2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Caedrus

@Rathnard - I like the gritty look of the models, it works nicely with pink portals.

@emiba - nice work on all minis, the sickly purplish skin tone works really well. I'd only suggest adding a light brown wash on the pupils and teeth as this will make them blend in with the rest better.

@Franchute - totally dig the super smooth highlights and color choices on these, great job!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Stranglelove said:

@Rathnard I love your style. Man, those models really are some of the best Wyrd has ever put out.

What are you working on next?

Thanks @Stranglelove. :) I'm really enjoying painting my Cult - they're just phenomenal sculpts. 

Next on the list are my Twisted Horrors. I've mostly painted one but I'm not sure about it yet. I'm sorry of at that point where i have to decide if i try a different scheme, or stick with what i have and go with the rest.

@Caedrus thats actually a huge compliment for me. I absolutely love 80's greenskins. Orks were my first minis and although that era's skin was painted stupidly bright, I've always preferred it over the muted variations of paint jobs that came after, so thank you very much!

Hopefully this month ill learn to take pics a bit better aswell and retake pics so the details are more discernible 

• Like 1

@Franchute Bottles are really tricky because they're translucent. If you do the sensible thing and do a green or brown mostly-opaque bottle (as you've done), the big thing that separates it from metal is the reflections. Bottles are hard and reflective but they have depth so they're not fully reflective. Pictures in lieu of 1000 words, glass on the left and chrome on the right:

beer-bottles.jpgchrome-bottle.jpg

So, the glass has one hard reflection in the direction of the light source, while the metal reflects everything around it. So decide where your highlight is, paint a hard stripe there, and then make your other highlights/reflections very diffuse. Does that help?

@Burnin' Coal Five miniatures of that quality during a "hectic month"...wow. The majority of your blends are super smooth and the rest have their highlights positioned so well that it doesn't matter. I can't imagine how you produce that many models at that quality level in a limited time. Wish I could watch you paint. ;) The basing is tasty too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Caedrus said:

@Kimberly & @Purple Mist: I'll be ordering some colour change paints today. You've convinced me.

I'm very happy with paints by GreenStuffWorld. When using Colourshif paints I strongly recommend GSW Black GLOSS Primer: it's a powerfull enhancer for colourshift effects. I just start experimenting with GSW washes: they are perfect on metal colours, penetrate in recess without dotting surface; I got the impression they are water base with addition of some alcool.

56 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

@Purple Mist would you say that there's a difference between some random black primer and GSW Black Matt Primer?

Sorry for the mistake: you must use GWS GLOSS Black Primer

Colourshift paints need a black primed surface to work and as far as I can understand the shadeshifting is determine by reflection of light. Now a black primed surface is a sort of black hole for light reflection. Using a gloss primer you get an improved reflection resulting from glossy.

We can ask @Kimberly for details about primer she used as a base for GSW Colourshift paints.

Anyway, it's true here we can see just photos and things are very differnt live where,moving the object or the osserver POV you can apreciate the full colourshift.

I approached GSW Colourshift paints when I bought some ships from TTCombat Dropfleet Commander and I was looking for a quick and effective way to paint them. Some other guys at the local shops bough their fleet too and a couple of them bought GSW Colourshift paints too. Unfortunately no one of them painted the minis so far. I have not a live comparison of GSW Colourshift Painted models from different hands and using different trick and base coats.