Talthar

New Strategies and Schemes?

Any chance that during the Open Beta we'll see any new Strategies and/or Schemes?  I really feel that just four Strategies is limiting, especially when you dislike one of them (I'm looking at you, Corrupted Idols).  The Scheme situation offers more variety, and I realize that we're limited by cards only having four suits and 13 face values, but it would be great if there were a few more choices.

• Agree 3

From what I know in closed, that is all we get. Beside, if we balance the models around those four and make no others, it will truly be balanced. Balanced is better than fun, right?

• Respectfully Disagree 2

Mason previously said he didn't want there to be any more annual Gaining Grounds patches and intended these to be all we'd ever get.  No clue if that's the plan with him gone now

19 minutes ago, retnab said:

Mason previously said he didn't want there to be any more annual Gaining Grounds patches and intended these to be all we'd ever get.  No clue if that's the plan with him gone now

That’s... an idea. I wouldn’t say it’s a good one though, much as I understand the thinking behind it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

That’s... an idea. I wouldn’t say it’s a good one though, much as I understand the thinking behind it.

Trust me, I agree :P  But it was his original plan and I haven't heard anything contrary to it yet

I mean, it’s not a bad idea if you also never intended to release another model again, but releasing anything else later will affect the balance of masters and factions. And as hard as it is to balance specific models with the structure of the game changes I think you need to to keep the game novel and fresh.

Id change it so that the book stuff is always in the pool but GG adds to it and changes each year, so the book stuff is always relevant but not always static. Just my opinion though.

• Agree 2

In my experience corrputed Idols has been frustrating and sometimes just unfair.

The second point of Dig Their Graves has also devolved in a turn 5 mass suicide where your models try to beat least 4 apart from each other, drop a scheme market in base contact with themselves, and proceed to kill each other so that their corpses can score. There's a lot of tech in the game to remove either type of marker, while some models just don't drop them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, retnab said:

Thats the exact opposite of a good idea o0 there's a reasons almost every TT does this rotation of missions. It's one of the easiest fixes against a System becoming static/boring (and dying afterwards).

I can't believe anyone even remotely considered such enormous bullshittery. Even less with the status of the current Strategys/Scemes. (Which i considered very far from a seriouse proposal. More a barely functioning Hotfix while the Models are beeing tested)

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

What I remember from talking to Mason back in Gencon wasn't that there wasn't going to be any gaining ground, but rather that the yearly cycle was too much, as the wave 4 masters (for example) were balanced towards a set of schemes / strats that didn't exist in the next gaining ground.

But again, any info from Mason was in the past.  Things he said were hard and fast (10 being the cap for model cost) have already become more loose, so I wouldn't get worried about anything yet.

5 minutes ago, Sebasthos said:

Plus, I loved Supply Wagons.

I'd take Supply Wagons over corrupted Idols, especially if it were improved just a tiny bit over its predecessor.

• Agree 4
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

the real question is, would you want a gaining grounds document? if you think the strategies and schemes in the rulebook are tough, one's in gaining grounds would be even worse. 

• Respectfully Disagree 4

S&S in the rulebook are bad, even more as they were in m2e for years. GG strategies were better balanced and shifted the meta once a year. And i would think people want exactly that. Achievable, entertaining and balanced S&S.

GG weren't some advanced gaming secret tech document

• Agree 1

And in addition, I would like to see some asynchronous (story) encounters.

Because not everybody is playing at tournaments all the time and I agree, after one year, the strats & schemes we actually know will get boring and repetetive.

Balancing is important, no question, but fun may not fall by the wayside. And it will, at the latest after some time.

• Agree 6