2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - March

Caedrus

19 hours ago, Viruk said:

This month has been quite difficult for me as I had to have one of my cats put down this Monday. Tough loss as he used to be my most loyal painting companion :( Added to that I'm taking antibiotics for the second time in a month...

I'm sorry for your cat. I have the same problem: after the flu, I'm at the second antibiotic cycle but my cought is not giving a truce.... a thing that does not help painting!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@Viruk Sorry to hear about the cat and your ill-health. Good to see it's only brought your output down to "well above average" in terms of quantity and the quality is as good as usual.

@Purple Mist Your sick too? Is it catching, should we put a warning at the top of the thread? 😀

Nice job on the ware piles. Particularly like how you used the darker wood colours to break to he pieces up. I have the same set and they're a bit too uniform the way I did them.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I have the same set and they're a bit too uniform the way I did them.

Thanks.

The only trouble I noticed with this set are the spots where barrels, crates and sacks melt each other. I tried to mask the issue using a very dark paint to give the idea of a shadow eating any detail.

@PetitDalek The model looks good all by itself, but that basing takes it to a new level. Your terrain-making skills are serving you well! I particularly like the color choices on the dress - it looks very natural but I'd never have thought to use the brown and green together in the way you've done it. Kudos.

@Viruk Man, you just don't quit with the beautiful models. Seriously, I have no C&C at all. I do have questions though! I like what you've done with the water bases. Did you freehand the submerged plants onto Cojo's base and then pour the water effect over it, or are they actually modeled? What brand of water effect did you use?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

water bases. Did you freehand the submerged plants onto Cojo's base and then pour the water effect over it, or are they actually modeled? What brand of water effect did you use?

It's basically Vallejo still water applied in layers (after each one has dried fully) with different shades of green. I used Tamya cear paints for the mixes and a little Nurgle rot. I applied a layer and then dabbed at it with a brush loaded with brighter shade mixed with Vallejo Still Water, trying to create a random pattern. In the end I gave it two thin layers of V Still Water for the extra glossy effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3