HengeGuardian

Alternate Game Modes

While the game is going through a revision, do you think there is scope to allow for alternate game modes? For example, last night we had 3 players show up to game, and because regular games take a whole session we decided to play a 3 person free-for-all using a modified version of the Reckoning strategy on a 3'x4' board. We had fun and got to test out a lot of our models, but there were quite a few corner cases that arose (mainly around table halves, etc.) We got up to turn 3 in 6+ hours of play before we had to call it. 

Do you feel that there is demand for a faster pick-up-and-play version of the game for teaching new people, or a game mode that supports more than 2 players? The core game is solid at the moment, but I feel like now is the time to implement other options if the demand is there. Thoughts?

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

If I had to hack together M3E versions of Henchman Hardcore and Enforcer Brawl, here's what I'd go for:

Enforcer Brawl

• Open to both Enforcers and Minions
  • No one gets to play a Rider or Yasunori unless they're going to record what happens during the game and post the battle report.

Henchman Hardcore

• The free Soulstone cache for Henchman is 13 - soul stone cost of the leader.  

Honestly, trying to squeeze three deployment zones onto a square table is messy enough that it's probably just as easy just to throw up your hands and go with old fashioned Confused Deployment (or whatever the method was where you put cards down on the table to claim spots for models), have two possible center lines, and each player's deployment zone is determined by the side of the table they put the majority of their cards on (ties broken by card flip).

I think there are some tweaks that need to get made to event resolution.  

I think the important thing to remember is that if a regular game takes a whole session, then a three person game is going to take about 1.5 to two times that.  Because you have that many more interactions happening.

• Like 1

Briefly messed around with henchman hardcore M3e and tried the rule ‘henchman leader may hire Effigy at no cost, but Effigy then counts against the model limit’. At the time we just plonked the models on the table with no cache, and the henchman with free Effigy and 20ss invested into two other models didn’t get to test whether the ‘extra’ 4ss was worth the less useful actions on the table. Want to try it again later, though. With solkan’s suggestion for cache.

For three player I would do for corner deployment. Player stuck between to players deploys last (since they risk being double teamed).

Yeah, I don't know about the effigies in Henchman Hardcore.  Mainly because the totem turning into a $50 model in the middle of the game sort of wrecks the "low entry cost" selling point.  So I'd actually consider specifically not including the free totem in HH3E.

To be honest, my suggestion about free soul stone cache for the henchman hardcore crews is just to force people to have a soul stone cache instead of spending all of their points on models.  And maybe a little bit of suspicion about balance between the henchmen as leaders.  😕 

I second the need/request for faster pick up and play gaming experience.  

Many game designers are going this way.  Local shop doesn't have many who want to play MF because of game length. 

47 minutes ago, Kolath said:

Radical idea... but how do folks think the game would play at 40ss? No other special rules or changes, just 10ss less.

Hard to say, I feel like it would be ok if it wasn't for free things...2nd vik, masters with big totems (hungering darkness, banasuva, lord chompy) 

Yeah, but consider what you’d get if you played a 0SS game—just leaders and free stuff.  Then you’d be a point where some masters work better than others without stones, and some masters work better than others without a backup crew.

Cutting down to 40SS starts getting to “Who needs a support crew?”

• Agree 1

Still, I'd be curious to try out a game or two. Fewer points means fewer models means potentially a shorter game. But points taken on how that relatively shifts the balance.

Ours being a young meta, I spent most of the year leading up to the M3E reveal playing 40 stone games of M2E, because most people had a crew box and an additional box or two. Players were definitely playing to win but of course none of us were experts.

I did not make any particular observation that the games in general became skewy but if someone got an early leg up on the killing, maybe they turned skewy a little faster than a 50 stone game would have?

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:06 PM, Kolath said:

For three player I would do for corner deployment. Player stuck between to players deploys last (since they risk being double teamed).

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:16 AM, Angelshard said:

Also summoners become stronger the less stones you start with.

if all players are willing to agree on houserules like this to balance and/or speed up the game:

Deployment:
each player places alternating a model(starting with the highest cost descending)
(2 player)
anywhere within their table half at least X" away from the centerline or objectives and Y" from any other model
(x palyers)
anywhere X" away from the center(line) or objectives and Y" away from enemy models

Summoners:
drop the line "If XXX is this Crew's Leader, increase this Upgrade's Plentiful Limitation to Plentiful (5)."
other summoning abilities(Succumb To Darkness, Scorch the Soul, Careful Assembly, etc.) can only summen up to X models or models with a total cost of Y each game

i dont say that this will be the solution but i think of the rules as a framework in a none competitive environment

1 hour ago, PeterParkerPlays said:

if all players are willing to agree on houserules like this to balance and/or speed up the game:

Deployment:
each player places alternating a model(starting with the highest cost descending)
(2 player)
anywhere within their table half at least X" away from the centerline or objectives and Y" from any other model
(x palyers)
anywhere X" away from the center(line) or objectives and Y" away from enemy models

Summoners:
drop the line "If XXX is this Crew's Leader, increase this Upgrade's Plentiful Limitation to Plentiful (5)."
other summoning abilities(Succumb To Darkness, Scorch the Soul, Careful Assembly, etc.) can only summen up to X models or models with a total cost of Y each game

i dont say that this will be the solution but i think of the rules as a framework in a none competitive environment

Not quite that simple to adjust the strength of summoning.  Because non-leader summoning masters are expected to be more restricted than leader summoning masters.

"Can only summon up to models with a total cost of Y" is a change that would only be fair if summoning was made significantly easier.  The various restrictions on summoning actions already have the effect of "can only summon up to X models each game" with values of X to suit each summoner.

You can't say "a framework in a non-competitive environment" after "house rules like this to balance the game".  Unless you're just saying you don't care enough to get it right.

Point taken.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:32 AM, solkan said:

Cutting down to 40SS starts getting to “Who needs a support crew?”

and support master?

The question of

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:00 AM, HengeGuardian said:

a faster pick-up-and-play version of the game for teaching new people

is still open.

Yes, i dont know how to balance a game with a small SS pool.

And yes, i have much to learn ahead of me.

But balance is needed, even for a simple intro game. Balance is needed for the non-comp fun games where the VP are the backbone of a great evening and a story to tell the others who didnt had the time to show up.

This is still called a game so at least try to have fun with the people you play against.