Sign in to follow this  
Haunted_Miniatures

Friend and I are new to Malifaux, help us pick a crew (just the crew box, no additional models) to learn the game with.

Friend and I are new to Malifaux, help us pick a crew (just the crew box, no additional models) to learn the game with.   

45 members have voted

1. 1. What is the strongest, most straightforward crew box (without additional models or using complicated synergies)?

• No Shelter Here - Pandora
    • Hide and Seek - Dreamer
    • The Thunder - Misaki
    • Temple of the Dawn - Shenlong
    • Hired Swords - Viktoria
    • The Plague Commeth - Hamelin
    • Children of December - Rasputina
    • Smoke and Mirrors - Colette
    • Beacon of Knowledge - Sandeep
    • Take Back the Night - Molly
    • Vengeful Spirits - Kirai
    • The Mercy of Death - Reva
    • The Guild's Judgement - Lady Justice
    • The Latigo Posse - Perdita
    • The Torch and the Blade - Sonnia
    • Other - Write-in candidate in comments

If you do not mind getting  4 models extra (two extra smaller packs)... then Mei Feng is a lot of fun with her crews fantastic mobility. You will need to buy Metal Gamin (Iron Gamin) and Metal Golem (Rail Golem), because they drop scrap automatically at end of their activation and your whole crew will teleport around the table with those scraps :)
My first M3E game was with them and even though I lost big time versus Pandora - I had a lot of fun with them!

Viks are better killers - but the Mei Feng crew is a little tough to kill for vanilla Viks so it is good to learn with those two crew versus each other (ronins have ignore armor, but they are not super killers so the high armour on some of Mei Fengs crew is quite tough for the overall of the Viks crew).

With Mei Feng it is extra important to focus on schemes more than killing as far as I can tell.

Glad I could help. I thought about the increment scenarios from the 2 player starter (which I used to start, and I taught in gencon demos).  I'm not crazy about them cause they only really teach attack skills, so (specially with the starter boxes) it showed off my previous worries of melee v ranged crews limiting fun. 

I do like the starter box setup of a hench / enforcer / 2 identical minions for a super intro game (with maybe a strat and a scheme and a couple stones) but as you started the conversation talking about master boxes I didn't wanna go deep down that path.  

If you wanted to give that a try Taelor / Vanessa / 2 Ronin v Frank / Santiago / 2 monster hunters (or 2 pistolers whichever balances the SS better) could be a good starting pt for either the incremental scenarios or to jump into a 1 strat / 2 scheme game (although 4 models is pretty low for most strats/schemes so prolly just harness or deliver with turf or no strat).

Mirror matches are also good. I just never had the models to pull it off so I didn't even think of it ha.

• Like 1

Well that makes you better than me at Photoshop, I'd be playing with blank bases with numbers on em, ha. 

I assume you're no where near Massachusetts, cause I'd do a demo game to get you/your friend started if you were nearby.  You could check to see if there's any henches / m3e testers in your area who'd do an intro game.

No worries, I assumed that was him since I looked up Santiago and saw he was in Perdita's box.

Sadly, I'm not in Massachusetts and my nearest LHS is over an hour away, with my schedule it's pretty difficult to get in games with the usual crowd. Hoping I'll be on a more mainstream schedule soon.

Ah too bad. No worries tho.  If you had any questions feel free to send me a message here and I can try and help out (or just keep posting in the forum).

There's been a lot of good master ideas in this thread (nice to see everyone has a few favorites).  I definitely spent way too long starting m2e trying to find the perfect entry pt (and ended up taking too long so I got a master as a gift and I still play him all the time ha), so I'd say print some proxies and jump in. The first couple games may be rough but it's a good system.

• Like 1

It is fun to think of Mei Fengs crew as a team of rail workers that quickly/instantly turns scraps on the ground into rails they can ride on all over the terrain :) The Gamins are pooping out rails all over the place 🤣

I love their concept! Though they might not need it I do feel they could use one or more super beaters within their theme.

• Like 1

She's actually pretty easy (but I started with zipp/Titania so I'm crazy) and looks like the image was lost to the ether. The forums have a low limit on pictures so they usually recommend hosting on imgur or other places and pulling em in that way.

3 hours ago, Haunted_Miniatures said:

That is an interesting visual, she definitely looks cool. I bet she is a royal pain to assemble.

Mei's box were the first minis I ever built and painted, Mei, Kang, and the Emberling (now Foundling) are super easy to assemble. Just dont put Kang's hat on, never put Kang's hat on....

The rail workers on the other hand were a pain for someone with literally no experience. The assembly isnt terrible, but the one with the basket on his back and the one with the hat on his back taught me that sometimes its better to paint before assembly....

8 hours ago, muraki said:

She's actually pretty easy (but I started with zipp/Titania so I'm crazy) and looks like the image was lost to the ether. The forums have a low limit on pictures so they usually recommend hosting on imgur or other places and pulling em in that way.

That is surprising, I figured the boards or rails or whatever would be a nightmarish lattice to assemble. Yea, I found it, apparently it was over the size limit and I don't see any option to delete the bugger. I'll try the Imgur link in this response. Paperfaux

5 hours ago, Mycellanious said:

Mei's box were the first minis I ever built and painted, Mei, Kang, and the Emberling (now Foundling) are super easy to assemble. Just dont put Kang's hat on, never put Kang's hat on....

The rail workers on the other hand were a pain for someone with literally no experience. The assembly isnt terrible, but the one with the basket on his back and the one with the hat on his back taught me that sometimes its better to paint before assembly....

Oh yea, not sure what the hat looks like, but the shirtless bald head look is definitely better.

5 hours ago, Mycellanious said:

Oh, and the Railworkers all have alternate prosthetics options, so thats cool. Kang gets to choose between a hammer or a shovel (shovel all day ery day)

Ooo, The Shoveler!

3 minutes ago, Haunted_Miniatures said:

That is surprising, I figured the boards or rails or whatever would be a nightmarish lattice to assemble. Yea, I found it, apparently it was over the size limit and I don't see any option to delete the bugger. I'll try the Imgur link in this response. Paperfaux

Oh yea, not sure what the hate looks like, but the shirtless bald head look is definitely better.

Ooo, The Shoveler!

The fense Mei stands on is assembled, you just have to put her on it.

And in M2E Kang's MI attack was called "Whomping Shovel" with a trigger called "Good Whomping." Shovel all the way

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just wanted to thank those that voted, and an especially big thanks to those that replied with their thoughts why a crew was a better fit or advice on match ups. I think (subject to change lol) my friend and I have decided on The Latigo Posse and Hired Swords as our starting crews.

• Like 3