2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Caedrus

12 hours ago, Nikodemus said:

Queeg does have a "dark Gomez" look to him, yes. Even looks ready to start whipping Lurch:D

This got me thinking about an Addams Family project using wyrd minis

Queeg as Gomez, Montresor as Lurch, Amelia Bathory as Morticia, cut off the side hair and Governors Proxy as Fester, Datsu Ba as Grandma, 1st ed Candy as Wednesday and not sure about Pugsley... 

Left hand of the flesh construct as Thing!!!

• Like 3

@Athiko I've seen one in the past. Couldn't find it here with a quick forum search. I think I've seen it here. Facebook too, if you're in A Wyrd Place. Worth a search, bloody well painted that was.

@Kimberly Mysterious!

___

Progress! Finished the grey spider bit. Non-grey details on the spider bit still utter WIP of course. And everything else. But still, good progress done mostly today. Need to check some tutorials and reference material before I can keep working rest of the mini.

pic4643614.jpgpic4643615.jpg

• Like 8

My Silurid is done for 7 SS in March.  I may come back and gloss coat it later to give a more slimy feel, not sure.  That is the same model, but it has a really different feel from this angle.  

large.2019March_Silurid_3_done.jpg.2639f5ab0a8744d178c17c30f2eeeea9.jpg

In other painting news, I just this week I discovered necron compound---I wish I had known about this stuff before.  My House Escher and Brotherhood of Steel models are really forging ahead quickly now.

• Like 9

Eyes... I do them if I do them. No trick. Just a sharp #3 and a bit of flow aid. And do them first! Easier that way I find, you can be a bit messy painting them. Just paint neatly around the eyes afterwards.

For hair I like to draw very fine lines to imitate sculpted hair texture.

Quality brush helps in both instances:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

What do people usually do for hair on the Malifaux plastics? The detail is so shallow I'm finding edge highlighting impractical and the threads are too fine to line or wash effectively.

I only edge highlight the hair if there's lots of it, usually just base coat, wash and then bring up the prominent areas with a few lighter shade highlights. Then add a bit of shine where the light would hit

Eyes I only do if their a reasonable size, otherwise i just put a bit of purple wash in the sockets. Glowing eyes I find a lot easier as you can come out of the lines. To be honest though I'm just painting to put on the table where you never really see they eyes anyway

• Thanks 1

I started working on Fitz some days ago. I've only set some basic colours so far and have the base more or less done. Here is a WIP picture:

82-FDCF90-3-E03-4383-BCEF-1-FE2-D1-AA788

Hopefully I'll manage to finish him by the end of the month.

@Caedrus the smooth transitions on the acolytes are pretty nice. I remember when you started working on one last year I believe, when you started using an airbrush. Are these transitions on the cloth done 100% with an airbrush? Or did you use a normal brush as well?

• Like 4

At the risk of OT: Is anyone from the challenge going to be at Adepticon this weekend? I'll be there Saturday to check out the dealers' room so I thought it'd be fun to hook up for a refreshing beverage if any of my fellow painters will be around.

Now, back on topic:

@Franchute Any chance we could get another picture of Mouse? This one's a bit out of focus so it's hard to see the detail. Ryle's brushwork is really solid. I like the texture and color you've achieved for his base as well - how'd you do it? I see water effects and tufts and maybe sand in there?

@Nikodemus That's some disturbing texture - I like the fact that you've gone the tarantula/wolf spider route and not the shiny, smooth carapace as sculpted. Nice gap filling on the abdomen too, that must've been a pain.

@Caedrus Love the cloaks. +1 to Franchute's question about airbrush vs. normal brush.

• Thanks 1

@misterfinn Thanks for the kind words. I'll try to get a better picture of Mouse. I wasn't particularly proud of the paint job to be honest but I'll do it. Maybe there is a reason the picture is a bit out of focus ;) 

For Ryle base, it is a simple recipe. I first painted the base in a dark green (GW Caliban green in particular). Then I pasted some tufts and sand here and there. Then I used @Viruk's mixture of GW Nurgle's Rot and Vallejo Still water. I may have put two or three coats (you have to wait each coat to dry before applying the next one, i.e. it is a simple recipe but it is not quick). Each coat has in proportion more still water than the previous one. Finally I put a pure coat of still water.

• Thanks 2

Hi guys, I haven't been very vocal this month as beta testing and organizing an escalation league to bring new players has eaten up most of my time. (And being in constant pain has eaten much of my mental energy.) This has also made me change my pledge to Ikiryo and an Onryo (as that's what I've been painting for the league). They're not done but I think I'll manage before the end of the month.

large.IMG_20190319_211242.jpg.a6bf20c88eee16135ca4664ccc69a91c.jpglarge.IMG_20190326_072929.jpg.d7fd6f1a73235782f755abfd8f19346f.jpg

I apologize for not offering up any opinions or specific praise at this moment but I just don't have the mental fortitude at the moment. I'm really impressed with everyone's progress though, it's very inspirational and motivating!

Edit: Aaaand l just realized that Ikyrio is 0 points in M2E... FML. 😝 Maybe I'll have time to paint up a Seishin...

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Franchute said:

@emiba Ikiryo and Onryo look very promising. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I hope everything is good for you in Christchurch and things are not as ugly as the news suggest. Between an earthquake and the recent stuff, it doesn't sound like any city!

I´m fine but was locked in at work for a few hours while things were unfolding. Not sure what they're showing abroad, but yeah, New Zealand is pretty small, someone figured out that someone shooting 50 people is the same percentage as someone shooting 3344 people in the US. People from all walks off life are rallying to show support though and for the most part, (apart from the act of terror itself and a few other ugly displays of intolerance) the aftermath has been a display of hope.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, emiba said:

Edit: Aaaand l just realized that Ikyrio is 0 points in M2E... FML. 😝 Maybe I'll have time to paint up a Seishin...

IIRC we decided to let folks pick their edition w/r/t points. I'm using 3e costs for my pledges.

Glad you're (mostly) OK amidst the troubles - hope things improve for you quickly.

• Thanks 1

@Franchute and @misterfinn: For the Acolyte cloaks, I started with airbrushing. Because I don't yet have the control of the airbrush that I'd like, I tend to do a lot if my airbrushing by doing light sprays, tangentially across the surface of the figure. This helps protect the deeper creases. My highlights are not yet quite as fine as I'd like. More practice required.

I then try glazing colour transition areas, to smooth them out, or to get a touch more recess contrast.

If you haven't tried an airbrush, you really should. It's not a universal tool, but with surprisingly little practice, you can get really pleasing results.

If you haven't watched the YouTube painting videos by "Buypainted", I found them helpful.