through" e.g. a hazardous marker constitute? As a WM/H player, for me that meant "start outside, enter, leave, finish outside", while in Malifaux terms it, as far as I understand, means both that and "starts inside and leaves".

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure this fits here, but I would request a video demonstration of the shadow rule.

I appreciate the effort put into the picture call outs in the manual, but they are hard to follow. (new to the forum, hopefully this is what you want for links to threads)

I think seeing the shadow rule applied in 3d space would help people work through some confusion.

How does “unaffected “ relate to gaining concealment or other abilities related to what you are unaffected by?  For instance Waldgeists are “unaffected” by underbrush. Does a waldgeist gain concealment for standing in undebrush, which is concealing terrain? Or is it unaffected and therefore not concealed. Will it heal if standing in underbrush?

i personally think the intent is clear, and that my model walks and sees through underbrush, but heals and gains concealment normally. But it spawned a long thread.  

• Agree 1

Control and Engagement.  If a friendly model is engaging an enemy model and the enemy model is Obeyed can the Obeyed model interact.  No.  Because it is still engaged.  The only option is to first disengage.

An enemy model is engaged by a friendly model.  The enemy model is Obeyed.   Being what models are friendly to each does not change the Obeyed model even though is controlled by a player still cannot charge, use projectile attacks, or interact because it is still engaged.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:12 AM, trikk said:

Auras are still causing problems. To be more precise, the same aura which affects its bearer, being carried by multiple bearers but overlapping a single target, is causing confusion.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Hey Guys,

I don't find in the ME3 Terrifying. 

Works terrifying like Me2 for the frist Attack or has the opponent to test for each attack?

Can you give me an Hint? I found nothing in the rule book.

Thanks 

Michael

35 minutes ago, Black Nacho said:

Hey Guys,

I don't find in the ME3 Terrifying. 

Works terrifying like Me2 for the frist Attack or has the opponent to test for each attack?

Can you give me an Hint? I found nothing in the rule book.

Thanks 

Michael

Terryfying does exactly what it says on the card. Each time you attack a terryfying model you test your Wp or the action fails.

There are no general rules, no paralyze etc.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:41 AM, Specky said:

Hi all, 

played my first game of M3E on the weekend Rasputina vs. Sonia. We played plant explosives and I took Vendetta and Dig Graves. I was pretty happy with the crew but just wanted to get some clarity on the Wendigo's December's Pawn ability:

"... this model takes that chosen action with a stat of 4." Now does this include built in suits? For example if i use Rasputina's Ice Pillar ability do I get the built in tome but with a stat of 4? Or is it a naked 4? If it is the former perhaps keep similar wording to the M2E card with "take this action at stat -2" or add a sentance to clarify the built in suits are retained. It'd be good if Wendigo could use Snowstorm's Shockwave too somehow but she'd need to have ice mirror too (which i don't think would be that big a deal and would be keeping in theme).

Next question regarding ice pillars and models with the Demolitionist ability: i assume that this model also gains slow at the same time the model demolishes e ice pillar? Or is it one of those controlling player resolves actions at the same time in whichever order they choose. I.e. Soulstone minor activates next to ice pillar and blows it up prior to having to take the slow hit.

I will say just one final thing regarding Blessed of December and Hoarcat Pride. I was building a crew and compared the two side by side. There seems more than a 2ss gap between the two models. I think the hoarcat is priced too high if you compare it to an ice gamin. Ended up taking the Blessed and it was pretty good who perhaps is undercosted. Only played the one game but she was a standout.

Overall I enjoyed the crew and used the shockwave Freeze Over a bunch of times to punish some hard to wound models hiding in a forest. 6" range on the shockwave was kind of a pain.

Specifically my question is a timing issue regarding to a model with Demolitionist front of card ability activating within 1" of Rasputina's ice pillar. Both rules require something to happen when the model activates - so perhaps options are:

A) the model gains slow and demolishes the pillar but the controlling player can resolve both in any order they wish (however if they blow up the pillar first then the model still takes slow afterwards as the conditions were met when it activated to gain slow)

B) the controlling player has to resolves two simultaneous items in any order first blowing up the ice pillar. Then it moves on to resolution of the pillar - but wait? No more pillar so nothing happens. Does not gain slow.

C) when two rules directly contradict each other the rule that prevents something from happening takes precedence over the thing that is happening. I don't see a direct contradiction here so I'm not sure this applies.

D) something else I'm not seeing

On 2/24/2019 at 6:06 PM, Specky said:

From the rule book p14 i assume you're reading the final sentance in place:

"If a model begins or ends a Place effect in terrain (pg. @@), it counts as having moved through that terrain."

An ice pillar is impassible so you can't begin 'in terrain.' So in this case starting in B2B I'd say does not allow you to bring it along.

Scheme marker is not terrain either so nothing in the rules to tell us explicitly what to do here. Regardless, I think if you were standing on the scheme marker you'd count as be 'through it' for the purposes of ice skating. Having thought about this further i think i agree that if ice dancer was standing on a scheme marker, being placed off it and then that to have counted as 'moved through' after all.

It's probably worth discussing and agreeing with your opponent before the game. It's a bit weird.

My question specifically is if a model was standing on/in a marker, such as a scheme marker or a pyre marker, and then that model is placed somewhere else, does it count as having 'moved through' the marker for abilities such as the Ice Dancer's Ice Skating ability?

More generally if the marker is height 0", is a model partially standing on it considered to be on top of it or within it? Is there a difference?

1 hour ago, Specky said:

Specifically my question is a timing issue regarding to a model with Demolitionist front of card ability activating within 1" of Rasputina's ice pillar. Both rules require something to happen when the model activates - so perhaps options are:

A) the model gains slow and demolishes the pillar but the controlling player can resolve both in any order they wish (however if they blow up the pillar first then the model still takes slow afterwards as the conditions were met when it activated to gain slow)

B) the controlling player has to resolves two simultaneous items in any order first blowing up the ice pillar. Then it moves on to resolution of the pillar - but wait? No more pillar so nothing happens. Does not gain slow.

C) when two rules directly contradict each other the rule that prevents something from happening takes precedence over the thing that is happening. I don't see a direct contradiction here so I'm sure this applies.

D) something else I'm not seeing

B seems the most convincing as we avoid creating stacks of things to resolve.