2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Caedrus

Caedrus, checking in!

Well, it's getting towards the end of March. We've seen one Mouse, one dog, and many, many cats. I've updated the spreadsheet, but please do let me know if I've made any errors. Life has been a touch hectic for me, and errors do creep in.

If you have yet to finalise your pledge, I'd love an update, preferably with an "@Caedrus".

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. The quality of the painting I'm seeing is just remarkable. I'd absolutely love to see some of these miniatures on the table.

So, onto the enormous, nearly-the-end-of-the-month update! A gentle reminder that this is the cutoff month for those yet to take part. If this is you, and you don't submit, you're still very, very welcome to show us what you're painting. Everyone is welcome here.

@Aa7: Any March Updates?

@Athiko: Do you have a March update? The Munsters could also be a good theme. Less popular TV series, but still easily achieved. I’m working on a themed Ressers crew right now, in fact…

@bedjy: How’s the diorama going? Any March pledge? I’ve updated your February pledge to 44SS.

@Boomstick: 33SS to date for March, 68SS for the year, after February’s brialliantly-contrasty Bokor. I adore the contrast on Talos/Killjoy, and indeed the yellow, overall. I can’t imaging how many coats that required! I’m a big fan of your saturated colours.

@Burnin' Coal: What have you been up to this month? I have you at 75SS for the year to date, after February’s unified and gorgeous TOS set.

@Chou: 14SS for PapaLoco and Santiago this March, taking you to 66 for the year, after February’s Rail Workers, Emissary and Emberling. Oh, and should I lower your pledge to Henchman (11SS / Month) or Master (16SS/month), or can you find another 2SS for the month?

@Diddick: 8SS for March, 33SS for the year to date. I’m loving the Midnight Stalker. Diddick mentioned the relative highlighting; it’s always hard for the viewer to see how the painter has visualised the light sources, if they’re ‘off-miniature’. When I do my Stalker, I’m going to try airbrushing. Fingers crossed. Yours is beautiful.

@emiba: Your Ikyrio is worth 5 SS by itself, as zero-point minis are worth 5SS. I’m glad that you and yours are safe after the drama in Christchurch, and I’m ashamed that the perpetrator was an Australian. There was always a great community spirit in Christchurch. I enjoyed trawling through their shipping-container bookshops. Feel better soon, and let me know your March total when you can!

@Franchute: 14SS for March, 30SS in total (I added in your beautiful Samael). Ryle’s muscular definition is magnificent. Really evocative, and just reddish enough to suit Ryle’s cyborg nature. A big fan of your circular-lighting-gradient bases as well on Mouse (and others).

@Gertz: I don’t think we’ve seen any miniatures yet from you this year (unless I’ve missed something, which is possible)! If you’d like to continue with the Challenge, you have just a few days to show off your painting skills!

@Hawkoon: I don’t think we’ve seen any miniatures yet from you this year (unless I’ve missed something, which is possible)! If you’d like to continue with the Challenge, you have just a few days to show off your painting skills!

@khilin: Any March Updates?

@Kimberly: Any March updates?

@LordZombie: Any updates on your March promise? I’ve updated your February to 24SS (40SS for the year to date).

@lusciousmccabe: 22SS for March, 48SS total. A technique I’ve used for shallow-hair-sculpts is to do a shadow coat to begin, then use the side of the brush, loaded with thicker paint, for the base colour. Then a thinner, less-loaded brush (again, on the side of the bristles) for highlighting. For eyes, I often suggest the Bette Davis Eyes article. Loving that Queeg. I think he’s one of those simple, well-sculpted minis that look wonderful when done simply, which is exactly what you did. Simple and menacing. Loving the non-traditional Sonnia as well.

@Maxooo: Any March Updates?

@misterfinn: Any March updates? I’ve added your 5SS Jake to February, bringing your 2019 total to 11SS. I’m loving Miss Deed’s trompe l'oeil abdomen. Very, very nice effect. Mind you, I’ll automatically like anything that even uses the phrase trompe l'oeil! I used to hate larger fabric surfaces. Now I make my airbrush do the work. I have to say, I think your fleshtones are really world-class.

@Mooseyfaux: I don’t think we’ve seen any miniatures yet from you this year (unless I’ve missed something, which is possible)! If you’d like to continue with the Challenge, you have just a few days to show off your painting skills!

@muraki: 49SS for March, 172SS in total. The colours you’ve used are super-saturated and bright. Very vibrant and alive.

@Nikodemus: 9SS for March, 46SS total. Jorogumo looks superb. I love the lava joints, I love the red/black contrast, I appreciate the patience it takes to do 6,341 tiny parallel lines for the carapace. Most of all, I love the fact that you got the blighter onto the base!

@OctaBit: Any end-of-month updates on your lovely Warped?

@PetitDalek: 58SS for March, 73SS in total (I’ve updated February with 30SS of Poltergeists and pretty animals!). For the buildings, I think 50SS (10x50mm base-equivalent) would be fair. How’s that sound to you? The Molly/Asura looks like the sculpt had not very deep facial features. You’ve done a great job with it.

@Phinn: I don’t think we’ve seen any miniatures yet from you this year (unless I’ve missed something, which is possible)! If you’d like to continue with the Challenge, you have just a few days to show off your painting skills!

