Rail Crew minions for 3rd

dope_danny

So i've been getting a hankering for expanding/mixing up my Rail Crew. Right now i've been using in smaller games the base crew with the Metal Gamin/Rail Golem but through most of 2nd was always recommended i should pick up something like the Steam Arachnids for a Foundry build. With 3rd now in open beta and more people getting hands on with the changes are they still a go to replacement for Rail Workers in a Mei Fenge crew, or is there something else i should be looking at now instead?

There's been a significant reworking of Mei Feng's signature 'Railwalk' ability, renamed to 'Ride the Rails', which alters how she interacts with her crew and generally means she's likely to prefer her keyword. 

One important change is that instead of jumping along a chain of constructs/Scrap markers, she teleports from one Scrap marker to another. So instead of building a chain of constructs for Mei Feng to jump along, you're trying to build a network of scrap markers, meaning a cheap construct like the Steam Arachnid isn't enabling Ride the Rails the way it enables Railwalk in m2e-it drops a scrap when killed, but that's not a method you want to rely on. By contrast, Metal Gamin drop a Scrap marker a turn for free after moving, making them an important model, and Railworkers have a few triggers on their attacks which generate Scrap markers.

The other significant change is that unlike Railwalk, which is unique to Mei Feng, Ride the Rails is an ability of the Foundry crew in general, so in addition to helping build the Scrap network for Mei Feng to teleport along, her themed models then get to teleport along the same network.

The end result of these changes is that her themed minions of Metal Gamin and Railworkers are both more useful to her than the generic Steam Arachnid, and significantly better within her crew. Like a lot of m3e masters, I see her mostly taking out of Keyword models to do a specific task, and as generic cheap minions Steam Arachnids aren't doing a specific task.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

for minions I would still consider Rail Workers and Metal Gamin. I have run 3 x Rail Workers in a crew a few times and that is probably 1 too many. Two of each is probably about right. 

I like the Rail Workers as cheap activation scheme runners that are still pretty survivable (for their cost) with Armor and Hard to Kill and have the ability to put out decent damage relative to similar costed models. With a decent amount of scrap generators in a list the Rail Workers can be really mobile and scheme decently or be your Bomb placers or Marker flippers. I also like having one up front at the beginning of the game to toss a couple of models further forward to start getting the scrap spread early to enable the mobility of the rest of the crew. 

I always use Metal Gamin with her as well. I have had a number of games with 1 x Metal Gamin in my crew but will be using 2 x Metal Gamin for my next few games. WIth Walking Forge, Magnetism, and their other abilities they are definitely worth having in a crew and always perform well for their cost. 

I also like Soulstone Miner in the right scheme pool and will occasionally consider something like a Wind Gamin instead if the match up makes the Miner a less viable option. The Effigy is always an option (match dependent) as well. 

Don't overlook survivors as solid minions in a rail crew. The front of card is about the same (at this stage anyway) with a better WP for survivors and scamper instead of create salvage. On the back of card the rail worker has a slightly better melee attack (because of the 1") but I prefer the bonus action and the ranged action the survivor brings to the table. That's the way I would be leaning if everything stays the same. 

Its nice to see the Rail Workers be more useful. Rail Crew as a box in 2nd always kind of felt like "heres a neat master and minion and kangs okay, now lets just put these workers away and replace them with gamin yeah?".

Also i only realised now i never actually listed what i have for arcnaists i've been using in general:

-Mei Feng

-Emberling

-Kang

-3 Rail Workers

-3 Union Steamfitters

-3 Union Miners

-3 Metal Gamin

-Willie the Demolitionist

-1 Rail Golem

-2 Medical Automatons

- Amina Naidu

-2 Soulstone Miners

-Mechanised Porkchop

I know most in 2nd grabbed Sparks straight away but i just preffered the whole 'union and ten thunders building the railroads' aesthetic and gobbos didn't feel like a nice fit so i kept putting them off. Though based on keywords, extra henchman SS costs and so on i imagine i'll porbably end up swapping something like Amina out of my Rail Crew lists for something else, even if i dont like the looks of it 😛

• 2 weeks later...

He's a frontline support model with basically no defensive tech.  If you can hide him then his basically free Construct heals, Scrapyard Mines, and Hostile Work Environment are awesome, otherwise he'll die in a blink.  Bombs in Yer Belly is a really good upgrade to give out, very nasty making a melee enemy blast onto themselves or their allies