Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Revoke23

M3E Open Beta from a Non-M2E players perspective

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, Argelius said:

Thank you for your feedback, it's nice to hear from a knowledgeable outsider. What faction drew your attention the most?

At first the Arcanists, for their backstory and the whole battle mage feel to them... 
Though Now I really like the Outcasts as well. 

To be honest I like all the factions stories and aesthetics, those are just my top two. It's been quite hard to pick a favorite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great feedback from someone new to the system. I think a lot of folks fail to remember not everyone has the experience/insight of ME2 to compare ME3 to, and accessibility to new players coming from other game systems is definitely a goal of the new edition.

Also good to hear from more locals - I also frequent Giga-bites for Thursday night Malifaux.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nomadicXnightmare said:

Great feedback from someone new to the system. I think a lot of folks fail to remember not everyone has the experience/insight of ME2 to compare ME3 to, and accessibility to new players coming from other game systems is definitely a goal of the new edition.

Also good to hear from more locals - I also frequent Giga-bites for Thursday night Malifaux.

I wish I could. Unfortunately I am at work on Thursdays, I get down there on some Sundays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback, I'm sure getting this from new players is really helpful for the designers.

Just in case you're still struggling over the 2 questions you raised,

Pandora has a resistance trigger so when she makes an opposed Df or Wp duel (She is using the Df or the Wp stat) and she gets the :tome in the duel, she can activate the trigger. (full rules at page 9 of the current PDF).

Summoning - You can summon anything you're allowed to summon, no need to have paid for it, or pre-selected it. Its more akin to raising undead units in WFB as opposed to deep striking in 40K.  There may be a few models that you can hire that don't start on the table but they will tell you this in their own rules, as well as telling you how they get to appear on the table.

 

I hope you keep enjoying the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Adran said:

Thanks for the feedback, I'm sure getting this from new players is really helpful for the designers.

Just in case you're still struggling over the 2 questions you raised,

Pandora has a resistance trigger so when she makes an opposed Df or Wp duel (She is using the Df or the Wp stat) and she gets the :tome in the duel, she can activate the trigger. (full rules at page 9 of the current PDF).

Summoning - You can summon anything you're allowed to summon, no need to have paid for it, or pre-selected it. Its more akin to raising undead units in WFB as opposed to deep striking in 40K.  There may be a few models that you can hire that don't start on the table but they will tell you this in their own rules, as well as telling you how they get to appear on the table.

 

I hope you keep enjoying the game

Hey! 
Thank you so much! Yeah when the Pandora question was raised, and I couldn't find anything specific enough to satisfy a definitive answer I dug through the 2E rulebook and figured out how to decipher and read the ability. I do appreciate you explaining it as well since it lets me know I am interpreting things right. 

Thank you for the clarification of summoning, That was what I was figuring after re-reading it several times and pondering, but it's awesome to hear it. 

Any helpful tips on speeding up play? We tend to have about four hours to play and rarely get past turn 2. Not sure if it's because we're trying to figure things out, or just morons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done on working the stuff out.

The best thing to speed up the game is learning what your crew does, and what your opponents crew does. That's pretty hard in a beta, but persevere. Once the rules become locked in, and you know what your crew does you'll typically find it speeds up. There are a lot more decisions to make in Malifaux than in most games, so expect the learning games to take quite a while. After all every single duel you do in a turn you could both cheat. As you get used to them, you'll have a much better idea which duels you will want to cheat and you can quickly pass the rest by with minimal thought.

From a very early learning perspective, choose multiples of the same type of figure where possible. If you're playing Pandora and you have 3 sorrows from her box, then that's only 1 profile you have to learn to cover a third of your crew. It also helps learn what they are good for, and how adaptable that model might be, because you see them in lots of different situations.

There is roughly a 3 step process - Learn the game rules, learn your crew, ;learn your opponents crew.

Learn your cards, if you don't need to keep finding the card to find out what its Df is every time you get attacked it will save those few seconds each time. (also if you know things like the triggers you have)

Make a plan on how you hope to score points, and try and stick with it. Yes things change, but if you have a basic plan its much easier to try and keep its aim in mind as something to focus on when you are making the choices.

Once you know what your enemy can do, its much easier to make allowances for them, which means you often need to spend less time thinking during the turn.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Adran said:

Well done on working the stuff out.

The best thing to speed up the game is learning what your crew does, and what your opponents crew does. That's pretty hard in a beta, but persevere. Once the rules become locked in, and you know what your crew does you'll typically find it speeds up. There are a lot more decisions to make in Malifaux than in most games, so expect the learning games to take quite a while. After all every single duel you do in a turn you could both cheat. As you get used to them, you'll have a much better idea which duels you will want to cheat and you can quickly pass the rest by with minimal thought.

From a very early learning perspective, choose multiples of the same type of figure where possible. If you're playing Pandora and you have 3 sorrows from her box, then that's only 1 profile you have to learn to cover a third of your crew. It also helps learn what they are good for, and how adaptable that model might be, because you see them in lots of different situations.

There is roughly a 3 step process - Learn the game rules, learn your crew, ;learn your opponents crew.

Learn your cards, if you don't need to keep finding the card to find out what its Df is every time you get attacked it will save those few seconds each time. (also if you know things like the triggers you have)

Make a plan on how you hope to score points, and try and stick with it. Yes things change, but if you have a basic plan its much easier to try and keep its aim in mind as something to focus on when you are making the choices.

Once you know what your enemy can do, its much easier to make allowances for them, which means you often need to spend less time thinking during the turn.

Thank you so much! This is super helpful and I will pass it on to my guys. 

I have been struggling because I think I've been switching crews to much, I'm just gonna stick with the Viktorias and I have one question there, Since it's one card to cover two models, and both are masters now, then BOTH models get three AP correct? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Revoke23 said:

I have been struggling because I think I've been switching crews to much, I'm just gonna stick with the Viktorias and I have one question there, Since it's one card to cover two models, and both are masters now, then BOTH models get three AP correct? 

Your leader and all your masters get 3 AP, so yes both viks get 3 ap. (page 24)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...