@Pierzasty: I don’t think we’ve seen any miniatures yet from you this year (unless I’ve missed something, which is possible)! If you’d like to continue with the Challenge, you have just a few days to show off your painting skills!

@Polar43: Will we see another last-minute pledge for March? I’ve added your 17SS for February’s Whisky Robots, bringing your 2019 total to 38SS!

@Primate: What do you have for March? I’ve updated February with your 21SS of Punk Zombies. With regard to layering, Reaper paint triads make the process quite a lot easier until it ‘clicks’ for you. It might be worth trying a few. It seems like not a lot of painters use Reaper stuff, but I like it!

@prof_bycid: 7SS for March, 19SS total, after February’s Hoarcats. The silurid is wonderfully sickening. If you use a water-effects, you can get some really nice slim effects. Combine it with fishing line to get some wonderful spraying slime!

@Purple Mist: A fantastically simple and useful pledge this month. I really, really have to do something similar, soon. Also, very cute cat.

@Rathnard: I don’t think we’ve seen any miniatures yet from you this year (I know you started later)! If you’d like to continue with the Challenge, you have just a few days to show off your painting skills! Show us something pink!

@Rikk I don’t think we’ve seen any miniatures yet from you this year (unless I’ve missed something, which is possible)! If you’d like to continue with the Challenge, you have just a few days to show off your painting skills!

@salisterro: Any March Updates? I have you down as Mulliganing in February. Is that correct?

@Scatterbrain: What do you have for March? I’ve added February’s 3SS of Mobile Toolkit, putting you at 7SS for 2019.

@Sol_Sorrowsong: I’ve updated your February to 18SS (34SS for the year to date). What do you have for March?

@Spanky: Any March Updates? I have you down as Mulliganing in February. Is that correct?

@Stranglelove: I’ve made your March total 170SS, to bring your total to the new (retroactive) TOS value of 195SS. The soft pastels of the Cronenbergs are lovely. The pale green is really pleasing. Also, you managed to portray the heat emanation from the Rhino really effectively.

@Thedeadclaw: What do you have for us in March? Can you beat your February efforts of 189SS?

@Viruk: 16SS for March (I put Cherry Bomb in March), 86SS total. Sorry to hear about losing a pet. I’ve been there. It sucks. Any chance of getting some water from Poland sent to me in Australia? I reckon there’s something in the water that makes all the Polish painters so fantastic! Love the tiny, tiny Jackalope.

@wobbly_goggy: 21SS for March, 29SS total. In a month of cats, great to see a beautiful woofy! The saturated tan of Luna looks really nice. Great contrast. Your Golem looks really fearsome (albeit from the view of a potato-quality camera!)

Whew!

I'll be opening the April thread very shortly. Until then, keep putting pigment to plastic, and let me know your final March pledge!

Caedrus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Good news, everyone! I do not have to eat my hat... this month that is :D

@Caedrus, I have finished the Malifaux Rat only yeasterday something after 10 PM. Later today I will post some photos :)
And yes, unfortunately, that is actually the first mini I have finished this year. I have already started working on the next though :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Caedrus said:

@Chou: 14SS for PapaLoco and Santiago this March, taking you to 66 for the year, after February’s Rail Workers, Emissary and Emberling. Oh, and should I lower your pledge to Henchman (11SS / Month) or Master (16SS/month), or can you find another 2SS for the month?

Hi @Caedrus! No, no, I have finished Perdita and Francisco too, I only need to upload the pictures (will do tonight!). I was waiting for the new Green Stuff cracking painting to arrive to do the bases, but will upload them and when they arrive I'll post the updates. 

@Caedrus I've been working on the TOS stormsiren since that has shown up recently, otherwise I have Sandeep's crew that I've been needing to finish continuing from January's SVGs.  I should finish the paintjob on the siren tonight I believe and will then tackle some gamin or perhaps Banasuva depending on how much time I can scrape out in the next day or so!  All cool models, but with the TOS appearing, they might be showing up more in the next few months.

@Caedrus Coming down to the wire per usual. :P I'll be done by the deadline though!

@Stranglelove That's a sweet-looking crew (or whatever they're called in TOS). I especially like the color work you've done on the monsters. Your leader guy looks comparatively under-highlighted - maybe it's just the picture. Overall though I wouldn't be surprised if you took home some "best painted" awards from your TOS tourneys!

@bedjy WOW. Speechless.

@Kimberly Pretty indeed! The colorshift paint looks spectacular. I'm impressed with your attention to detail on all the pieces.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, misterfinn said:

@Stranglelove That's a sweet-looking crew (or whatever they're called in TOS). I especially like the color work you've done on the monsters. Your leader guy looks comparatively under-highlighted - maybe it's just the picture. Overall though I wouldn't be surprised if you took home some "best painted" awards from your TOS tourneys!

Thank you, that's so kind! I believe the photo of my leader is washed out, but it was tricky to highlight him and I was probably more subtle than I should have been.

20 hours ago, Caedrus said:

@Purple Mist: A fantastically simple and useful pledge this month. I really, really have to do something similar, soon. Also, very cute cat.

Thanks..... my cat apreciate! ;)

Looking to next month I'm inspired to try a simplier pledge...... Anyway if you have to built an house you have to prepare bricks as a first thing!

I'm going after a new, flexible and versatile gaming table. So I'll be boring you all with quite obvious pledges for sometime long.