2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Caedrus

On 3/3/2019 at 8:17 PM, Viruk said:

I solve this problem by adding small pieces of GS to where I want the model to stand (obviously that takes some dry-fitting to find the best position).

Interesting solution I'd like to try on myself.

Usually I do the opposite thing: I finish painting the base and the model, then I glue (with superglue) a small sphere of GS to the model, usually under model's feet. I wet the GF again with superglue, then I press the model against the base. Most ot time I have to finish the glueing spots with some paints to mask the GS; then, as a final touch, I use some homemade painted powder (some simple sand painted with acrilyc  paints***) all around the glueing spots.

***: I use old pills/caps blister filled with sand and I mix it with the a water solution of the desired paint. I let it all to dry. Then I get a sort of pill out ot the blister and I reduce it to powder by pressing it under a botthe or other dedicated tool.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Purple Mist said:

Indeed looking better than most of finished models of mine!  :(

Don't be so hard on yourself 😉.....if you look back over the contributions that everyone has posted over the last couple of years it's easy to see a clear improvement in the standard of everybody's painting....you included😉

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@prof_bycid I'm impressed from the story of your goat! .... and I'm not the only one.   A starship appeared in the sky and when it landed a strange cat jumped out of it searching for your goat.

CFS.jpg

IMG-20190308-WA0003.jpg

The cat from the space  is eating grass, just as goats...... All that is very strange because all cats I know do not eat grass, they smoke it!

• Haha 7

@Nikodemus, and @Burnin' Coal thanks for the kind words. :) And Coal, I did run into that issue with the paint. I was surprised because a lot of people said it was supposed to go on smooth, but I had to water it down quite a bit, especially the Tesla blue. In any case though I should be wrapping up the third warped today which means I should be finished with my pledge for the month!

@Chou nicely done! I love the highlighting on it.

@prof_bycid looking good as well! 

On a separate topic I'm running out of shows to watch, Anyone have a new shows to recommend? Netflix just put out a bunch of new stuff recently.

• Thanks 1

A mid-March update!

I pledged a farm. To begin, I had to harvest synthetic fur guarded by a fiercome beast. "Sssso you wanna steal my precioussss? Ssssso sssssoft!"

PrvpjZz.jpg

Things seemed hopeless, but the beast left to feast on her dinner, so I could sneakily cut off a bit of fur and use it for a thatched roof!
(The farm is a TTCombat building with some added texture, balsa wood and spare bits.)

r7hiDc7.jpg

Since the farmer needs to seel his wares and I need some scatter terrain, I made a town market:

7EE4fhm.jpg

I really love making terrain, so much faster than minis. Especially since I got myself Agrax Earthshade. That thing is magic in a bottle!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Here's my 8SS for march, the Midnight Stalker finished!

Tried to give him this moonlight effect i was looking for, I'm not sure I got it right, but I don't think I got it completely wrong either... :D

G0rK2Tu.jpg

u6pp4lB.jpg

KdPc4gN.jpg

My usual assistant helped with this mini too:

NLnriaQ.jpg

@Caedrus before I began I checked again Spiraling Cadaver's blog again, and I truly didn't dare to try it for this mini, I'll try it in the future with a light effect i feel more confortable with, but what i found out is that he's the guy who painted the most amazing mr graves that I've already seen in the past when researching for OSL for my Soul Porter, truly stunning light knowledge 👏

• Like 9

A quick job for these boys, 2 Whisky Gamin (8 SS) so far. With a sneak peek of a hot dude I hope to get finished this month
(if you're thinking 'you lazy bugger, all your paint jobs are rush jobs - you're right! But I still have about 20% of my Mali models to paint, Goliath, Escher, Delaque and Cultist gangs to paint and a bunch of Burrows and Badgers minis to get through too. And those are my excuses!)

img_6708.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Diddick said:

Here's my 8SS for march, the Midnight Stalker finished!

Tried to give him this moonlight effect i was looking for, I'm not sure I got it right, but I don't think I got it completely wrong either... :D

Think he looks great. Definitely got that night-time feel to him with the cool tones and deep-shadows.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting this sort of thing just right. In reality things rarely look good under weak lighting so it's more about giving that impression while keeping things interesting, and I think you've done that very well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Omg, everyone's smashing it out wirh lots of work, fantastic! Makes my pledge for the month of a single reaper hangman's noose and small dock as a terrain piece seem under par.

Picture posted soon. Not sure I'll get any more time for painting stretch goals but will see. Good work everyone

• Like 2

@Chou Very clean work on Santiago there. I dig it.

@prof_bycid I'm into the mottled muddy look. It definitely looks like he just crawled out of a swamp! I think all the color variation is causing the model to lose some definition though, especially in the right arm. The strong blacklining defines the model's various parts (back fin, tail sections, between the toes, etc.) well - it's just the more subtle variations that get lost.

@PetitDalek I envy your terrain-making ability. :) Looks fantastic.

@Diddick That high-contrast approach is really working for you, especially on the front of the model. I think you could use more color on the back, where the texture is smoother and light will diffuse more across the surfaces of his coat. The back of his shawl mantle thing also looks under-highlighted to me compared to the front, but maybe that's just the photo.

As for me...well, here's my WIP photo.

IMG-3049.jpg

Yup, that's Miss Deed head-down in a jar of Simple Green following an abysmal skintone start. Been a while since I've needed to do that...her base is fine though, so I'm keeping that safe and dry. :P

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, misterfinn said:

@Diddick That high-contrast approach is really working for you, especially on the front of the model. I think you could use more color on the back, where the texture is smoother and light will diffuse more across the surfaces of his coat. The back of his shawl mantle thing also looks under-highlighted to me compared to the front, but maybe that's just the photo.

Thanks for the comments!  The truth is I still struggle when it comes to big surfaces... and i was afraid i'd make the back of the coat too bright, so I rather preferred to keep it darker than it should be